Food Potato Fritters in Broth (Tortillas de Papa en Caldillo)
What To Do With Leftover Sweet Potato
We’ll be eating leftover sweet potato for breakfast, dinner, and dessert.Leftover turkey boasts many straightforward, cult-favorite uses—Dad’s leftover turkey sandwich is the stuff of dreams—but what exactly can you do with leftover sweet potato casserole? Don’t worry: we have all the answers. No matter how you’ve prepared your sweet potato—whether it’s still raw, mashed, or topped with marshmallows and baked into a casserole—we have a leftovers solution for you. Whether you like your sweet potatoes for dinner or dessert, sweet or savory, these ideas and recipes will keep things interesting in the days after Thanksgiving.
Bricia Lopez’s new cookbook,, reads like a love letter to traditional Oaxacan cuisine. It’s filled with approachable, authentic recipes, but the potato fritters in tomato broth are first on our list of things to make.
“This dish perfectly captures the art of making something from nothing,” Lopez writes. “In this case, this dish is always there for you when you forgot to buy vegetables or meat but still need to put food on the table.
“These fritters are essentially mashed potato patties fortified with a little whipped egg and cheese to make them surprisingly substantial and delicious,” she continues. “This dish becomes a main course really quickly when you ladle tomato salsa over it and serve it with rice, beans and a pile of tortillas on the side.”
58 Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes for the Slow Cooker
Save space in your oven this Thanksgiving by using your slow cooker to whip up holiday favorites like turkey, sides, easy apps, cozy desserts and more.
We can hear those fritters sizzling now.
From Oaxaca by Bricia Lopez, published by Abrams Books © 2019.
2¼ pounds (1kg) potatoes
1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
½ cup (75g) crumbled queso fresco
¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
1 pound (500g) Roma tomatoes
¼ cup (30g) chopped white onion
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 sprigs fresh parsley
1. Make the Fritters: In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, put the potatoes and enough water to cover by 2 inches, along with a fat pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Strain the potatoes over a colander in the sink and discard the water.
Stock vs. Broth: Which Soup Base Is Best?
They might look the same, but one is better for certain types of recipes. We break down everything you want to know about stock vs. broth. The post Stock vs. Broth: Which Soup Base Is Best? appeared first on Taste of Home.
2. When the potatoes are cool to the touch, use your fingertips to peel them and place them in a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a masher, add the eggs and 1 teaspoon salt, and continue to mash until you form a dough. Add the breadcrumbs and queso fresco and keep mixing until everything is incorporated.
3. Roll the potato mixture into balls about 2 inches in diameter. Flatten each ball to make 4-inch disks that are about ½ inch thick.
4. Heat the oil in a deep skillet. Once hot, add the potato disks and fry on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve on a paper towel–lined plate to absorb any excess grease.
5. Make the Broth: In a blender, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic and 1 cup (240ml) water. Blend until smooth.
6. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and carefully add the tomato mixture. When it starts to boil, add another ½ cup (120ml) water and the parsley. Simmer for about 5 minutes more.
7. To serve, arrange a few potato fritters on each plate and ladle a bit of the tomato salsa on top.
How to Make Your Best Potato Salad Yet .
Make a potato salad everyone will love with this handy guide.Get the Recipes: Classic Potato Salad, Spinach-and-Pea Potato Salad, Lemon Dill Potato Beet Salad, New Potatoes with Shaved Celery, Buttermilk, and Dill, Sweet Potato Salad, Simple Potato Salad
How to make Potato Cakes | Tortitas De Papa Y Queso| Simple Recipe
How to make Potato Cakes | Tortitas De Papa Y Queso| Simple Recipe Many of the items used in the video are on our Amazon Store Front. Link Below Our ...
Mexican Food On A Dime: How To Make Tortas De Papas
Today on Nachita's Kitchen, Nachita will teach you to make tortas de papas. They are also known as Mexican Potatoes Pancakes. This dish is made from ...