US News: Lawyers urge Duke of York to speak to US police about Epstein case - - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

US News Lawyers urge Duke of York to speak to US police about Epstein case

16:00  18 november  2019
16:00  18 november  2019 Source:   msn.com

Duke of York 'lacking in compassion' for Epstein's victims

  Duke of York 'lacking in compassion' for Epstein's victims The Duke of York is "utterly lacking in compassion" for the victims of billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Those are the words from a lawyer acting for five of those victims a day after Prince Andrew spoke publicly for the first time about allegations surrounding his friendship with the disgraced American.The Duke of York was interviewed on the BBC's Newsnight about his links to the convicted paedophile, who died in prison earlier this year, and allegations that he had sex with a 17-year-old girl.

The Duke of York is facing growing calls to give a formal statement to American authorities examining the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal following his television interview.

Andrew’s appearance on BBC’s Newsnight programme to deny allegations he had sex with an underage teenage girl and explain his friendship with the convicted sex offender, has drawn widespread condemnation but the duke is said to being standing by his decision to put his side of the story.

What the papers say – November 18

  What the papers say – November 18 The front pages are dominated by a sit-down media interview given by the Queen’s second son on his relationship with a sordid character.The Times reports the duke is standing by his decision to give the interview to the BBC, Metro calls him the “Duke of Porkies” and The Daily Telegraph says the Queen “did not give blessing” for the media opportunity.

Saturday’s interview has been widely criticised, with commentators questioning his responses and condemning his unsympathetic tone and seeming lack of remorse over the friendship with Epstein.

Related: Andrew's one regret over BBC interview

a person sitting in a living room filled with furniture and a rug: The Duke of York speaking about his links to Jeffrey Epstein in an interview with BBC Newsnight’s Emily Maitlis (Mark Harrison/BBC) © Mark Harrison/BBC The Duke of York speaking about his links to Jeffrey Epstein in an interview with BBC Newsnight’s Emily Maitlis (Mark Harrison/BBC)

Related: 'Where is his apology for being so closely associated with one of history’s most prolific paedophiles?', victims' lawyer asks

The duke was caught up in further controversy when a newspaper columnist claimed the royal used a racially offensive word during a Buckingham Palace meeting in 2012.

Rohan Silva, who writes for the Evening Standard and at the time was David Cameron’s key aide on the tech economy, said during a discussion about trade policy he asked the royal if the government department responsible for trade “could be doing a better job”.

What the papers say – November 18

  What the papers say – November 18 NASA scientists are exploring the Australian outback.

He told the Standard the duke replied: “Well, If you’ll pardon the expression, that really is the n***** in the woodpile.”

Sources have categorically denied Andrew used the word saying “the duke did not say that”.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York et al. wearing costumes: The Queen reportedly gave the green light for the duke’s television interview (Victoria Jones/PA) © Provided by The Press Association The Queen reportedly gave the green light for the duke’s television interview (Victoria Jones/PA)

Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis, who interviewed the duke, has revealed the Queen gave her approval for the televised questioning.

US lawyer Spencer Kulvin, who represents a woman who claims she was a victim of Epstein, told Radio 4’s Today programme Andrew should come forward to help the ongoing investigation into the disgraced American financier.

Mr Kulvin said: “As a lawyer I was rather shocked that he would go on camera like this because anything he says can be utilised in a cross examination of him later, should he choose to come forward, and actually, in an official capacity, allow himself to be interviewed by the US authorities – which I believe he should do.

What the papers say – November 18

  What the papers say – November 18 Check out Mercury's transit across the sun.

“I don’t think there’s any way that a man who’s been to all three of Mr Epstein’s homes could avoid seeing what was going on in those homes, with people going in and out and young girls being shuttled in and out of those homes.”

Conflicting newspaper reports, based on sources, claim Andrew told the Queen his television appearance on BBC’s Newsnight programme was a success, while another says he expressed to friends regret at not mentioning sympathy for the women trafficked for sex by Epstein.

Speaking on Good Morning Britain, Gloria Allred, a lawyer representing other alleged victims in the Epstein case, said about Andrew: “I don’t see how he could have not known that there were underage girls – minors. Because he did visit homes of Mr Epstein in New York, in Palm Beach, in the Virgin Islands; and I happen to know there were underage girls in all of those locations.

Alleged Epstein victim calls on Prince Andrew to speak to US law officials

  Alleged Epstein victim calls on Prince Andrew to speak to US law officials A woman who claims to have been trafficked and abused by billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein has called on Prince Andrew to speak to US law officials. She did not make allegations against Prince Andrew directly, but said the duke and "any others who are close to Epstein should come forward and give a statement under oath on what information they have".The unnamed woman spoke at a press conference in Los Angeles alongside lawyer Gloria Allred, who represents a number of alleged victims of the disgraced billionaire.

“So, why didn’t he ask the questions: Where are your parents, are you in school, why aren’t you in school, are you living here, are you working here, what kind of job do you have, what do you do, why are you here?” she said.

She went on to say she did not know how the duke could not have seen the young girls because “there were so many of them”.

Asked what questions she would like to ask Andrew, Ms Allred said she wanted to know “Who helped to recruit underage girls for Mr Epstein to be sexually assaulted, who was in the chain, who assisted, who knowingly conspired with Mr Epstein to traffic – to sex traffic – these children to Mr Epstein.”

Pictured: Andrew and Queen out horse riding as charities' reviews continue .
The Queen and Prince Andrew have been out horse riding in the grounds of Windsor Castle estate - as organisations continue to consider their relationship with the duke. It is the second time he has been spotted out and about since his decision to step back from royal duties, following the widely criticised TV interview over his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.The duke was photographed leaving his house the Royal Lodge, in Windsor, Berkshire, on Thursday.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!