Ownership 6 Ways to Spend Less at the Gas Station
Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas
Premium gas sounds like it’s something special, but it actually translates into paying extra for a higher octane without a performance or fuel economy benefit for many cars. That's what we foundThat's what we found after running tests at our 327-acre track.
Gas prices are a big deal among consumers—the cost of fuel was the leading concern of 64 percent of shoppers, according to a January 2016 survey by the National Association of Convenience Stores (80 percent of the gasoline sold in the U.S. is bought at convenience stores).
They're probably still concerned about gas prices now. Summer price hikes on gasoline could bust a vacation budget.
But these key saving strategies will come in handy on your next stop at the gas station and could save you money.
1. Gas up where value is highest. Don't count on the major oil company brands to offer good gas prices. For value, buy the generic fuel sold by Costco, according to an analysis of 657 million prices coast-to-coast last year by GasBuddy.com. The average price at individual Costco warehouses was almost 20 cents a gallon cheaper than the average charged by competitors in the same ZIP code. See the other top-value sellers in the table below.
Study Shows Top Tier Gasoline Worth the Extra Price
Location and price drive gasoline sales, according to a new survey by the American Automobile Association. But an extensive study also conducted by AAA, reveals that consumers would be wise to fa ctor the quality of the gasoline in their purchase decision. Research Research New Used New & Used Make (e.g. Mazda) Model (e.g. CX-5) Using an independent engine testing lab that specializes in fuel analysis, AAA sought to answer the question: Is “Top Tier” gasoline worth the price? The short answer is yes.
2. Pay with a cash-back credit card. These cards offer cash-back discounts when you use them to pay for qualifying purchases. The discount is often higher when you pay for fuel with the card at the gas station. Two of the best for gas are PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Plus Visa and USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express, both of which pay 5 percent cash back on fuel purchases, according to our exclusive analysis using the Credit Card Adviser Comparison Tool, which covers 55 cash-back cards.
3. Cross state lines. Gasoline taxes can vary significantly from state to state. If you happen to live in a border area, you might score significant savings by filling up at a gas station in the lower-tax state. For example, when you cross from Illinois to Missouri, state gas taxes plummet from 31 cents per gallon to 17 cents, according to the American Petroleum Institute.
A 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle with New Millennium Performance, Safety, and Comfort
This half-century old 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle is as modern as they come with a high-performance power train and advanced suspension along with custom paint and luxurious interior.We immediately know we’re dealing with an enthusiast when we see the block on the tech sheet that asks ‘How long have you been involved?’ When the answer says “ whole life!”, it’s clear that the owner has more than a passing love for the hobby. Bob Phelps from Naples, Florida is one of those lifelong enthusiasts. He smiles when he recalls that he started out as a mechanic, back in 1960, working for less than two bucks an hour at the Detroit Metro Airport.
Average Savings Per Gallon vs. Competitors Within ZIP Code
4. Pay with cash. One in five consumers saves at the gas station by paying with cash instead of a debit or credit card, according to the National Association of Convenience Stores. The cash price is typically 10 cents per gallon lower, but it can run from 5 to 20 cents a gallon, says Patrick DeHann, a senior petroleum analyst at GasBuddy.
5. Don't overpay for premium grade fuel. Premium gasoline cost 50 cents per gallon more than regular at the end of June 2016, according to national averages calculated by AAA. But our testing found that it's okay to use regular and save, even if your car's manufacturer recommends using premium. Check your vehicle owner’s manual, because some automakers say premium is required.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: First Drive Review
The minivan’s inventor unveils the America’s first hybrid version.Minivan Innovation
6. Use the free GasBuddy app. The company behind this leading price comparison tool gathers and analyzes 2 million gas prices per day, which are reported by the app's 15 million users and direct price data feeds from retailers. Another sweet money saver: If you're planning a trip and enter your vehicle information and destination, GasBuddy's trip cost calculator will map out the stations where you should optimally gas up along your route to get the best prices and lowest total fuel cost for your entire trip.
More from Consumer Reports:
Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers on this website. Copyright © 2006-2016 Consumers Union of U.S.
First Drive: Unplugged Performance 2016 Tesla Model X 90D .
Finally, a Model X that looks as quick as it is"When I drove it for the first time, my mind was blown, totally blown," he says. "As a car enthusiast, the experience of driving a Tesla isn't really relatable to anything else. But I would walk up to my car, and it didn't feel as special as it was. When I drove it, it felt special. But when I looked at it, not so much." Unplugged has since started to update Tesla "P" performance variants with a more aggressive, futuristically handsome aesthetic that matches the EVs' unexpected performance. The hope is that even the most hardcore car enthusiasts are now drawn to Teslas.
How to Save Gas with Eight Secret Tips
Watch more How to Save Money on Gas for Your Car videos: http://www.howcast.com/videos/53095-How-to-Save-Gas-with-Eight-Secret-Tips Think you know ...
A Day with Mom
IG: @brandonbored SNAP: fun_brandon VINE: @brandonLOVESYOU FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/bananastud.