Health & Fit: Mom shares warning about car seat danger after her toddler's death - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

Health & FitMom shares warning about car seat danger after her toddler's death

16:45  05 november  2018
16:45  05 november  2018 Source:   today.com

Nurse Investigated for Posting About Toddler on Anti-Vax Facebook Page

  Nurse Investigated for Posting About Toddler on Anti-Vax Facebook Page The unnamed nurse posted about a measles case she witnessed in the intensive care unit. What to the nurse might have been an attempt to empathize with parents who choose to vaccinate quickly backfired.While the vaccine debate rages on, a pediatric nurse's Facebook post has renewed attention on those who care for more vulnerable populations, like children.

Her toddler ' s everyday nap turned into a nightmare for Lisa Smith, a mom to 17-month-old daughter Mia, who died while strapped in her car seat on the floor at A mother is turning her tragic loss into a warning for other parents about the dangers of a common daily occurrence — children sleeping in

Her toddler ' s everyday nap turned into a nightmare for Lisa Smith, a mom to 17-month-old daughter Mia, who died while strapped in her car seat on the floor at A mother is turning her tragic loss into a warning for other parents about the dangers of a common daily occurrence — children sleeping in.

Mom shares warning about car seat danger after her toddler's death© TODAY Mom's car seat warning

A mother is turning her tragic loss into a warning for other parents about the dangers of a common daily occurrence — children sleeping in car seats outside of the vehicle.

Lisa Smith's heartbreak started three years ago. She got a call at work on June 10, 2015, about her 17-month-old daughter Mia. The toddler had fallen asleep in her car seat after an outing with her caregiver and failed to wake up from her nap.

"This was our beautiful little girl. Perfectly healthy in every way," Smith told TODAY. "But when they came in and told us that she didn't have any more brain activity, all I did was I turn to the doctor and said, 'I know.'"

Toddler With 2-Pack-a-Day Habit Outrages Internet

  Toddler With 2-Pack-a-Day Habit Outrages Internet Rapi Ananda Pamungkas, a 2-year-old boy in Indonesia, became the target of controversy on social media after video of him puffing away was posted online.His mother, Maryati, said he pitches a fit if he isn't allowed to light up, telling Caters News Agency she would relent and buy him smokes to keep him from throwing a tantrum.

The toddler had fallen asleep in her car seat after an outing with her caregiver and failed to wake up from her nap. "This was our beautiful little girl. Following her toddler ' s tragic death , one mom is on a mission to warn fellow parents about It might be an overlooked hazard for those not familiar with car

A Louisiana couple is issuing a dire warning after their 17-month-old daughter died in car seat . Mia Smith was found dead in her day care car seat in June 2015. “This is like lightening striking our soul. This isn't something that we had any idea could possibly happen to us,” mom Lisa Smith told Inside

Mom shares warning about car seat danger after her toddler's death© TODAY Mom's car seat warning An investigation determined that Mia died of mechanical or positional asphyxia. Her airway was cut off while she slept, partially strapped into her car seat as it sat on the floor of her Iowa home.

"Positional asphyxia is when the baby's sleeping position prevents him or her from breathing adequately," said Dr. Natalie Azar, an NBC News medical contributor. "When a car seat is in the car, it's reclined at 45 degrees. This allows the baby's head and neck to rest backwards so that it's not slumped forward and blocking the airway."

According to a study that looked at the hazards of children two years old and younger in "sitting and carrying devices," 48 percent of the car seat deaths from 2004 to 2008 were from positional asphyxia.

Parents Share Warning After Late Daughter’s Meningitis Symptoms Were Written Off As Panic Attack

Parents Share Warning After Late Daughter’s Meningitis Symptoms Were Written Off As Panic Attack Sarah Cullen's parents are warning others after their 25-year-old daughter's meningitis symptoms were dismissed as a "panic attack."

A mother is turning her tragic loss into a warning for other parents about the dangers of a common daily occurrence — children sleeping in car seats She got a call at work on June 10, 2015, about her 17-month-old daughter Mia. The toddler was asleep in a car seat at a home daycare with her

After not waking up, Mia was rushed to the hospital and died two days later. The cause of death was ruled to be positional asphyxiation, which is when a person can't get enough air A mother is warning others about the dangers of napping in car seats after her 17-month-old daughter died that same way.

"Most new parents will hear that they should never wake a sleeping baby, but in the situation of your baby falling asleep in the car seat, in the car, transferring them to a safer place, such as a firm mattress or crib is really the recommended thing to do," Azar said.

Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association, a nonprofit that represents the juvenile products industry, said children should never be left unattended in car seats regardless of where they are.

"The most important consideration for parents and caregivers is that car seats are developed, designed and tested for specific uses, with instructions and labels that define how to use them as designed," the organization said in a statement to NBC News.

Smith said she sees people use car seats outside the vehicle as regular carriers all the time.

"They go out to restaurants, they'll put them in carts at the grocery store. They'll be on the floors, the pews in churches," she said.

She hopes sharing her story will help raise awareness about the danger.

"Losing a child, it's beyond soul crushing," she said.

"The hardest part is that this was so easily prevented. And we lost a daughter needlessly. No family deserves this."

Mom Shares Warning With Others After Her 18-Month-Old Is Rushed To The ER For Drinking Baby Oil.
JennaJoy Ingraham took to Facebook to share the story of how her son was accidentally poisoned with an item for children that’s readily available in many households. JennaJoy Ingraham lives in Washington with her husband, Casey, and their two young sons, Bryten and Graysen. It was an average day when Casey decided to go take a shower. He didn’t realize that their youngest son, 18-month-old Graysen, had followed him into the bathroom, where there was a bottle of baby oil on the counter. Casey was showering when he heard Graysen coughing.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!