•   
  •   

US News Cameroon: trial on December 17 of three soldiers for the murders of civilians

17:15  25 november  2020
17:15  25 november  2020 Source:   france24.com

Ethiopia: new ethnic massacres in the region of Benishangul-Gumuz

 Ethiopia: new ethnic massacres in the region of Benishangul-Gumuz © EDUARDO SOTERAS / AFP A market in the town of Asosa, capital of the regional state of Benishangul-Gumuz (illustrative image). Is Ethiopia capable of extricating itself from the spiral of violence in which it finds itself? Clashes still continue in Tigray province, thirteen days after the launch of a federal army offensive against the TPLF party, which the government calls the Mafia.

In February 2020, Cameroonian soldiers killed 21 civilians in the village of Ngarbuh, in the North West region, in a reprisal attack aimed at punishing the However, officials later admitted that soldiers bore some responsibility for the killings and ordered the arrest of three members of the security forces.

Cameroon admitted on Tuesday that militants acting with three soldiers killed 13 civilians including 10 children in an anglophone region in the west of the country in February. France 24 is not responsible for the content of external websites. Audience ratings certified by ACPM/OJD.

Des gendarmes en patrouille à Buea, la capitale du Nord-Ouest anglophone, le 3 octobre 2018 © MARCO LONGARI Gendarmes on patrol in Buea, the capital of the English-speaking North West, on October 3, 2018

The trial of three soldiers prosecuted for the murders of 13 civilians - including 10 children - during an operation in a village in the separatist English-speaking northwest of Cameroon in mid-February, will open on December 17, the army spokesman told AFP on Wednesday Cameroonian.

The Cameroonian authorities admitted in mid-April that ten children and three women were killed on February 14 by soldiers supported by a militia of the Fulani ethnic group in the Ngarbuh district of the village of Ntumbaw, in the North-West region . According to the UN, at least 23 civilians, including fifteen children (nine under 5 years old) and two pregnant women, had been killed.

The United States is reducing its military presence in Afghanistan and Iraq

 The United States is reducing its military presence in Afghanistan and Iraq © AFP PHOTO / WAKIL KOHSAR Some of the American soldiers will soon be leaving Iraq and Afghanistan. Despite his defeat in the presidential election, Donald Trump has confirmed his intention to reduce the US military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan before the end of his term. The Pentagon says, however, that this is not a total withdrawal.

A Cameroonian soldier shot dead three civilians overnight in the northern town of Mora, sources close to the security services said on Thursday. The man, a corporal deployed as part of the fight against the Nigerian militant Islamist group Boko Haram, killed two women and a boy, according to

Four Cameroonian soldiers were sentenced Monday to 10 years in prison for the execution-style The military court in the capital Yaounde handed down the murder verdict and sentences after the trial was Three soldiers were charged with murder in June over a massacre earlier this year in western

The authorities in Yaoundé denied for two months any responsibility of his army during this operation, before opening an investigation under international pressure.

"Three soldiers are sent to the Yaoundé military court for murder, arson and destruction, violence against a pregnant woman and violation of instructions," army spokesman Colonel Cyrille Atonfack told AFP. adding that the trial would start on December 17

The soldiers and a vigilante group "stormed" a base of separatist rebels and, "after exchanges of fire in which five terrorists were shot", they "discovered that three women and ten children had died as a result of their action," the Cameroonian presidency finally admitted in April.

For two months, Yaoundé had denied and claimed that the death of civilians was the consequence of an "unfortunate accident": the explosion of fuel containers following exchanges of fire between soldiers and separatists.

"We welcome the opening of this trial, considering that we have gone from an outright denial to an investigation, to a presidential statement and now to a trial", Ilaria Allegrozzi reacted to AFP on Wednesday, NGO Human Rights Watch researcher for Cameroon, who believes, however, that some responsible for the massacre, in particular "individuals high up in the chain of command", should also be prosecuted.

Violence in the two English-speaking regions North-West and South-West, where separatist rebel groups and security forces have clashed for three years, have left more than 3,000 dead and 700,000 displaced.

rek-dyg / jhd

Australia ousts 13 soldiers after report of war crimes in Afghanistan .
© Copyright 2020, The Obs The Australian army sacked 13 soldiers this Friday, November 27, following a damning report on their actions in Afghanistan which could constitute war crimes. Army chief Rick Burr said the administration has notified the military of their dismissal in two weeks, unless they succeed in appealing the decision.

usr: 0
This is interesting!