US News Man dies of 'projectile wound of the head' after vape pen explodes

07:20  17 may  2018
07:20  17 may  2018 Source:   foxnews.com

Bus explodes in Rome’s historic centre after ‘short circuit’

  Bus explodes in Rome’s historic centre after ‘short circuit’ No-one was hurt after the flames engulfed the bus and charred nearby buildings.A public bus has exploded into a ball of fire in the heart of Rome’s historic centre after an apparent electrical short circuit.

Tallmadge D'Elia's official cause of death was listed as " projectile wound of the head " and ruled accidental. A 38-year-old Florida man was killed when the vape pen he was using exploded , launching two pieces of the object into his head .

On Tuesday, a local medical examiner released their report that concluded a 38-year-old man in St. Petersburg, Florida, died due to an explosion in his vape pen that sent two The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s report lists the official reason for his demise as a “ projectile wound of head .”

A 38-year-old Florida man was killed when the vape pen he was using exploded, launching two pieces of the object into his head. Tallmadge “Wake” D’Elia’s official cause of death, which is the first e-cigarette fatality in the U.S., was listed as “projectile wound of the head” and ruled accidental.

D’Elia, who died on May 5, also suffered burns on nearly 80 percent of his body, The Tampa Bay Times reported. Firefighters discovered him in an upstairs bedroom at the St. Petersburg home after responding to a fire alarm. At the time of his death, D’Elia was using a “mod” type of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works pen that was manufactured in the Philippines.

Second British rugby player dies in Sri Lanka

  Second British rugby player dies in Sri Lanka A second British rugby player has died in Sri Lanka after being taken to hospital with breathing difficulties, police have said. Tom Baty, 26, died in hospital in Colombo while on tour with amateur team Clems Pirates, part of Durham City RFC. On Sunday his team-mate Thomas Howard, 25, who was also taken to hospital with breathing difficulties, died soon after the pair were admitted. The club said in a statement on its website: "It is with great sadness that the club can now confirm that Tom Baty, 26, from Durham City has died this afternoon following his admission to hospital on Sunday, 13 May.

An Idaho man shared gruesome images of the injuries he reportedly sustained after his vape pen exploded in his face, forcing intensive care doctors to pull chunks of plastic from his throat. Hall was rushed to intensive care where he posted images of his extensive wounds .

(WFLA) - Investigators believe a 38-year-old St. Pete man died after a vape pen he was smoking exploded . An autopsy will determine if the explosion killed D’Elia or if it knocked him unconscious, trapping him inside the fiery room.

“This is a terrible shock,” Christopher D’Elia, the man’s father, told ABC Action News. “Anybody who has lost a son doesn’t want anybody else to lose a child to something like this. A 38-year-old should not be gone, and his mother and I are devastated.”

  Man dies of 'projectile wound of the head' after vape pen explodes © Provided by Fox News

The report did not reveal a cause for the device explosion, but a representative told ABC Action News that it was likely due to an atomizer or battery issue. The company said they’ve encountered previous issues with other manufacturers creating imitation batteries.

“I don’t know much about the vape technology,” Christopher D’Elia told the news outlet. “I didn’t really find what he was doing attractive, and I asked him not to do it in the house because I didn’t like the odor, and he didn’t. His mother and I weren’t home, so that’s why he may have been using it inside.”

While the exact circumstances surrounding the explosion are unknown, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises against carrying e-cig batteries loose in pockets to avoid coming in contact with coins, keys or metal objects. It also recommends charging the device on a flat surface away from anything that can catch fire, and to avoid charging it while sleeping or leaving it unattended.

D’Elia’s obituary said he was a television producer and recently moved to Florida with his wife, Maria Lamberti.

Murder probe after carer dies in flat of ‘dementia sufferer’, 95 .
A 61-year-old woman was taken to hospital with head injuries after the incident in Islington, north London.The elderly man, who neighbours said was frail and uses a walking stick, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!