•   
  •   

US News Tommy Recco, one of the oldest prisoners in France, will remain in prison

22:40  07 july  2020
22:40  07 july  2020 Source:   lexpress.fr

Oldest French nuclear power plant in Fessenheim before shutdown

 Oldest French nuclear power plant in Fessenheim before shutdown © SEBASTIEN BOZON The oldest French nuclear power plant in Fessenheim near the German border will be shut down on Monday evening (from 11:30 p.m.). The oldest French nuclear power plant in Fessenheim near the German border will be finally shut down on Monday evening (from 11:30 p.m.). After around 43 years of operation, the second of the two reactors not far from Freiburg im Breisgau is also shut down on Tuesday night.

His request for suspension of sentence was rejected by the sentencing chamber of the Bastia Court of Appeal.

Joseph-Thomas Recco alias Tommy Recco ou thomy, s'exprime lors de son procès, le 06 juin 1983, à Draguignan où il comparaît pour le triple meurtre du supermarché de Béziers et le triple meurtre de Carqueiranne. © afp.com/ERIC GAILLARD Joseph-Thomas Recco alias Tommy Recco or thomy, spoke during his trial, June 06, 1983, in Draguignan where he appeared for the triple murder of the Béziers supermarket and the triple murder of Carqueiranne.

Joseph-Thomas says "Tommy" Recco will stay in prison. His request for a medical suspension was denied on Tuesday. One of the doyens of prisoners in France, aged 86, had been sentenced to life imprisonment in 1983 for two triple murders.

READ ALSO >> Prison: once upon a time Baumettes

French ex-prime minister Fillon sentenced to prison

 French ex-prime minister Fillon sentenced to prison Former French presidential candidate François Fillon has been sentenced to imprisonment for his wife's mock employment. © Photo: Thomas Samson / AFP / dpa Francois Fillon (r), former Prime Minister of France, and his wife Penelope Fillon (2nd from right) leaving the courthouse. A Paris court sentenced five years in prison on Monday, three of them on probation, according to the French media. His wife Penelope was also sentenced to three years' probation.

The appeal presented by Joseph-Thomas Recco, who has already made several requests for early release in the past, was rejected by the sentencing chamber of the Bastia Court of Appeal, said the public prosecutor's office before the Bastia Court of Appeal and one of his two lawyers, Me Jean-Sébastien de Casalta.

A future cassation appeal?

The octogenarian, born on May 10, 1934 and detained at the Borgo penitentiary center (Haute-Corse), challenged the first-instance judgment, dated December 2019, which had already rejected his request for suspension of sentence. "I will no doubt appeal to the Court of Cassation," said Jean-Sébastien de Casalta, adding that Joseph-Thomas Recco was "weakened, present with many marked affections and has (served) more than 50 years of detention".

Iran. Franco-Iranian Fariba Adelkhah's five-year prison sentence confirmed on appeal

 Iran. Franco-Iranian Fariba Adelkhah's five-year prison sentence confirmed on appeal © THOMAS ARRIVE / AFP Franco-Iranian researcher, Fariba Adelkhah, photographed in 2012. An Iranian court of appeal confirmed the sentence of five Years in prison imposed on the Franco-Iranian anthropologist Fariba Adelkhah for "collusion in order to attack national security", announced on Tuesday 30 June, a spokesman for the Iranian judicial authority.

READ ALSO >> Following the health crisis, the justice wants to continue to limit incarceration

"On the merits, I had no illusions because he is always in the denial of the facts", has his side, said his other lawyer Alain Lhote, adding that in matters of suspension of sentence, "the jurisprudence provides that medical experts must consider that the state of health is incompatible with detention".

His lawyers to seize the ECHR

Lawyers will study the possibility of seizing the European Court of Human Rights "because some European countries have not known this type of detention for more than 50 years", a added Me Lhote. At the hearing on June 2, the Advocate General requested confirmation of the first instance decision. The civil parties also opposed this request for release.

READ ALSO >> In prison, tensions linked to the Covid but a "situation under control"

The octogenarian had been sentenced to life imprisonment in June 1983 by the Var Assize Court in Draguignan for two triples murders he has always denied: that of three cashiers from a supermarket in Béziers (Hérault) on December 22, 1979, and that of a young girl, her father and one of their neighbors, committed in Carqueiranne (Var) January 18, 1980. In 1962, he had already been sentenced to death for the murder of his godfather but, pardoned by General De Gaulle, his sentence had been commuted to life imprisonment. He had been released in 1977.

Russian investigation. Roger Stone's prison sentence commuted by Donald Trump .
© AFP / Andrew CABALLERO-REYNOLDS Roger Stone at the end of a hearing in Washington, March 14, 2019. The American president ordered a leniency measure on Friday executes to reduce the prison term of Roger Stone, his friend and longtime counselor convicted of congressional lies and witness subordination and sentenced to 40 months in prison as part of the investigation into the Russian interference.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 9
This is interesting!