•   
  •   

US News A second mass grave of soldiers executed under the regime of Omar al-Bashir discovered in Sudan

11:06  24 july  2020
11:06  24 july  2020 Source:   france24.com

USA: Second federal prisoner executed in one week, after dismissal of numerous appeals

 USA: Second federal prisoner executed in one week, after dismissal of numerous appeals

KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Sudan has found a mass grave that most likely contains remains of 28 army officers executed in 1990 for plotting an attempted coup against the former President Omar al - Bashir , the public prosecutor office said late on Thursday. The officers were executed in mysterious

It is the second mass grave discovered since Bashir , who ruled the African country for three decades and ruthlessly crushed. But opposition groups accused the regime of deliberately killing the conscripts and reported a death toll of more than 100. Bashir used conscripts in the civil war against

Une photo prise le 13 juin 2020 montre les membres d'une équipe médico-légale dans un cimetière, où une fosse commune de conscrits tués en 1998 a été découverte, dans le quartier de Sahafa, au sud de la capitale soudanaise Khartoum. © AFP (archives) A photo taken on June 13, 2020 shows members of a forensic team in a cemetery, where a Mass grave of conscripts killed in 1998 was discovered in the district of Sahafa, south of the Sudanese capital Khartoum.

A new mass grave has been discovered in Sudan, the prosecution said Thursday, in which are believed to be the remains of 28 army officers executed in 1990 for seeking to instigate a coup against former President Omar el Bashir.

The bodies of 28 Sudanese army officers, who attempted a coup in 1990 against former President Omar al-Bashir , were found in a mass grave in Omdurman, Khartoum's twin city, announced the prosecution Thursday July 23.

Philippe Pétain. 75 years ago, "the hero of Verdun" appeared before his judges

 Philippe Pétain. 75 years ago, © Archives Philippe Pétain, at Ile d'Yeu. On July 23, 1945, at the Palais de justice de Paris, the trial of Philippe Pétain, French head of state during the German Occupation, accused of conspiring against state security, began before the High Court. and intelligence with the enemy.

President Omar Hassan al - Bashir of Sudan at a rally in Khartoum in 2009 after he was indicted by the International Criminal Court on charges of war crimes and crimes against “So all my life I’ve been under the ruling of Omar al - Bashir . And now we’re happy that for the first time, we actually got to be

It is the second mass grave discovered since Bashir , who ruled the African country for three The bodies of 28 Sudanese army officers involved in a failed coup against former president Omar But opposition groups accused the regime of deliberately killing the conscripts and reported a death toll

This is the second discovery in Sudan since the fall of the autocrat, who ruled the country with an iron fist for 30 years.

It is on the basis of information gathered by a commission of inquiry set up by the prosecutor's office after the overthrow of Omar al-Bashir in August 2019, that the mass grave was found.

"It took three weeks and the participation of 22 experts from different services to locate it. Operations are underway to exhume the bodies and doctors are carrying out tests to identify them," added the prosecutor, Tagelsirr in a statement. al-Hebr.

These officers surrounded the army headquarters as well as several barracks before being arrested and executed.

A first mass grave discovered in June

In mid-June, a mass grave containing the bodies of dozens of soldiers (main photo), executed in 1998 by the regime of Omar al-Bashir while they were trying to desert, had been brought to light by the commission responsible for investigating the murders committed in the Ailefoun military camp, south-east of Khartoum.

In Sudan, the trial of the dictatorship of Omar al-Bashir begins

 In Sudan, the trial of the dictatorship of Omar al-Bashir begins © Ebrahim Hamid, AFP (archives) Former Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir at the opening of his trial for corruption in August 2019 in Khartoum. In custody in Kober prison, former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir appears on Tuesday in Khartoum, where he faces the death penalty for his 1989 coup. A trial for history, but also to ward off the specter of coups d'état, customary in Sudan since independence. The hour of judgment has come in Sudan.

Omar Al Bashir . Khartoum: The bodies of 28 Sudanese army officers involved in a failed coup against former president Omar Al Bashir in 1990 have been found in a mass grave , prosecutors said on Thursday.

It is the second mass grave discovered since Bashir , who ruled the African country for three decades and ruthlessly crushed dissent, was overthrown by the army during street protests last In mid-June, they uncovered a mass grave of conscripts allegedly killed after trying to flee a military camp in 1998.

In April 1998, several dozen young conscripts were killed while trying to escape from the insanitary Ailefoum camp where their training was taking place, in order to join their families for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

Rejecting the accusations addressed to them, the Sudanese authorities at the time, responding to ex-president Omar al-Bashir, affirmed that the young soldiers had drowned in the Blue Nile. Officially, 55 bodies were recovered after the boat carrying the conscripts sank.

This official version was quickly contested by survivors, families of victims who have never received the remains of their loved ones, as well as several opposition groups which estimate the number of victims at hundreds.

Bashir's military regime used conscripts as a contingent in its war against rebels in the South, a region rich in oil resources that seceded in 2011.

Opening of the Bashir trial in Khartoum

Sudan: the trial of ex-president Omar al-Bashir opened in Khartoum

 Sudan: the trial of ex-president Omar al-Bashir opened in Khartoum © ASHRAF SHAZLY Arrival of the car with ousted Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir who was appearing in court in Khartoum, on July 21 2020 The trial of former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and 27 other people accused of taking power in a coup in 1989 opened in Khartoum on Tuesday, an AFP journalist found . The hearing lasted one hour and was adjourned at 11:20 am (09:20 GMT). The next one has been set for August 11.

Sudan has found a mass grave that most likely contains remains of 28 army officers executed in 1990 for plotting an attempted coup against the former President Omar al - Bashir , the public prosecutor office said late on Thursday. The officers were executed in mysterious circumstances after a quick military

© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: Sudan 's former President Omar Hassan al - Bashir sits inside a cage at the courthouse where he is facing corruption charges KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Sudan has found a mass grave that most likely contains remains of 28 army officers executed in 1990 for plotting an attempted

Since August 2019, Sudan has acquired a transitional civil-military government, responsible for leading the country for three years.

Determined to break with the old regime, the latter seeks to re-establish the truth, long suppressed, on the atrocities and massacres committed under the dictatorship of Bashir.

Convicted of corruption in December 2019, Omar al-Bashir, who is currently detained in Kober prison in Khartoum, is also facing two arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court (ICC) for "crimes of war "," crimes against humanity "and" genocide "in Darfur.

On Tuesday, former Sudanese president appeared before a special court in Khartoum where he must answer for the coup that brought him to power in 1989, a trial unprecedented in the Arab world.

The first hearing lasted only one hour because the room could not accommodate the 191 defense lawyers. The three-judge special court has set August 11 as the next hearing.

The 76-year-old ex-autocrat and 27 other defendants face the death penalty for toppling the democratically elected government of Prime Minister Sadek al-Mahdi 31 years ago.

With AFP

Sudan: More than 60 dead in village in Darfur after raid by gunmen .
This is the bloodiest incident in a series that took place in several parts of Darfur last week © ASHRAF SHAZLY / AFP A special force supported by the Sudanese government in Darfur, September 23, 2017. CONFLICT - This is the bloodiest incident in a series that took place last week in several parts of Darfur In western Sudan , 500 armed men carried out a deadly raid on Saturday in the locality of Masteri, in Darfur , where tribal farmers live.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 0
This is interesting!