Health & Fit Man opens up about losing limbs after rare case of strep throat
A man's false teeth were stuck in his throat for eight days after a surgery
A 72-year-old's dentures got stuck in his throat during surgery and weren't discovered for eight days, according to a case report published by the British Medical Journal on Monday. Lead author Harriet Cunniffe, from James Paget Hospital in eastern England, is calling for surgeons to ensure dentures are removed from patients before an operation. During the patient's first return to the emergency room, doctors were unable to diagnose the problem and the unnamed man was sent home with a prescription for mouthwash, antibiotics and steroids.
A Michigan man who became a quadruple amputee after he developed an extremelyis crediting his positive outlook and determination — and his wife — for returning to an active lifestyle.
Kevin Breen had to relearn how to walk, use utensils, get dressed, drive a car and other basic skills. Now, he’s skiing, wakeboarding and taking part in other sports he enjoyed before his sudden illness.
“I’ve always had a ton of energy and I’ve always been very independent, and to not be independent and be stuck in a wheelchair, which I was for a while, it drove me nuts,” Breen, 47, told the hosts of TODAY on Friday.
Strep Throat Vaccine in the Works, UCSD Researchers Say
Scientists at the UC San Diego School of Medicine will work with a Northern California biopharmaceutical company to develop a universal vaccine to battle strep throat. There is no current vaccine for Group A Streptococcus (GAS), the bacteria that causes pharyngitis or strep throat. Man's Diagram Helps Explain Deadly Channel Islands Boat Fire CARB-X, a funder of antibacterial development research, has awarded SutroVax, Inc. with up to $15 million to work on developing a vaccine. SutroVax, Inc. is located in Foster City south of San Francisco, California.
“She took care of me, she had to do everything — I was like a baby,” Breen said of his wife, Julie. “She gave me so much help and that’s part of why I wanted to be more independent, to not make her do so much stuff.”
Kevin was one of only two men in the world with a documented case of this form of strep throat, his wife noted.
The ordeal began in December 2016, when he developed a sore throat and stomach pain on the day after Christmas. Julie remembered being concerned because Kevin never took a day off work, but felt so ill that he decided to stay home.
He sought help at an urgent care center, where he initially tested negative for both the flu and strep throat. The couple returned home, but had to go to the emergency room the next morning when Kevin’s pain became unbearable.
Mom celebrates premature son's first day of school after told he would likely die: 'He's my little miracle'
A United Kingdom mom who was told her son would likely die after he was born months in advance recently celebrated the young boy’s first day of school. © SWNS via Fox News Abbey Burns, 25, told SWNS her son, Roman, now 4, was born three months early, weighing just 2 pounds and 11 ounces. The young boy contracted Group B Strep — a type of bacteria that’s sometimes present in a pregnant woman’s vagina or rectum and can be passed to a baby during birth — when he was born. The infection later turned septic, she claims, further jeopardizing her already fragile baby’s life.
"It was really terrifying," Julie recalled.
Surgeons flushed Breen’s abdomen to clear out all the bacteria, but even with the germs gone, he was slipping into septic shock — he was in danger of being killed by his own body’s immune response. His blood pressure plummeted and his organs started to shut down.
When tests ultimately came back positive for strep, doctors concluded the bacteria from his throat infection had somehow traveled into his abdomen.
While Steensma and her colleagues were able to save Breen’s life, they weren’t able to prevent permanent damage to his hands and feet. When a patient is in, blood pressure plummets making it hard to get enough blood to the organs. The medications doctors use to treat the condition work by pulling blood from the extremities and shunting it to the brain and other organs necessary to keep the patient alive.
24 Cozy Pies & Cobblers Perfect for Fall
Hello, glorious pie season!
Breen’s hands and feet started turning black, meaning the tissue was dying, so doctors amputated his legs below the knee, his entire left hand and some of the fingers on his right hand. He spent months in grueling physical and occupational therapy.
“I remember telling him like, 'Kevin, you, you can cry,’” his wife recalled.
“My response was, ‘How I react to this is how our kids are going to perceive how, you know, we tackle challenges in life,’” Kevin said. “I got better and I could do more things and holy cow, I can walk.”
He uses prosthetic legs and a water-resistant robotic hand called the TASKA, which has 23 different grips and allows him do tasks like wash the dishes, type on a keyboard and even make the symbol for "rock on,” as he happily showed the TODAY anchors.
Julie said Kevin now requires very little help from her and can help take care of himself and the couple’s three children, who are 17, 7 and 5 years old.
The ordeal has brought the couple closer together.
“I became his full-time nurse when he first got home, and watching his unwavering determination to be independent again was so inspiring to both me and the kids,” Julie said.
Understanding Strep Throat
This comprehensive overview of strep throat covers symptoms, causes, and treatment in children and adults.If untreated, strep throat can cause complications, such as kidney inflammation, or rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a specific type of rash, or heart valve damage.
“Julie was always there for me through my ups and downs so to be able to step back up to the plate for her, means everything to me,” Kevin noted.
Gallery: 6 Signs of Strep Throat You Shouldn't Ignore (Provided by Reader's Digest)
A 47-year-old Scot has climbed the summit of the Matterhorn as the first amputated human on all four limbs. While he can not prove that he is the first, said Jamie Andrew on Tuesday the news agency AFP. "But I'm sure." Andrew, who had both his lower legs and both forearms amputated following an accident, had risen to the summit on Thursday.
Together with his two companions, he needed six hours to reach the summit of the 4,478 meter high Swiss landmark, and six and a half hours for the descent. That's five hours longer than the average time for this tour.
"That's awesome," Andrew said. "It's not about breaking records, it's about proving that you can achieve great things by making the most of what you have, by believing in yourself, and by taking one step at a time."
Andrew had suffered a severe blow 17 years ago. After a climbing accident in the French Alps, all his limbs had to be amputated and his climbing partner Jamie Fisher died in the accident. But shortly after, Andrew announced that he would climb again. But he did not dream of climbing the Matterhorn, Andrew said Tuesday. "My first goal was to hike in the Scottish hills."
The married father of three children then climbed the just under 5900 meter high Kilimanjaro in Africa in 2004 and trained on several alpine peaks. For the past five years he has been preparing for the Matterhorn. In 2014, he almost reached the summit, but had to give up 250 meters from the finish.
He now feels a "relief" to have made it. "The Matterhorn is definitely the hardest thing I've done." He has not yet sought his next challenge, Andrew said. He wanted to take a break first. "But it will certainly be a new challenge."
15 New Year's Resolutions to Make Together as a Family .
Here's the thing about New Year's resolutions: they tend to get a bad rap for having famously low success rates (research shows only about eight percent of people actually stick to them each year).
Man With Strep Throat Forced To Amputate Hands And Feet
An extremely rare case of strep throat that almost killed Kevin Breen has instead taken his hands and feet. NEW Merch Store - https://goo.gl/YxJd9R Subscribe ...
Michigan man's strep throat leads to quadruple amputation
A Michigan man's strep throat lead to a quadruple amputation.