Health & Fit: A man went blind after contracting a parasite from showering with his contacts in - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

Health & FitA man went blind after contracting a parasite from showering with his contacts in

19:11  12 july  2019
19:11  12 july  2019 Source:   msn.com

Hawaii confirms third case of rat lungworm disease in Big Island resident

Hawaii confirms third case of rat lungworm disease in Big Island resident Humans who eat raw or undercooked snails or slugs that contain the rat lungworm parasite can be infected, the CDC reports.

A U.K. man experienced “excruciating pain“ and went blind in his right eye after showering in his contacts , which caused a parasite to burrow under the lens

he was blinded after wearing them in the shower when a parasite started living in his right eye. after contracting Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a rare parasitical infection in his right cornea. "If I'd have known how dangerous it was to wear contacts in the shower , I would never have got them in " After getting the infection, I went from hitting the gym every other day and playing football three

A man went blind after contracting a parasite from showering with his contacts in© Valeri Potapova/Shutterstock
  • A man says he went blind in one eye after wearing contacts in the shower. He detailed his experience in an essay for the Shropshire Star.
  • Nick Humphreys, a 29-year-old man from the UK, contracted Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK). AK is an eye infection caused by amoeba found in water that targets the cornea.
  • After three months, the parasite caused Humphreys to go blind in one eye.
  • Now, he is awaiting a corneal transplant.
  • Visit INSIDER's homepage for more stories.

Six years ago Nick Humphreys, a 29-year-old man from the UK, made what he calls an "obvious choice" to start wearing contact lenses. But in 2018, the decision left him blind in one eye, he wrote an essay for the Shropshire Star, where he works as a reporter.

JFK International Airport Launches Tool To Help Blind Travelers

JFK International Airport Launches Tool To Help Blind Travelers JFK's international terminal has launched a smartphone app to help visually-impaired travelers access airport services.

and went blind in his right eye after showering in his contacts , which caused a parasite to burrow under the lens and into his eye, reports said. Nick Humphreys, 29, of Shrewsbury, U.K., contracted a rare parasitic infection called Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in his right cornea. "If I'd have known

But after five years of showering with his contacts in , he started to notice something wasn’t quite right in January 2018. He assumed he’d scratched his eye while putting lenses in, but as the week went on, it became obvious that something more serious had happened.

More specifically, it was the routine decision to shower with contacts in, he told PA Real Life.

"On a standard morning I'd wake up, pop my lenses in and head to the gym before work, then I'd jump in the shower before heading to the office," he said. "I thought nothing of it at the time. I was never told not to wear contact lenses in the shower, there's no warning on the packaging and my opticians never mentioned a risk."

In the essay entitled "My fight for sight: Why Star reporter Nick will never wear contact lenses again," Humphreys wrote that he first suspected things were not quite right in January 2018 when he experienced dry eyes for a week. At first, he chalked it up to a lack of sleep and attempted to treat it with over-the-counter eye drops. This didn't work, he wrote.

Rat lungworm disease: 3 new cases of potentially debilitating parasite confirmed in Hawaii

Rat lungworm disease: 3 new cases of potentially debilitating parasite confirmed in Hawaii Three visitors to Hawaii's Big Island were infected with rat lungworm, a potentially debilitating parasite that affects the brain and spinal cord.

He wore them in the shower , causing Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) – a rare parasitical infection in his right The local newspaper journalist, said: ‘If I’d have known how dangerous it was to wear contacts in ‘ After getting the infection, I went from hitting the gym every other day and playing football three

A FOOTBALL fan was blinded in his right eye after wearing his contact lenses in the shower . two operations and is now waiting to have a corneal transplant after contracting a parasite burrowed into his eye. He assumed that he'd scratched his eye while putting lenses in but as the week went on

Initially, his doctor diagnosed him with an ulcer on his eye. But further testing showed that it was something entirely different.

Humphreys was eventually diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in his right eye, he wrote. According to the CDC, AK is an eye infection caused by an amoeba found in water that targets the cornea. A 2009 study reported there are an estimated 1 to 2 million cases of AK among contact users annually in the US.

AK most commonly affects people who wear contacts, but anyone can contract the infection - especially if they come into contact with contaminated water, mishandle contact lenses, or have a history of corneal trauma, according to the CDC.

Humphreys was prescribed disinfectant drops to treat the infection and while it helped, it wasn't enough. In March 2018, the pain returned, he wrote in the Shropshire Star.

"I couldn't read a page of a newspaper without being in excruciating pain, light sensitivity was so bad I had to keep the curtains drawn at all times," he wrote. "I even had to watch Eurovision with my sunglasses on"

3 key things that happen when you stop showering for a month

3 key things that happen when you stop showering for a month The not-so-awful truth about one journalist's surprising quest.

and went blind in his right eye after showering in his contacts , which caused a parasite to burrow under the lens and into his eye, reports said. Nick Humphreys, 29, of Shrewsbury, U.K., contracted a rare parasitic infection called Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in his right cornea. "If I'd have known

Sydney mum Lauren was told she would go blind after contracting an eye parasite . Picture: Seven NewsSource:Channel 7. But after five years of showering with his contacts in , the British man started to notice something wasn’t quite right in January 2018.

One day, he suddenly went blind in his right eye.

"I was driving to work and my vision completely went in my right eye. I don't know how I managed not to crash, but it didn't take me long to realize I needed to get back to the hospital," he wrote.

So far, he has undergone 3 operations to treat the infection and aid with the healing. In August, he will receive a corneal transplant from a donor and will also have cataract surgery, he wrote.

A year and a half after this ordeal began, Humphreys said he regrets ever wearing contacts.

"I can honestly say if I'd had the slightest idea that this was even a remote possibility I would never have worn contacts in the first place. It's crucial that people out there know this is a reality and can happen because of something as simple as showering," he wrote.

The journalist also called for manufacturers to show clearer warnings on contact packaging about AK.

"I've lost 18 months of my life because of something as simple as showering with contacts in," he wrote. "Now contact lens makers need to put sufficient warnings on packaging to stop this preventable condition from destroying more lives."

Read Nick Humphrey's full essay here >>

CDC Warns of Swimming Pool Parasite 'Crypto' Ahead of 4th of July Weekend.
This icky organism can cause "profuse" diarrhea.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!