Home & Garden Guide To Choosing the Best Indoor Greenhouse
The 7 best cruise ships for kids
Kids can make or break your family cruise. If they’re bored and hate the food options, they will loudly and repeatedly express their displeasure. Pick the wrong cruise ship and parents will feel as trapped as if they were stranded on a deserted island … with biting crabs underfoot. The best cruises for kids take …The best cruises for kids take advantage of ships with endless fun for the under-18 crowd, plentiful dining that appeals to both young palates and bottomless teen tummies, accommodations and ship services that keep families in mind, and opportunities to meet and hang out with peers.
For people of all ages suddenlyduring the pandemic, houseplants and gardening became a hugely popular pastime. When done well, it yielded beautiful plants and flowers, fresh fruit and vegetables while taking our minds off the crises swirling outside the garden gate.
Whether you're back to work or school or just resumed "normal" activities, you may find you have less time to devote to your plants. An indoor greenhouse can bring the beauty of a garden indoors, prolong the life of established plants and provide a controlled, beneficial environment for nurturing new ones.
What Is an Indoor Greenhouse?
An indoor greenhouse is a small cabinet, tent or enclosed transparent or semi-transparent structure used to grow plants indoors.
Splish, splash then take a nap at these 15 US hotels with water parks
When searching for somewhere to stay on your next vacation you will be faced with nearly endless options. You can stay in Dolly Parton’s tour bus, the cockpit of a Boeing 747 or in the supposedly haunted hotel that inspired Stephen King’s “The Shining.” All of these are worthy destinations in their own right, but …All of these are worthy destinations in their own right, but one of our favorite options for families is hotels with water parks. They may have fewer ghosts and no wig closet a la Dolly Parton, but they do provide hours of wet and wild fun without ever leaving your hotel.
"There is not much difference between an indoor greenhouse and an outdoor one," says Marc Hachadourian, director of glasshouse horticulture and senior curator of orchids at the. "The basic concept is the same — an enclosed environment that is modified for the growth of plants."
Hachadourian says indoor greenhouses usually differ from outdoor ones by location. Many indoor greenhousesThey usually don't have, nor necessarily require, the technology and insulating power of larger outdoor greenhouses.
Depending on the space in your home, what you want to grow and the investment you want to make, the shape, size and type of the indoor greenhouse you choose can vary. Anthat retains humidity, a glass cabinet with fans and lights, or a walk-in grow tent for tending lots of plants.
What Is a Cold Frame Greenhouse?
Gardening pros don't consider a cold frame a greenhouse, but they agree cold frames are highly useful. Learn more and consider if one is right for you.Whether you have a big garden or a small one, you can probably benefit from a cold frame greenhouse. Here's what you need to know.
What To Consider When Buying an Indoor Greenhouse
"Any greenhouse structure indoors or out requires a little research and planning," says Hachadourian. "Proper research and planning will help you avoid headaches or problems later and increase your chances of success."
Here are some important questions to consider before shopping for an indoor greenhouse:
- What types of plants do you want to grow, and what conditions do they need? Presumably, you're starting with just one indoor greenhouse, so make sure you choose plants that can all thrive in the same conditions.
- How much space is available? Measure where you're planning to install the greenhouse. Hachadourian says you should consider how big the plants will eventually grow, not just how big they are the first year or so.
- Is there enough natural light, or will you need to That's typically high-pressure sodium (HPS) or LED. If you need supplemental light, consider how you'll provide it.
- Choose a structure that won't let water and humidity escape to prevent damage to your home's flooring or walls.
Best Indoor Greenhouse Plants
"Home heating and air-conditioning," says Hachadourian, "is designed to make people comfortable but is not always ideal for plants." An indoor greenhouse can protect plants from conditions detrimental to their growth. Here are some of his top recommendations for:
30+ beautiful blue decorating ideas that make an impact
Embrace the colour of the year with these blue decorating ideas. From soft watery tones that will calm a bedroom to vivid inky indigo that will make a bathroom dramatic, check out these blue decorating ideas that will transform every room.
- Orchids: If you've ever visited a public botanical garden, you've probably seen how .
- Carnivorous plants: Insect and arthropod-eating plants, like Venus flytraps, do well in greenhouses as long as you feed them!
- Aroids: Members of the , these include fan favorites like philodendrons, peace lilies and pothos.
- Begonias: Whether you grow annuals or perennials, an indoor greenhouse will keep them safe and flowering year-round.
- Ferns: They , which is why they're such a popular indoor greenhouse plant.
Other ways to use an indoor greenhouse:
- to later replant outdoors once they're established.
- so they're available year-round.
- and vegetables, even in the off-season.
Best Location for an Indoor Greenhouse
Hachadourian says almost any location in the house can be suitable, depending on how much technology you incorporate. "Even a room with no windows" would work, he says,.
To start with something more simple, follow these tips:
5 Best Exercise Bikes to Stay Active Year-Round
You can stay fit year-round with indoor cycling. Here are the best exercise bikes, including spin and recumbent bikes, to use at home. The post 5 Best Exercise Bikes to Stay Active Year-Round appeared first on The Healthy.
- Sunlight, but not too much: "In general," says Hachadourian, "avoid locations with extremely strong sunlight unless you can provide proper ventilation, as they can heat up very quickly. Bright indirect light is usually best."
- Space and aesthetics: In any routinely used room, an indoor greenhouse will become part of the decor. Place it where you can see and tend to it, but not where it impedes household traffic.
- Power source: If your greenhouse needs light or fans, set it up near an outlet.
Best Indoor Greenhouses
We chose these three models based on size, style and budget:
Pure Garden Four-Tier Greenhouse
There's nothing fancy aboutwith metal shelves, but it's a great starter option. It's also when the weather warms up.
Glass Greenhouse Terrarium
Small apartment or modest ambitions?is suitable for orchids, and carnivorous plants, with a design reminiscent of Victorian-style greenhouses. One caveat: The bottom is not waterproof, so be sure to protect the surface underneath.
Vivosun HydroponicGrow Tent Kit
If your focus is less on aesthetics and more on growing healthy, high-yield fruits and vegetables year-round, then considerIt includes lights, fans and ventilation, creating a self-contained environment for , leafy greens and herbs.
How to transfer Capital One miles to airline partners
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information. It’s been nearly four years since Capital One first added transfer partners to its travel rewards cards, and since then, the currency has blossomed into a quality points program — now boasting 14 airline and 3 hotel partners. Capital One miles have gained …It’s been nearly four years since Capital One first added transfer partners to its travel rewards cards, and since then, the currency has blossomed into a quality points program — now boasting 14 airline and 3 hotel partners.
How to Make a Pot and Pan Pullout to Increase Kitchen Cabinet Storage .
A solution to stooping, searching and stacking.Complexity:Beginner