Health & Fit 3 NICU babies die after contracting bacterial infection in Pennsylvania hospital
Mom gives birth to 13-ounce 'miracle' baby
Ellonn Smartt says her son, who was born at 23 weeks gestation, is "getting breast milk and gaining weight."
A hospital in Pennsylvania said on Monday that it will transferto nearby following the deaths of three premature infants who contracted a bacterial infection. Four other infants in Geisinger Medical Center’s neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) had recovered from the illness, and an additional one is receiving antibiotics.
“The neonatal intensive care unit at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville recently experienced an increase in cases of pseudomonas infection, a waterborne bacteria, among premature infants,” Edward Hartle, M.D, Geisinger executive vice president and chief medical officer, said in a statement. “While HIPPA regulations limit what we can disclose about individual cases, all were confined to the GMC NICU.
36 Nurses at Missouri Hospital Expected to Give Birth This Year
'We are all raising these babies together.'
“In total, eight infants confined specifically to the Geisinger Medical Center NICU were treated for a pseudomonas infection,” the statement said. “Four of these infants have been successfully treated and are doing well; one of these infants continues to receive antibiotic treatment for the infection and is responding positively; and, sadly, the other three infants have passed away, which may have been a result of the infection complicating their already vulnerable state due to extreme prematurity.”
The Danville-based hospital continues “to work closely with the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate and ensure that proactive measures already taken have eradicated the bacteria as well as prevent any additional cases.”
Twins, triplets have higher risk of medical mix-ups in neonatal ICUs
Doctors are much more likely to make mistakes ordering medicines or treatments for babies in the ICU when these infants are twins or triplets than when they are they singletons, a U.S. study suggests. © Sigarru/Getty Images So-called wrong patient orders have long been a bigger risk in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) than in general pediatrics wards, and these mix-ups are more common when newborns haven't yet been named or have a name very similar to another hospitalized baby, researchers note in JAMA Pediatrics.
The statement said that out of an abundance of caution, the hospital is diverting mothers likely to deliver prematurely before 32 weeks gestation and infants born at less than 32 weeks gestation to nearby hospitals with appropriate NICU capabilities.
“We will continue our meticulous and comprehensive infection control practices at GMC to reduce the risk of any infection in any infant, and we remain committed to providing the highest level of family-centered neonatal care for our families and babies,” the statement said.
The hospital posted a similar statement to its Facebook page, and said a hotline has been set up for community members with additional questions.
Gallery: Hidden Sources of Bacteria in Your Home (Provided by The Active Times)
She gets deadly sepsis by trying barefoot shoes
In Wales, a mother was scared of her life after she learned that her 4-year-old daughter was suffering from sepsis, a light-headed disease caused by a bacterial infection. A new all the more surprising that she would have contracted after simply trying new shoes without socks.
Trying on a pair of shoes in a store may seem trivial. However, this story shows us that certain conditions must be met to buy shoes without running a great danger. On August 29, 2018, Jodie Thomas, a 26-year-old mother, learned that her 4-year-old daughter Sienna Rasul had contracted septicemia , a serious infection caused by the presence of a bacterium in her blood. How? 'Or' What ? By simply putting on new shoes.
An unheated sore at the origin of
sepsis Originally from Wales, Sienna and her mother went to a shoe store that the little girl can try new pairs. "Usually she wears socks, but it was summer so she was wearing sandals," says Jodie Thomas at the Daily Mail. A detail all the more important that it is the fact of not wearing it that triggered sepsis: just a small open wound anywhere on the body for a staph, bacterium naturally present on the skin and mucous membranes, is invited into the body and becomes pathogenic. In this case, the wound was on the child's foot and the bacteria, most certainly in the shoes already tried by other girls.
One day after the fitting, Sienna was crying, shaking, and suffering from high fever. She was taken to the hospital by the mother who was then informed that the infection had spread from the foot to the leg. If she did not need surgery, she was treated with antibiotics. "I was shocked when the doctors told me that it was because she tried new shoes," says the mother, who now wants to alert parents of such a danger.
Septic shock, fatal in 50% of cases
It is estimated that one person dies of sepsis in the world every five seconds. It is because the pathogenic bacterium invades the blood that this infection is life-threatening. The symptoms of sepsis are fever or hypothermia, a high heart rate and an increase or decrease in the number of white blood cells in the blood. In case of septic shock (the most serious stage of the infection which prevents the proper functioning of organs and causes death in 50% of cases), the latter must be rushed to the hospital where it will be resuscitated and placed under control. infusion. Antibiotics will then be prescribed to fight the bacteria.
30 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City .
Consider this your New York City bucket list.
'It's Forever Life Changing.' Woman Gets MRSA Infection After Spine Surgery
A Guiford County woman went to the hospital for back pain, but she got an infection while she was getting a procedure done on her spine.
"Introduction to Pediatric Chest Radiography" by George Taylor for OPENPediatrics
In this video, Dr. George Taylor outlines the approach to interpreting pediatric chest x-rays. The features that Dr. Taylor examines include the lung parenchyma ...