US News: One ex-British soldier to be charged over Bloody Sunday shootings - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

US NewsOne ex-British soldier to be charged over Bloody Sunday shootings

13:15  14 march  2019
13:15  14 march  2019 Source:   news.sky.com

Boris Johnson defends Bloody Sunday soldiers, and asks why the IRA 'got away with' Troubles crimes

Boris Johnson defends Bloody Sunday soldiers, and asks why the IRA 'got away with' Troubles crimes Four ex-British soldiers could be charged with the 1972 shooting of unarmed marchers.

Bloody Sunday , sometimes called the Bogside Massacre, was an incident on 30 January 1972 in the Bogside area of Derry , Northern Ireland

LONDON — The police in Northern Ireland arrested a 66-year-old man on Tuesday in connection with Bloody Sunday , the infamous massacre of unarmed civilian marchers by British soldiers in Londonderry on Jan. 30, 1972.

One ex-British soldier to be charged over Bloody Sunday shootings © Getty The Saville inquiry criticised the decision to send troops into the Bogside estate in vehicles

One former British soldier is to be charged with the murders of two men and the attempted murders of four others over the Bloody Sunday shootings.

There was insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction for the other 16 former soldiers, the Public Prosecution Service said.

Families gathered outside The Museum of Free Derry, yards from where the killings took place 47 years ago, and marched together to the city centre to hear the decision.

Thirteen people were killed and 15 others injured on 30 January 1972 when troops of the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment fired on demonstrators during a civil rights march in Derry.

Boris Johnson defends Bloody Sunday soldiers, - and asks why the IRA 'got away with' Troubles crimes

Boris Johnson defends Bloody Sunday soldiers, - and asks why the IRA 'got away with' Troubles crimes Boris Johnson defends Bloody Sunday soldiers, - and asks why the IRA 'got away with' Troubles crimes

He is the first person and the first former soldier to be arrested about the Bloody Sunday killings. This incident took place about 15 minutes before the main shootings and at a location away from the other killings. The soldiers who fired were targeting 15-year-old Damien Donaghy, who was struck in

British soldiers may be charged over involvement in Bloody Sunday shootings . John Kelly brother of victim Michael says 18 soldiers are being The PPS said it was actively considering Bloody Sunday investigation files it received in December, but added: ‘It is likely to be some time before any

One ex-British soldier to be charged over Bloody Sunday shootings © Getty The Saville inquiry dismissed suggestions the demonstrators were armed with guns and nail bombs

An image of a Catholic priest waving a blood-stained handkerchief as he tried to help a victim to safety was seen around the world.

The troops were sent into the Bogside nationalist housing estate to deal with riots which followed the march defying a ban on public processions.

In 2010, a public inquiry under Lord Saville - ordered by former prime minister Tony Blair in 1998 - concluded the killings to have been "unjustified and unjustifiable".

One ex-British soldier to be charged over Bloody Sunday shootings © Getty Thirteen people were killed by British soldiers on Bloody Sunday

The investigation, which lasted 12 years and cost around £195m, dismissed suggestions the dead had been armed with guns and nail bombs.

Northern Ireland’s parties split over prosecution of Bloody Sunday soldiers

Northern Ireland’s parties split over prosecution of Bloody Sunday soldiers The Democratic Unionists oppose the prosecution of the soldiers, while Sinn Fein said they should face the courts.

The former soldiers under investigation over Bloody Sunday are thought to now be in their 60s and 70s. One of the veterans, a former sergeant who The recent death of one of those under investigation prompted calls for the investigations and any legal proceedings to be brought to a conclusion soon.

Prosecuting British soldiers over the deaths of civilians on Bloody Sunday would set a "dangerous precedent" for the Army's future operations around Lord Ramsbotham, who was a military assistant to the Chief of the General Staff at the time of the shootings , said he is hopeful that soldiers from

It also criticised the decision to send soldiers into the estate in vehicles.

The paratroopers were not identified by the Saville inquiry. They were known only by a sequence of letters.

The outcome of the inquiry opened up the possibility of criminal charges being made against the troops involved.

Then prime minister David Cameron also apologised to the families of the victims in a statement in the House of Commons.

An investigation by the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) followed the inquiry and files on 18 soldiers were submitted to prosecutors in 2016 and 2017 for consideration. One veteran has since died.

Four other soldiers included in the Saville report died before police had completed their investigation.

Papers before prosecutors included 668 witness statements and numerous photos, video and audio evidence.

Libby Squire suspect charged with further unrelated offences.
A man arrested in connection with the disappearance of student Libby Squire has been charged with seven further unrelated offences. © Other Libby Squire at a pub in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire which she enjoys visiting with friends Pawel Relowicz, 24, was remanded in custody last month after he appeared in court accused of voyeurism, outraging public decency and burglary. He was arrested on suspicion of abduction on 6 February in connection with Miss Squire's disappearance and police said he "remains under investigation".

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!