•   
  •   
  •   

Health & Fit Man warns pet owners after fish tank releases 'second deadliest' poison, hospitalizes 10

02:41  06 april  2018
02:41  06 april  2018 Source:   foxnews.com

What Is Fish Sauce? Here's What You Should Know

  What Is Fish Sauce? Here's What You Should Know You may have assumed that fish sauce originated in an Asian country, but it actually originated in Rome (though you don't see fish sauce in their cuisine anymore).

Chris Matthews and his girlfriend were hospitalized on March 29, 2018, after suffering from toxic fumes released by Now he's warning other pet owners in hopes of preventing a situation like his from ever occurring again. Florida man warns about saltwater poisoning after dog dies days after beach trip.

© © SWNS.com Chris Matthews and his girlfriend were hospitalized on March 29, 2018, after suffering from toxic fumes released by coral. "Palytoxin incident due to a neighbour cleaning his coral tank . Second deadliest naturally occurring toxin in the world (allegedly) but rarely kills, & only if eaten!

a person standing in front of a window: Chris Matthews and his girlfriend were hospitalized on March 29, 2018, after suffering from toxic fumes released by coral. © © SWNS.com Chris Matthews and his girlfriend were hospitalized on March 29, 2018, after suffering from toxic fumes released by coral.

At first, Chris Matthews thought a flu bug had hit his entire family last week when they started to feel nauseous and experience eye problems at the same time. But when the family's two dogs started to show symptoms, Matthews knew something was wrong.

Matthews had cleaned out the aquarium inside his house in Steventon, England, a day prior. The 27-year-old was transferring rocks and other items from the fish tank into another container, so he could clean each item individually.

‘Shark Tank’ Investors Just Pumped $400K Into an All-Avocado Restaurant

  ‘Shark Tank’ Investors Just Pumped $400K Into an All-Avocado Restaurant Mark Cuban and Barbara Corcoran now own a piece of Avocaderia in Brooklyn.Corcoran and Cuban agreed to pony up the cash after tasting some of Avocaderia’s menu items and learning something millennials have known for a while: avocado toast is delicious. The investment translates to a 20-percent stake in the restaurant, which owners Francesco Brachetti, Alberto Gramini, and Alessandro Biggi opened last week. The trio now plans to expand his business with new locations in Los Angeles, San Diego, Miami, and Texas. Shark Tank investor Rohan Oza passed on the opportunity, sticking to his avocado-hating guns.

Chris Matthews and his girlfriend were hospitalized on March 29, 2018, after suffering from toxic fumes released by coral. Now he’s warning other pet owners in hopes of preventing a situation like his from ever occurring again.

The 27-year-old was transferring rocks and other items from the fish tank into another container, so he could clean each item individually. Matthews, his girlfriend, mother, father, sister and her boyfriend, and four firefighters were rushed to the hospital for treatment after inhaling the poisonous fumes.

During the process, the pet owner unknowningly scrubbed a piece of coral, releasing palytoxin into the air, SWNS reports. Palytoxin is "a potentially life-threatening toxin that can act via dermal, inhalation, and oral routes of exposure," according to the CDC.

When he was finished power cleaning the tank, Matthews shut the door and went to bed. The next day, Matthews and five others in the home started developing symptoms "as bad as pneumonia."

"We couldn't regulate our temperature, we were struggling to breathe and coughing," he told SWNS on Thursday. "We woke up the next morning feeling groggy but initially put it down to flu."

Realizing coral may have been the culprit, Matthews called the local police -- and received a massive emergency response.

Tiffany Haddish Drinks Turpentine, and, Wow, That's Really Not a Good Idea

  Tiffany Haddish Drinks Turpentine, and, Wow, That's Really Not a Good Idea From the Department of Incredibly Bad Ideas: Don't even think of drinking turpentine — it's poisonous. Comedian and actress Tiffany Haddish is a pro at cracking people up on stage and in her hit movies, including Girls Trip and Keanu. When it comes to doling out medical advice, however, she's not exactly an expert. Tiffany revealed during a GQ interview that she regularly consumes turpentine - as in, the pine wood oil that is commonly used as a paint thinner, which is most definitely poisonous.

What one Steventon, England father thought was only the flu, and almost cost him his life, turned out to be the “ second deadliest ” poison attacking him and his entire family. However, now the pet owner is warning others of the dangers he and his family faced, and hopes that by saying something, he can

Click here if the story doesn't open after a few seconds . Learn more about Apple News. Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions.

Dozens of emergency officers, a hazardous area response team and ambulances surrounded the home, the BBC reports. Crews with Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue followed instructions from the Public Health England to safely remove the toxic coral from the house.

Matthews, his girlfriend, mother, father, sister and her boyfriend, and four firefighters were rushed to the hospital for treatment after inhaling the poisonous fumes. Luckily, they got out just in time.

"If we had spent another night in that bedroom our lives would have been in danger," Matthews said.

British scientist and TV presenter Mike Leahy stumbled upon the scene while visiting his mom, who lives in the same neighborhood.

"Went for a cuppa with Mum. When I left confronted by this. Trapped within police cordon," he tweeted, along with a photo of police cruisers. "Palytoxin incident due to a neighbour cleaning his coral tank. Second deadliest naturally occurring toxin in the world (allegedly) but rarely kills, & only if eaten! Over-reaction?"

The Surprising Reason Why It's Better to Buy Your Fish Frozen

  The Surprising Reason Why It's Better to Buy Your Fish Frozen Home cooks tend to reach for fresh meats and poultry. But when seafood is on the menu, go for the frozen fish.With over 85 percent of all seafood consumed in the U.S. being imported, it shouldn't come as a surprise that most fish will be frozen before it hits the shelves. In some cases, the fish that's labeled "fresh" isn't fresh at all – it's actually been frozen and thawed. And that's only one reason buying frozen fish might be a smarter choice than fresh fish. Pick one of our top-rated fish recipes and get the lowdown on buying frozen below.

The Rumor Mill News Reading Room. Ten hospitalized after man cleans a piece of coral from his fish tank , releasing deadly palytoxin into the air. Posted By: MrFusion Date: Friday, 6-Apr-2018 01:51:51.

Man poisoned his family, four firefighters and two dogs by cleaning his fish tank . Richard Hartley-ParkinsonFriday 6 Apr 2018 9:47 am. Share this article with Facebook Share this article with Twitter Share this article with Google Plus Share this article through email Share this article with Whatsapp

While palytoxin may be more dangerous when ingested, there can still be serious side effects simply by breathing in the fumes such as a disruption of "normal corneal function" and "irreversible blindness," the CDC warns.

Matthews, who has been taking care of tropical fish for over a decade, said he had no idea his simple chore could cause such damage.

"I knew about palytoxin, which can kill you if ingested, and that coral can cause things like rashes if you don't handle it carefully but I had no idea taking the pulsing xenia (coral) out of the water could make the toxin airborne," he said.

Now he's warning other pet owners in hopes of preventing a situation like his from ever occurring again.

"I want to use this experience to educate people about the risks and the measures people need to take," Matthews said. "I've seen the coral described as 'exotic' but it is actually one of the most common around. It's a pest coral called pulsing xenia that you grow in areas where you can't get anything else to thrive."

Officials tented the house to rid it of the poison and the family was able to return, though Matthews notes he plans to be much more careful when he cares after his fish in the future.

Slideshow: 13 symptoms of serious health matters (Courtesy: Mom.me) 

13 Symptoms of Serious Health Matters 13 Symptoms of Serious Health Matters

Why Is Pig Meat Called ‘Pork,' and Cow Meat Called 'Beef'? .
When you stop and think about it, it’s actually quite strange that pig meat is called “pork,” cow meat is called “beef,” sheep meat is called “mutton,” and deer meat is called “venison.” The answer actually involves a rather complicated lesson in etymology, but we’ll try to put it as simply as possible.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!