US News: As Many As 100,000 May Have Already Been Displaced by Turkish Offensive in Syria, Rights Groups Say - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

US News As Many As 100,000 May Have Already Been Displaced by Turkish Offensive in Syria, Rights Groups Say

20:25  10 october  2019
20:25  10 october  2019 Source:   newsweek.com

Pompeo insists US didn't give Turkey 'green light' to invade

  Pompeo insists US didn't give Turkey 'green light' to invade Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. "didn't give Turkey a green light" to invade Syria and attack Kurdish forces in an interview Wednesday. "Yeah, well that's just false," Pompeo said in the interview with PBS NewsHour. "The United States didn't give Turkey a green light."Pompeo deflected questions regarding whether the U.S. should take responsibility for the results of the Turkish attacks, including if civilians are killed or if ISIS reemerges.

Turkey says it wants to create a "safe zone" on the border for many of the Syrian refugees on its territory. There are no clear estimates of numbers of displaced , but Kurdish sources say tens of thousands at least have left their Video Turkey 's offensive in Syria : Smoke billows in border areas.

Many of these people have already been displaced multiple times and are already living in terrible conditions. “One of our immediate concerns is the displacement crisis “There are more than 9, 000 children and we are asking their countries to repatriate them immediately, while they still can,” she said .

A Syrian woman walks with her children as Arab and Kurdish civilians amid Turkish bombardment on Syria's northeastern town of Ras al-Ain in the Hasakeh province along the Turkish border on October 9, 2019. © DELIL SOULEIMAN/AFP/Getty A Syrian woman walks with her children as Arab and Kurdish civilians amid Turkish bombardment on Syria's northeastern town of Ras al-Ain in the Hasakeh province along the Turkish border on October 9, 2019.

Rights groups in northeastern Syria have claimed that as many as 100,000 people have already been displaced as a result of Turkey's offensive operation targeting territory held by the U.S.-backed Syrian Defence Forces, the Kurdish group controlling the region.

As the Turkish offensive began this week, the International Rescue Committee had warned that the lives of as many as two million civilians, many of whom had already survived trauma at the hands of the Islamic State militant group (ISIS), as well as multiple displacements, could be at risk.

Turkey says ground forces have crossed over into northern Syria

  Turkey says ground forces have crossed over into northern Syria Turkish ground forces and a Syrian militia group have crossed over into northern Syria, as part of a military operation against Kurdish forces, Turkey's Ministry of National Defense announced Wednesday."The Turkish Armed Forces and the Syrian National Army have launched the land operation into the east of the Euphrates river as part of the Operation Peace Spring," the ministry said on Twitter.The Turkish Armed Forces and the Syrian National Army have launched the land operation into the east of the Euphrates river as part of the Operation Peace Spring," the ministry said on Twitter.

The offensive could displace 300, 000 people living the area, the International Rescue Committee It was thought the offensive - Turkey 's third military operation in northern Syria in three years Mr Bali said the towns of Kobane, to the west, and Qamishli, to the east, had been hit by Turkish shelling.

“ Turkey has no ambition in northeastern Syria except to neutralize a long-standing threat against Turkish citizens and to liberate the local population The offensive threatened to displace as many as 300, 000 people, the group said . Already , there were reports of people fleeing the fighting “with

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the IRC warned that Turkey's military offensive could see as many as 300,000 people displaced, while also cutting off access to life-saving humanitarian services.

"Even a limited military initiative could see 60,000 displaced, the majority of whom were already in dire humanitarian need," the rescue committee said.

By Thursday, however, in the hours after Turkey launched its ground and air assault, local rights groups said the number of those displaced had already surpassed that number, with the Rojava Information Center reporting that as many as 100,000 people were believed to have been displaced, citing estimates from Human Rights Organization of Afrin, a local rights monitoring group.

Turkey says it will cross into Syria 'shortly,' issues warning to Kurdish fighters

  Turkey says it will cross into Syria 'shortly,' issues warning to Kurdish fighters The Turkish government said Tuesday that it will cross into northeastern Syria "shortly," and issued a warning to local Kurdish forces. "The Turkish military, together with the Free Syrian Army, will cross the Turkish-Syrian border shortly. YPG militants have two options: They can defect or we will have [to] stop them from disrupting our counter-ISIS efforts," Turkish government spokesperson Fahrettin Altun tweeted, referring to the Kurdish militia that has worked closely with the U.S. in the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

“ Turkey has no ambition in northeastern Syria except to neutralize a long-standing threat against Turkish citizens and to liberate the local population The offensive threatened to displace as many as 300, 000 people, the group said . Already , there were reports of people fleeing the fighting “with

Two International aid groups say a Turkish military offensive in northeast Syria could displace hundreds of thousands of people, and disrupt humanitarian aid to people who survived the brutal rule of Islamic State militants. It said as many as 300, 000 may be immediately displaced by an offensive .

Photo gallery by photo services

How ISIS Returns

  How ISIS Returns America had the chance to help its local partners ensure ISIS’s lasting defeat. Instead it’s abandoning them.This is the story of how the Islamic State could make its comeback.

“ Many houses, many buildings have been destroyed. It is indiscriminate, massive air bombardment to cause chaos and fear among the people. Launching the offensive , dubbed Operation Peace Spring, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said it was being undertaken by Turkish military and

Turkish forces move into northern Syria , large areas of which are held by Syrian Kurds regarded as a threat by Turkey . Aid agencies said many of those in the area where the controversial offensive is focused have already survived Many have been displaced multiple times during Syria ’s long war.

The Rojava Information Center told Newsweek on Thursday that it had obtained the figure from the local human rights monitoring center, but could not yet confirm the estimates. 

The majority of those displaced, the Rojava Information Center said, had fled the border towns of Ras al-Ayn and Tel Abyad, where IRC staff on the ground had reported shelling and airstrikes, while some had also fled Qamishli and other cities as well.

Video shared on social media, including by the Rojava Information Center, appeared to show traffic jammed with civilians fleeing south in trucks, while photos show families fleeing in vehicles and on foot. 

Meanwhile, Steve Gumaer, the CEO of Christian nonprofit Partners Relief & Development, which has been assisting displaced people on the ground, also independently told Newsweek that his team, located in Qamishli, had put the numbers of those displaced to be as high as 100,000, based on information coming from local groups, as well as from what team members were observing. 

"It's chaos in the cities being bombed," Gumaer said. 

Human rights groups had warned that any Turkish offensive into northeastern Syria could have "disastrous" humanitarian consequences, with Sara Kayyali, a Syria researcher for Human Rights Watch telling Newsweek earlier this week that such an incursion would result in "massive displacement" and cause a "strain on a humanitarian response that is already at its limit."

In a statement sent to Newsweek on Thursday, Médecins Sans Frontières said it could not confirm the number of people who had so far been displaced, but that it had seen "people being displaced from locations along the border due to the conflict."

"We are extremely worried that the military intervention will threaten the safety and wellbeing of the Syrian people," MSF said. The organization said it was also "preparing for a potential increase of patients linked to the conflict" and remained "ready to provide medical care."

Six towns left out of Tidy Towns due to 'technical glitch' to get second chance

  Six towns left out of Tidy Towns due to 'technical glitch' to get second chance Six towns left out of Tidy Towns due to 'technical glitch' to get second chanceJudges in the popular competition will be visiting the towns in the coming weeks after it emerged they were omitted from the competition due to a technical glitch.

Operation Peace Spring ( Turkish : Barış Pınarı Harekâtı) is an ongoing military operation conducted by the Turkish Armed Forces and Syrian National Army (SNA)

"MSF calls for restraint and for the respect international humanitarian law to ensure the protection of the civilian population, hospitals, ambulances and medical personnel as well as humanitarian workers."

According to the Rojava Information Center, at least "10 civilians" were believed to be killed in the Turkish bombardments as of Thursday, with at least 15 more civilians wounded.

The number marks a rise from the seven people believed to have been killed in Turkish attacks on Wednesday, according to a report from The New York Times.

Turkey's offensive began just days after a call between President Donald Trump and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was followed by the U.S. leader announcing that troops would withdraw from the northern border region.

On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo defended Trump's decision, while also denying that the U.S. ever gave Turkey a "green light" to launch its offensive.

In an interview with PBS, Pompeo said Turkey had a "legitimate security concern" and a "terrorist threat to their south." 

However, he said reports that Trump had allowed Turkey to launch its assault were "just false. He added: "The United States didn't give Turkey a green light."

Trump also claimed that the U.S. did not "endorse this attack," branding the initiative a "bad idea." 

The U.S. leader had further sought to defend his decision to withdraw U.S. troops by making the extraordinary argument during a press conference that the Kurds had not fought alongside the U.S. in World War 2, citing Normandy as an example. 

"We have spent a tremendous amount of money helping the Kurds," the U.S. leader said. "They're fighting for their land. When you say they're fighting with the U.S., yes. But they're fighting for their land," he said. 

For nearly five years, Kurdish forces have fought against ISIS alongside the U.S., with thousands of fighters killed—as many as 11,000.

The SDF has warned that the incursion could lead to an ISIS resurgence, with Kurdish forces holding thousands of ISIS fighters in a number of detention facilities in northeastern Syria. 


Six towns left out of Tidy Towns due to 'technical glitch' to get second chance .
Six towns left out of Tidy Towns due to 'technical glitch' to get second chanceJudges in the popular competition will be visiting the towns in the coming weeks after it emerged they were omitted from the competition due to a technical glitch.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 17
This is interesting!