•   
  •   
  •   

Health & Fit Poison Hemlock Is In Bloom Across the US-Here's What to Know About This 'Deadly' Plant

09:10  23 june  2021
09:10  23 june  2021 Source:   health.com

7 Great Vegan Sources of Iron—and How to Eat Them

  7 Great Vegan Sources of Iron—and How to Eat Them Iron can be challenging to obtain for vegans. Here are some of the best plant sources of iron, from dark chocolate (yes) to lentils, and how to add them to a plant-based diet. The post 7 Great Vegan Sources of Iron—and How to Eat Them appeared first on The Healthy.

Poison hemlock has a pretty scary reputation for being toxic. And, with news pouring in that the plant is currently in bloom across several parts of the country, it's understandable that you might be a little-or a lot-nervous about coming into contact with it.

a close up of a flower: AdobeStock © Provided by Health.com AdobeStock a close up of a flower: FYI: It doesn't usually cause a rash, but you should still steer clear of this weed. © AdobeStock FYI: It doesn't usually cause a rash, but you should still steer clear of this weed.

But being aware that you should avoid poison hemlock and actually knowing what the toxic plant looks like are two totally different things. Here's what you need to know, plus whether its rep as being the "deadliest plant in America" is actually legit.

30 Low-Light Indoor Plants That Thrive in Near Darkness

  30 Low-Light Indoor Plants That Thrive in Near Darkness These low-light houseplants thrive without direct sunlight, so now you can have a touch of Mother Nature in every corner of your home.Fittonias, also known as nerve plants, are ideal for adding big color in a small space says, Justin Hancock, horticulturist for Costa Farms, as its green leaves are brightened with white, pink, or red veins. "While it tolerates low light, this tropical prefers moist soil and average to high humidity," he says. "It quickly wilts when it gets too dry but recovers just as fast after. That makes it a good indicator plant to help you remember to water your thirstiest houseplants.

OK, what is poison hemlock?

Poison hemlock is a toxic plant, and all parts of the plant-the leaves, stem, fruit, and root-are poisonous, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Poison hemlock has white flowers that grow in small clusters, and each flower eventually develops into a green, deeply ridged fruit that contains seeds. After the fruit ripens and matures, it turns a grayish brown color. Poison hemlock has a hollow stem with small purple spots, delicate leaves like parsley, and a white root (it's in the same family as parsnips and wild carrots).

Poison hemlock is in almost every state in the US, and per the USDA, it tends to grow along fence lines, in irrigation ditches, and in other moist places. It can also get up to three meters tall.

Budgeting Tips for Building Your Own House

  Budgeting Tips for Building Your Own House Budget overruns can turn building your dream home into a nightmare. These tips will help keep costs in check without skimping on quality and safety."There are three main factors when building a new home: budget, time and quality," says architect Ibrahim Greenidge of BOLT Architecture in Brooklyn, N.Y. "To prioritize the budget consideration, leverage time and quality by being creative and flexible.

RELATED: 5 Home Remedies for Poison Ivy Rashes You Should Know-And When to See a Doctor

Is poison hemlock actually poisonous to humans?

Unfortunately, yes. The plant has a few toxic compounds, including coniine, g-coniceine, and piperidine alkaloids.


Video: What is tick paralysis? (ABC News)

The biggest issue with poison hemlock is people accidentally eating it, Sarah Shafer, MD, assistant professor of emergency medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, tells Health. "People get poisoned because they mistake it for a wild parsley or wild carrots," she says. Some people may even "pick it out of their garden and put it in a salad," thinking that it was something they had grown, Dr. Shafer says. Sound terrifying? Yep. "It's scary," Dr. Schafer says.

Children have also died after making whistles from hollow stems of poison hemlock, the USDA says.

People generally assume that you'll get a rash or blisters from handling poison hemlock, but that's (mostly) a myth, says Jason Rizzo, MD, a dermatologist at University at Buffalo. "It's a common misconception that poison hemlock sap will cause rashes and blisters," he says. "It's not like poison ivy, poison sumac, or poison oak."

3 Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas Nutritionists Actually Love

  3 Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas Nutritionists Actually Love Need some plant-based breakfast ideas? Here are tips and recipes for healthy, delicious breakfasts that will satisfy your hunger. The post 3 Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas Nutritionists Actually Love appeared first on The Healthy.

There is a caveat, though: If you have a cut or happen to expose one of your mucus membranes (like your eyes or nose) to poison hemlock, the toxins in the plant could get into your bloodstream and make you sick, he says. (King County, Washington, health officials specifically warn of a case of one woman who had a "severe reaction" to poison hemlock after pulling plants on a hot day.)

RELATED: The Sun Poisoning Symptoms You Should Know-and How to Treat Them

Signs you've come into contact with poison hemlock

If you accidentally brush up against poison hemlock while you're hiking or hanging outside, you should be OK (remember: the whole rash thing is a myth). But if you accidentally eat it or it gets in your body, Dr. Shafer says you'll notice a few symptoms, including:

  • Feeling lightheaded
  • Sleepiness
  • Dilated pupils
  • Dizziness
  • Trembling

"People usually come in feeling unwell," Dr. Shafer says. Poison hemlock can cause muscle paralysis and death from respiratory failure, so this is not something you want to mess with.

If you're sharing a meal and people start to have symptoms of hemlock poisoning "everyone should go to the ER to get checked out," Dr. Shafer says. That homegrown "carrot" you ate could actually be poison hemlock, she points out.

There's no direct antidote for hemlock poisoning, but Dr. Shafer says that people are "closely monitored" after being poisoned. "If they develop paralysis, they may need to be put on a ventilator for a few days," she says.

How well someone recovers from hemlock poisoning depends on how healthy they were to begin with, Dr. Shafer says.

So, if you happen to see poison hemlock near you, it's really best to head the other way.

To get our top stories delivered to your inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter

5 Low-Alcohol Drinks to Sip at Your Next Vaxxed Hang .
With not a White Claw in sight!

usr: 1
This is interesting!