•   
  •   

Ireland 'Conditions are difficult enough today': Search set to resume for missing fisherman off Wexford coast

07:25  07 january  2020
07:25  07 january  2020 Source:   thejournal.ie

Lucky start to the year as Wexford punter scoops €1m in prize bond draw

  Lucky start to the year as Wexford punter scoops €1m in prize bond draw A lucky Wexford punter has scored €1m in a Prize Bond that was purchased in 2014. The week’s Star Prize amounted to €1m, which has gone to a lucky buyer with the number XO 461388 held in Wexford, who purchased the bond five years ago.Over 4,900 prizes awarded in the week’s Prize Bonds Draw amount to cash prizes of over €1,262,000.A grand prize of €1m is awarded on the last weekly draw of June and December, with weekly draws of €50,000.Prize Bonds are state savings where instead of interest, bond holders can win cash prizes every week.The winnings are tax-free and can be cashed within three months.

A SEARCH FOR a missing fisherman off the coast of Wexford is due to resume this morning but there are fears that bad weather may impact the search today . On Saturday night, the alarm was raised that a fishing boat was in difficulty off Hook Head. It came in the form of an automatic signal

A major search and rescue operation for a missing fisherman is to resume off the Cornish coast . Coastguard and lifeboat crews were called out to The alarm was raised at 14:35 BST on Monday, and the search was suspended at 20:30. It is due to resume at 07:00. A second man was recovered

a helicopter flying high up in the air: An Irish Coast Guard rescue helicopter will assist the search. © Sam Boal Rollingnews.ie An Irish Coast Guard rescue helicopter will assist the search.

A SEARCH FOR a missing fisherman off the coast of Wexford is due to resume this morning but there are fears that bad weather may impact the search today. 

On Saturday night, the alarm was raised that a fishing boat was in difficulty off Hook Head. It came in the form of an automatic signal being sent to the Coast Guard that the boat sank rather than an alarm raised by the individuals on the boat. 

The Coast Guard initiated a search that evening which remains ongoing.

Two men were aboard the boat which sank. One of the men – Joe Sinnott – was taken to University Hospital Waterford where he has since died.

Coast Guard helicopter to the rescue after person cut off by tide on Sandymount beach

  Coast Guard helicopter to the rescue after person cut off by tide on Sandymount beach Rescue 116 was already airborne on a previous mission on a busy New Year's DayRescue 116 was already airborne on a previous mission on a busy New Year's Day when the call came in to say a person had been cut off by the tide on the south Dublin beach.

A search has resumed for a fisherman missing since the trawler he was on sank on Saturday The search operation for William Whelan, 41, from the Fethard-on-Sea area of Co Wexford is The sinking of the trawler, the Alize, has left families and communities on the southeast coast devastated.

Searches have been called off for the night for a fisherman missing off the south Wexford coast . Paddy Barry, 51, went missing yesterday afternoon. Naval divers searched the area yesterday evening and this morning, and another search will take place later today . Sea conditions are very

Willie Whelan remains missing. 

The search was stood down yesterday evening amid failing light and an imminent weather warning.

Speaking to RTÉ Radio One’s Morning Ireland today, Coast Guard unit manager Niall Ferns that the intention was to resume the search at first light today.

A Status Yellow Gale warning is in place for southerly winds on Irish coastal warnings, and Ferns said this will affect the search. 

“At the moment, unfortunately, the winds have increased [with] gale force 8 southerly winds,” he said. “That is going to have an impact on the search today.”

He said that the search will still be assisted by local RNLI crews, local fishing vessels and the Coast Guard helicopter 117 out of Waterford but added that the weather conditions may mean a “smaller search”. 

Fisherman dies and search continues for second man after trawler sinks off Wexford coast

  Fisherman dies and search continues for second man after trawler sinks off Wexford coast Fisherman dies and search continues for second man after trawler sinks off Wexford coastThe serious incident happened near Hook Head at around midnight with several rescue agencies responding to the scene.

Day-by-day assessment in search for missing fisherman after mate found dead in the surf. Police and surf life guards reassess surf conditions in the search for a missing fisherman at Waihi Beach. No new clues have been found in the search for a missing fisherman likely swept from rocks while

The search will resume today for six fisherman missing after their trawler capsized off the QLD A search is due to resume at first light this morning for a Wexford man who has been missing since the Search conditions yesterday were difficult , with a strong wind blowing onshore and visibility

“There is a possibility the weather on scene will improve this afternoon,” Ferns said. “We’ll be continuing with the search with all the assets we have.”

Also speaking to Morning Ireland, independent local councillor Ger Carty extended his deepest sympathies to the Sinnott and Whelan families. 

He said Joe Sinnott was a 65-year-old married man with four children who had fishing and the sea “in his DNA”. 

“Something catastrophic happened,” Carty said, referring to the incident on Saturday night. “Today, it’s a mystery.”

[These kinds of incidents] have a lasting effect on a tight-knit community. Everyone knows everyone on the coast. It has a ripple effect… Conditions are difficult enough today. We hope and pray this search will reap benefit and bring William Whelan back to his family.

MORE NEWS:

Family of tragic fisherman speak (Independent.ie)

Trump defends Iran strike threat (The Guardian)

Warnings in place for strong winds (Irish Mirror)

NZ gives military support to Oz (The Guardian)

Verona Murphy says she's 'not a racist' as she confirms run as independent general election candidate in Wexford .
Former TD Marian Harkin has also announced a tilt at the Dáil, while Sinn Féin’s only MEP Matt Carthy is also intending to run.Harkin will contest for a seat in the Sligo-Leitrim constituency where she held a seat between 2002-2007.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 0
This is interesting!