Food We Found Out Which Type of Grape Is Best for You
Jamie Oliver calls putting grapes on pizza a 'game changer'
“Once you try it, the sweetness, the saltiness, the whole kind of thing, is beautiful,” he says.British chef Jamie Oliver has incited controversy with a recipe that calls for putting grapes on pizza. He showed off his recipe on a recent episode of his UK show "Keep Cooking Family Favourites.
The greatness of grapes is real! With the first grape varieties dating as far back as 6000 B.C., this tasty fruit has been a snacking staple for centuries. Althoughhas a place in your diet, snacking on green, red or purple varieties can help you get the you need each day. Believe it or not, only 10% of Americans eat enough produce according to the .
About 99% of the table grapes grown in the United States are grown in California, which is why we chatted with experts at theto learn more about the juicy fruit. Here is everything you need to know about grapes from its health benefits to unique culinary uses.
Taking Viagra May Help Men With This Disease Live Longer, Says New Study
New research shows that Viagra could help men with coronary artery disease live longer by reducing their risk of new heart attack.The new study, which was published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that men with CAD who take Viagra due to impotence (another name for ED) not only appear to live longer but they also have a reduced risk of having a new heart attack. (Related: 100 Unhealthiest Foods on the Planet).
Grapes Nutrition Facts
: 1 cup (151 g)
- 104 calories
- 0 g fat
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 3 mg sodium
- 27 g total carbohydrate
- 1 g dietary fiber
- Vitamin C: 5 mg
- Thiamin: 0.104 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.106 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.13 mg
- Vitamin A: 99.7 IU
- Vitamin K: 22 µg
Health Benefits of Grapes
"Over 20 years of grape research links grapes to a wide variety of health-promoting activities in the body," says Courtney Romano, M.B.A., R.D., health advisor to the. "Grapes contain over , including antioxidants and other polyphenols." She adds that polyphenols help protect the health and function of our cells which is the foundation of good health, and that in particular promote antioxidant activity and influence cell communications that affect important biological processes in the body. Some specific health benefits of grapes include:
Your 2021 spring-cleaning checklist
Give your regular spring-cleaning routine a makeover. Here’s how to quickly and efficiently clean every room in your house — the right way.We understand if the extended lockdown put a damper on your annual spring cleaning inspiration, but all that time indoors probably means your house is in greater need of TLC than usual. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with these spring-cleaning tips. These house cleaning checklists — which include a bunch of time-saving tips — will let you breeze through deep-cleaning your kitchen and bathroom, give tips for organizing your home and even help you tidy up the backyard.
- Heart Health: When it comes to cardiovascular health, grapes are overachievers. "Studies indicate that grapes promote healthy blood vessels through vasorelaxation, which in turn is linked to healthy blood flow and pressure," Romano shares. "Grapes have also been shown to promote healthy blood lipid profiles, counter oxidative stress and inflammation, and platelet aggregation." Grapes naturally have no saturated fat or cholesterol and are very low sodium, making them a great choice.
- Brain Health: Not only do grapes boast some impressive cardiac health benefits, but they may benefit your brain too. conducted with elderly individuals with mild cognitive decline found that consuming grapes every day helped preserve healthy metabolic activity in regions of the brain associated with early-stage Alzheimers’ where metabolic decline takes hold. Romano explains that grapes of all colors are a natural source of flavonols, and a recent found that a higher intake of flavonols is associated with a 48% decreased risk of developing Alzheimer dementia; even more of a reason to add grapes to your snacking rotation.
- Colon Health: In a of individuals with colon cancer, consuming grapes every day for two weeks reduced the expression of certain target genes responsible for promoting tumor growth in the colon. Romano says that this benefit was observed in healthy colon tissue, where no impact was seen in the cancerous tissue, suggesting that grapes may be beneficial in maintaining colon health.
- Weight Management: Grapes are naturally a low-calorie, fat-free food with a relatively low glycemic index. Just one cup of grapes has only 100 calories and is composed of over 80% water, making them a high-volume, that you can eat more for a lower calorie cost.
- Skin Health: recently found that consuming grapes for two weeks was protective against UV light. Specifically, the study found that significantly more UV exposure was required to cause sunburn following grape consumption." was also associated with decreased DNA damage, preservation of skin cells, and a reduction in inflammatory markers," Romano explains.
- Immune Health: "Grape compounds including antioxidants and other polyphenols, help protect the health and function of cells which is beneficial to the immune system," Romano says. "Individual grape compounds resveratrol and certain flavonoids have been linked to improved immune function."
- Chemotherapy Symptom Relief: Sucking on is a natural remedy recommended by many oncology dietitians for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Patients experiencing certain chemotherapy-related side effects such as mouth sores or dry mouth may find some relief by sucking on frozen grapes. They also may aid in alleviating nausea, another common chemotherapy side effect.
Are red or green grapes better for you?
Aside from differences in color and taste, you may be wondering if the different colors of grapes have different nutritional benefits. "All colors of grapes contain beneficial compounds that may work synergistically to benefit health, so eating a variety of grapes is ideal," Romano says.
Bacon and Hot Dog Prices Are About to Spike, Experts Say
Experts say bacon and hot dog prices will stay high through the summer, since demand will go up while supply is down.Sales, as well as the price of meat, went up last year as more Americans found themselves suddenly cooking dinner at home, and supply chains were upended. Experts told Business Insider that the "after-effects of last year's disruption" will keep both bacon and hot dog prices high through the summer as demand increases amid a low supply. During these disruptions, consumers are also likely to see "fewer discounts." Separately, Bloomberg reports that farmers are now paying 30% more to feed their herds.
"The main difference between the colors of grapes is that red and black grapes contain anthocyanins, which give fruit its red and blue colors. However, green grapes do contain an array of other polyphenols and may have a different mix of other types." But all three colors of grapes can produce resveratrol she adds.
Selecting and Storing Grapes:
Romano advises shoppers to look for grape bunches with green, pliable stems and plump berries. Ever notice a powdery white coating on your grapes? This is called bloom, a beneficial naturally occurring substance that protects the fruit from moisture and decay Romano explains.
Grapes are best kept refrigerated, and placing them towards the back of the fridge is ideal since that is typically the chilliest spot. Romano says to keep grapes unwashed until ready to eat and then rinse them before serving. "Avoid storing the grapes compressed or squeezed, or near any strong-smelling foods, such as onions."
Unique Ways to Use Grapes:
Enjoy grapes as a snack by themselves or get creative by using them anywhere a tomato goes Romano says. "They provide a complete refresh to any dish... from appetizers to salads to entrée accents to dessert, grapes work across the meal spectrum." Try these delicious recipes from GH Nutritionist Approved Emblem Holder:
Mother’s Day gift ideas: Stylish and highly rated jewelry
Swarovski, Kate Spade and Pandora are just a few of the designers featured in our guide to stylish Mother’s Day jewelry gift ideas.Mother’s Day is almost here, meaning you should consider gift shopping now, if you haven’t already started, to avoid potential shipping delays. Beyond penning a heartfelt note in her Mother’s Day card and sending her a fresh flower delivery, you can treat your mom (or mother figure) to timeless or trendy jewelry. From classic stud earrings and dainty necklaces to sparkly bracelets and cocktail rings, there is plenty of Mother’s Day jewelry available on the market, covering many personal tastes — and price points.
Appetizers & Snacks
Gift Ideas for the Dad Who Says He Wants Nothing .
Sorry, Pops, but you're still getting something. (And you're gonna love it!)