Food These Date-Filled Maamoul Cookies Are the Sweetest Way To Get Your Fiber
These Baby Foods Contain Lead, Arsenic, and Other Toxins, Report Finds
Seven baby food companies are the subject of a new report because testing revealed they contain high levels of several toxins.The report, released on Feb. 4, names the baby food brands HappyBABY, Beech-Nut, Earth's Best Organic, Gerber, Campbell's Plum Organics, Walmart's Parent's Choice, and Sprout Organic Foods, and presents results showing that their products have significantly higher levels of toxins than is permitted by regulation. Specifically, the analyzed baby food contained 91 times the arsenic level, 177 times the lead level, 69 times the cadmium level, and 5 times the mercury level.
Ramadan is the holiest month of the year for Muslims. It's a time of prayer, worship, and reading the Quran.. From sunrise to sunset, those participating in Ramadan abstain from all foods and liquids. But at night, food is part of the celebration.
creator says Ramadan is deeply important to her. "It allows me to take a step back from the day-to-day worldly things that consume all of us to focus on what’s [really] important," she says. "It slows down the pace of life and puts things into perspective."
Hubbi says maamoul cookies are a mainstay at any Middle Eastern celebration—including at night during Ramadan. "Maamoul cookies are basically the chocolate chip cookie of the Arab world," she says. "It’s a [type of cookie] that's filled with most commonly with dates, but can also be made with pistachios or walnuts." Hubbi says you can tell what the filling is based on the cookie's shape. "A date stuffed cookie is round shape, walnut is a dome shape, and pistachio is more of a football shape cookie," she says.
One Major Side Effect of Drinking Coffee Every Day While Pregnant, Says New Study
A new study revealed that women who consumed a moderate amount of coffee during pregnancy gave birth to slightly smaller babies.A new study published by JAMA Network Open found that there may be an additional risk associated with drinking even moderate amounts of coffee during pregnancy. The study found that pregnant women who consumed as little as half a cup of coffee per day on average gave birth to slightly smaller babies than women who didn't consume any caffeine. (Related: 108 Most Popular Sodas Ranked By How Toxic They Are).
Dates, the cookies's starring ingredient, are extremely popular in Middle Eastern cuisine, says Hubbi. "Depending on where in the Middle East, the use of dates varies," she says. "In Damascus, where my family is from, it's mainly used in desserts but in other parts, it's used in savory dishes as well." Incorporating dates into desserts adds a natural sweetness, which cuts down on the amount of added sugar that needs to be used. They're also. In fact, just two Medjool dates have the same amount of potassium as a banana. It may be a small fruit, but it's certainly a nutrient-rich one.
Another yummy way to get your fiber? These chia seed crackers. Watch the video below to see how to make them:
In Hubbi's maamoul cookie recipe, dates are used in the form of a date paste, which serves as the cookies's filling. If you're, Hubbi says her favorite dates to use are Joolies, which has curated ($20). You can also buy ($13). Either way, you'll end up with a delicious treat.
A guide to internet cookies, the small files that store information about your online activity
Cookies are small text files that websites store on your computer to help track your online activity.You can think of cookies like a dry-cleaning receipt. When you drop off your clothing, you get a slip of paper that describes how many items you're leaving behind and how they should be cleaned. When you come back days later, that receipt is the key to getting your things back the way you intended.
Maamoul cookie recipe
1 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar optional
1 cup ghee
1/2 cup water or milk as needed
Optional: 1/2 tsp
1 13 oz
1 Tbsp ghee
For the cookies:
1. In a large bowl, mix together farina, flour, sugar (if using) and ghee until fully combined. Keep kneading for about seven to 10 minutes. You want it to be very well incorporated. Gradually add the water or milk in small amounts as kneading. Then cover and let rest for 30 min.
For the date filling:
1. The date paste should be soft and easy to mold with your hands (you can warm it up in the microwave if needed).
2. Add a tablespoon of ghee to date paste and mix until it’s fully incorporated. Take chunks of date paste and roll them into balls. This part can get a little tricky because you want the size of the balls to be in proportion with the size of the mold you’re using for the cookie. About a tablespoon-sized ball is usually a good starting place and you can take away or add more if needed.
Hooters Is Opening a New, Fast-Casual Restaurant Chain Spinoff
The pandemic was rough on the chain whose 40-year customer draw was its servers. Enter Hoots Wings, Hooters' new concept minus table service.Tank tops that runneth over and neon orange short-shorts might have been in style when the first Florida Hooters was established in 1983—but how times have changed. In 2008 Hooters had 400 locations that made nearly a billion dollars in revenue each year—but by 2016, they'd shut down about 15% of those, according to a 2018 report from Mashed.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Begin with a piece of cookie dough about the size of a golf ball. Start to create a bowl shape by pressing out the edges so you make room to fill it with the dates. Then, take the date balls and stuff them in the little space you molded in the cookie dough. Now enclose the date filling with the cookie dough you’re already working with, or add a little more dough to close the top so that you have a round cookie dough ball with a date ball in the middle. You will then take that and press it into a maamoul cookie mold, tap it to loosen the cookie, and voila!
2. Place cookies on a parchment or foil-covered cookie sheet and bake for 20 min. You want the cookies to still be light in color with just a slight touch of golden brown. Since ovens vary, it’s best to check on them a few minutes before and adjust accordingly.
3. After cookies are cool, you can sprinkle powdered sugar on top or eat them just as they are!
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cult-fave wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content., our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Enter Email Address
Guy Fieri Just Called Out This Billionaire for Not Helping Food Workers .
After raising $25 million for restaurant workers, Guy Fieri has put one billionaire on blast: He "didn't help us," Fieri has revealed.Hollywood Reporter has pointed out that over the years, Guy Fieri's had to prove himself to some of the high-brow culinary class. But after his recent success raising $25 million to aid the restaurant industry, some in the business say they are officially believers. In April, Fieri told CBS why he was so worried for the nation's restaurant workers: Because a lot of people in the restaurant industry work "multiple jobs, second jobs," he said, to support themselves and their families. "I don't get pissed or lose my shit.