•   
  •   
  •   

Health & FitWoman Contracted Rare and Fatal Brain-Eating Amoeba After Using Neti Pot with Tap Water: Doctor

17:55  07 december  2018
17:55  07 december  2018 Source:   people.com

5 Scary Things You Can Catch From Floodwater After a Hurricane

  5 Scary Things You Can Catch From Floodwater After a Hurricane After the immediate danger from wind and rain passes, victims should still be on the lookout for these health risks lurking in flooded areas.Now that the storm surge is over, the immediate dangers of drowning or being swept away have been greatly minimized. But hurricanes can also create dangerous conditions that last long after the wind and rain has stopped. In addition to the health risks associated with power outages and damaged plumbing, floodwater itself can harbor bacteria and disease-carrying organisms that pose a risk to evacuees, rescue workers, and anyone returning to their homes after a hurricane.

A woman using a neti pot to clear her sinuses. Neti pots and other nasal irrigation systems are used with sterile water or saline solution to treat congested sinuses, colds and allergies. Tap water isn’t safe to use as a nasal rinse because it’s not adequately filtered or treated and may contain low

Both had used tap water in a neti pot . (Because stomach acid kills the amoeba , drinking contaminated water does not lead to infection.) Doctors say the new warnings should not dissuade people from using a neti pot , which can be a safe and effective home remedy for allergies and congestion.

Woman Contracted Rare and Fatal Brain-Eating Amoeba After Using Neti Pot with Tap Water: Doctor© Getty Woman Contracted Rare and Fatal Brain-Eating Amoeba After Using Neti Pot with Tap Water: Doctor A Seattle woman with a sinus infection tragically died after contracting rare brain-eating amoeba.

The 69-year-old woman first developed a persistent sinus infection, which led doctors to prescribe her with a commonly-used neti pot to flush out her sinuses, according to a case report published in September’s International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

Instead of using sterile water or saline, both of which are recommended when using a neti pot, the woman reportedly rinsed her nose with tap water filtered from a Brita Water Purifier, the case report said.

22-Year-Old Miraculously Survives 'Universally Fatal' Internal Decapitation, Expected to Fully Recover

  22-Year-Old Miraculously Survives 'Universally Fatal' Internal Decapitation, Expected to Fully Recover Brock Meister, 22, was a passenger in his friend's truck when it slid on black ice and flipped."I feel really lucky. It still goes through my mind everyday how lucky I am," Meister, of South Bend, told InsideEdition.com.

Brain - eating amoeba suspected as cause of 9-year-old's death Pictures: Brain - eating amoeba : How to stay safe from Naegleria fowleri. While Dr . Steven Osborne, a medical officer in FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), said that usually neti pots are safe and useful, the water

The term " brain - eating amoeba " makes the amoeba sound like a tiny zombie stalking your skull. But when the amoeba gets into humans, it uses the brain as a food source. The nose is the pathway of And if you are cleansing your nostrils, be sure to fill your neti pot or squeeze bottle with distilled or

After using the unsterilized water to rinse her sinuses for a month, she reportedly developed a rash on the bridge of her nose and raw skin near her nostrils, originally believed to be a skin condition called rosacea.

When the rash didn’t go away, even after several visits to a dermatologist and biopsies, doctors became perplexed at her mysterious health dilemma.

Things got worse for the woman a year after the rash first emerged when she had a seizure. According to the report, the woman never lost consciousness but was unable to cognitively function and was shaking on the left side of her body.

She finally underwent a CT scan where the woman learned she had a 1.5-centimeter lesion on her brain, the report said. Doctors initially believed that it was a tumor, due in part to the fact that breast cancer reportedly ran in the woman’s family.

A Woman’s Swollen Pinky Finger Turned Out to Be a Rare Deadly Infection

  A Woman’s Swollen Pinky Finger Turned Out to Be a Rare Deadly Infection You wouldn't think that a swollen pinky finger should warrant much worry. But for one woman in California, it turned out to be a sign of a rare manifestation of tuberculosis.The 42-year-old went to the hospital after her finger had been swollen and painful for a week, though she had not injured it at all.

Second Neti - Pot Death From Amoeba Prompts Tap - Water Warning. Now that two people have died from infection with brain - eating amoebas after using neti pots , doctors are warning: do not put tap water up your nose.

A New Jersey man died after being infected with Naegleria fowleri, also known as the “ brain - eating amoeba ,” a rare infection that is contracted through the nose in fresh water . The man, Fabrizio Stabile, 29, of Ventnor, N.J., was mowing his lawn on Sept.

But they soon learned, upon operating, that the mass held dead brain tissue making the diagnosis even more difficult. The medical team then took a sample of the mass and send it to neuropathologists at Johns Hopkins University for further analysis.

From there, the woman’s condition began to deteriorate, as the team at Johns Hopkins suggested that the mass seemed to be a possible amoebic infection. She was immediately admitted for another surgery to remove the brain mass, where doctors noted “clear evidence of amoebic infection and dramatic hemorrhagic necrosis.”

“Despite aggressive anti-amoebic therapy, the patient’s condition continued to deteriorate,” the report says. “Within 1 week she was more somnolent and then became comatose… At this point, the family decided to withdraw support.”

After the woman had died, lab results revealed that her infection on her brain tissue and nose rash were from an amoeba called Balamuthia mandrillaris.

Surfer Dies From Brain-eating Amoeba

  Surfer Dies From Brain-eating Amoeba Officials are trying to find the source of the amoeba. "The CDC collected water samples and are currently investigating to find the source. We hope to have results by the end of the week," CBS affiliate KBTX-TV reported.The CDC says the infection can occur in people who swim or dive in warm freshwater places. Infection passes into the body if contaminated water enters the nose.An obituary in the Press of Atlantic City described Stabile as someone who loved the outdoors, including snowboarding, surfing, and socialising with friends and family.

Louisiana Issues Neti Pot Warning After Two Fatal Infections. Both became infected with Naegleria fowleri, a parasite known as the brain - eating amoeba . "If you are irrigating, flushing or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a Neti pot , use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up

Naegleria fowleri amoebae , dyed and seen under a microscope. The amoeba is widespread but The last thing on their mind was a brain - eating amoeba . The boy played outside for much of the day on The doctors suspected meningitis, a swelling of the membranes surrounding the brain, which can be

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Balamuthia was first discovered in 1986 and has since been reported in about 200 cases worldwide, with 70 confirmed cases in the United States.

B. mandrillaris, which was described in the report as “extremely unusual” and “uniformly fatal,” is reportedly very difficult to detect and learn about because of its resemblance to other cells and tumors. The CDC even notes that the infection is so uncommon, “it is possible that there have been additional cases that were misdiagnosed.”

RELATED VIDEO: Massachusetts Mom of 2 Dies Suddenly After Flu Diagnosis: She Had a ‘Huge Heart’

Senior case report author Dr. Charles Cobbs, who is a neurosurgeon at the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, told LiveScience that he suspects the woman contracted the fatal infection from using the unsterilized water in her neti pot as the amoeba could have been in the tap water.

“It’s so exceedingly rare that I’d never heard of it,” Cobbs told the outlet.

A representative for Brita did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Currently, the CDC says there are no known ways to prevent the infection due to its mysterious nature of contraction.

While the case seems incredibly terrifying, as so much of it was unknown, Cobbs stressed one major thing for those who use neti pots and are concerned moving forward. “People should just go about their normal lives,” he told LiveScience. But when using the nasal rinser, “definitely use sterile water or saline.”

What This Woman Thought Was a Sinus Infection Was Actually a Rare, Life-Threatening Fungal Infection.
The damage from mucormycosis was so severe, doctors had to remove both of Jessica Weldon's eyes and more body parts.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!