Health & Fit: Surfer Dies From Brain-eating Amoeba - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

Health & Fit Surfer Dies From Brain-eating Amoeba

16:52  01 october  2018
16:52  01 october  2018 Source:   newsweek.com

Six questions about the brain-eating amoeba, answered

  Six questions about the brain-eating amoeba, answered You often hear about the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri during the summer, but while the parasite is common, infection from it is not. Here's what you should know.In August of 2010, 7-year-old Kyle Lewis was blissfully enjoying his last few days of summer vacation at a river in Texas, squeezing in hours of swimming and family time before heading back to school.

The BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas has temporarily shut its doors after a surfer from New Jersey died as a result of complications from Naegleria fowleri, which is often referred to as a “ brain - eating amoeba .” Twenty-nine-year-old Fabrizio “Fab” Stabile passed away at the Atlantic City Medical

Footage shows Texas surf resort where Fabrizio Stabile contracted deadly brain - eating amoeba . Surfer dies from brain - eating amoeba . 'By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late,' family and friends say.

Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are testing the water at a surf resort in Texas for a brain-eating amoeba after the tragic death of a surfer who visited the site.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco where he had been using the park's wave pool at the extreme water sports park.

He died in New Jersey on September 16 after falling ill with a naegleria fowleri infection.

Is Eating a Ton of Ice Cream in One Sitting Worse for You Than Eating a Little Every Night?

  Is Eating a Ton of Ice Cream in One Sitting Worse for You Than Eating a Little Every Night? Wondering how your sweets stack up? Health's contributing medical editor weighs in.Health’s medical editor, Roshini Rajapaksa, MD, is an associate professor of medicine at the NYU School of Medicine and a cofounder of TULA Skincare.

WACO, Texas — A 29-year-old surfer , Fabrizio Stabile, who recently visited a Waco, Texas, resort has died from what is commonly referred to as a " brain - eating amoeba ." BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort is closed while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tests for Naegleria fowleri, a rare

A 29-year-old New Jersey surfer has died from a “ brain - eating amoeba ” just days after visiting a wave pool at a Texas resort. Fabrizio Stabile tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, which destroys brain tissue and has a fatality rate of more than 97 percent, the day before his death last week, according to

A GoFundMe page has been set up in Fabrizio’s name to raise awareness about the dangers of the amoeba infection that has only been diagnosed 143 times in the last 55 years in the United States.

The page explains that Stabile had started to suffer from a headache that would not go away and which left him unable to speak. His symptoms matched those of bacterial meningitis and he did not respond to medication.

a person holding a fish© Provided by IBT Media After more tests, he tested positive for a naegleria fowleri infection, which has a 98 percent fatality rate, the gofundme page stated.

Kelly Craine, a spokesperson for Waco-McLennan County Public Health District, said officials are trying to find the source of the amoeba.

"The CDC collected water samples and are currently investigating to find the source. We hope to have results by the end of the week," CBS affiliate KBTX-TV reported.

Brain-eating amoebas are spreading—and that’s just as bad as it sounds

Brain-eating amoebas are spreading—and that’s just as bad as it sounds Here's everything you never wanted to know about the subject.

A New Jersey man who visited a landlocked surf resort in Central Texas died from what is commonly known to as a " brain - eating amoeba ."

Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba commonly found in warm freshwaters like lakes, rivers, and hot springs around the world, according to the CDC. Stabile died two days later on Sept. 21 from Naegleria fowleri. It is believed he contracted the ferocious brain - eating amoeba after visiting BSR

The CDC says the infection can occur in people who swim or dive in warm freshwater places. Infection passes into the body if contaminated water enters the nose.

An obituary in the Press of Atlantic City described Stabile as someone who loved the outdoors, including snowboarding, surfing, and socialising with friends and family.

The owner of the resort, Stuart Parsons, voluntarily closed the park on Friday for inspection and said he would comply with the inquiry.

He said: “Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this difficult time," CBS reported.

The same amoeba has also been detected in part of the water system in Louisiana, with the Shreveport Times reporting how it had been found in south Bossier Parish. The operator, Sligo Water System, has since disconnected the supply from Bossier City water.

What water is safe to use in a neti pot, and more tips to avoid getting sick.
The case of a woman who died from a brain-eating amoeba after using filtered tap water to clear her sinuses has some wondering how to safely use neti pots. Here's what the CDC and FDA have to say.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!