Smart LivingHow to reject a job offer in a polite way
If you are actively looking for a job, it will be common to find offers that might interest you at first glance. Just as there will be companies that reject your application, others will show a special interest in your profile and CV. In these cases, you will face two types of situations: those in which you manage to do an interview and others in which your interest will come to nothing.
When you do a job interview, and the company makes you an offer, it is up to you to accept it or not. If you do, the commitment is very relative, as you may decide to reject it after you have accepted it. For this, the best thing to do is not to close doors for the future. It all depends on how you do it. Find out how to politely turn down a job offer and what words to use to turn down a job by reading this article.
So, how do you turn down a job offer after an interview?
The fear of turning down a job after an interview is shared by many people. To get rid of this fear, it is essential to know how to say no to a job offer with courtesy and elegance. Following a series of guidelines will make it easier for you.
To turn down a job offer without looking bad, you should follow these instructions:
- Before communicating your decision, write down the reasons why you want to reject the offer after the interview. You don't have to tell them literally to the interviewer: it's just so that you have a clear idea.
- The best way to turn down a job offer is in person. So make an appointment with the person who interviewed you. If this is not possible, opt for a phone call and, ultimately, an email.
- You should be very clear about the words you use to reject a job. In this regard, go for sincerity and be as concise as possible, so don't use someone else's generic example or seek help from a free essay writer to choose the right words. Don't beat around the bush: you can be polite and direct at the same time. Take the opportunity to thank them for the treatment received, and the opportunity offered.
- Explain the reasons why you have decided to reject the job offer. Do not say that the company does not offer what you are looking for, but rather that your personal conditions are not in line with the offer and you cannot accept it.
- Say goodbye, thanking them for their time and wishing the company luck. Try to ask them to keep your CV for future offers in case your current situation changes, and you are able to accept the offer.
- Remember that personal contact is always more valuable than telephone and email. The company will appreciate this gesture of commitment and the value you give to the offer.
How to turn down a job offer you have already accepted
It is possible to turn down a job after signing a letter of offer, even after accepting it, without damaging your image in the company's eyes. There are different ways to do this:
- Demonstrate commitment to the current job. Tell the company that you are satisfied with your current position. It is a way of expressing your commitment to your job and demonstrating your professionalism so that you will be well valued and they will probably keep your CV for the future.
- Mention that your current job is stable. You are looking for job stability, and you have achieved it with your current position by signing a permanent contract. Communicating this to the company interested in your profile is a good argument for rejecting the offer, especially if it is a temporary contract.
- Tell that your current position is enough to develop yourself professionally. Sincerity is an added value if you feel fulfilled in your current job and do not feel the need to change it. Communicating this to the company is the most natural way to reject the offer without closing yourself off from future options.
- Mention financial aspects. You may not be convinced by the salary offered. If this is the only reason you want to reject the proposal, say it politely and clearly. The two are not mutually exclusive.
- If there are personal problems, they also can be useful to bring up. The family situations of each person are unknown to companies. Therefore, give this reason if the offer is incompatible with your current life, especially if the company is located in another city.
How to write a job rejection letter?
Still a bit confused about how to turn down a job offer politely? The theory explained so far may seem simple to apply, but the practice is not so simple. That's why the following tips may help you with your polite rejection:
- Be sincere and clear at all times. Don't deceive the company or make excuses to reject the offer. The truth is always more valuable than a lie.
- Communicate in person: only if this is not possible, do so by telephone. In any case, you should put your offer rejection in writing so that there is no confusion and so that your word is not questioned.
- Be polite and don't lose your manners at any time. Your image is important, and the company will keep it in mind for a new offer in the future.
15 credit cards currently offering sign-up bonuses of 100,000 points or more .
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new card offers and information. Credit card welcome offers and sign-up bonuses are the fastest way to increase your points and miles stash. There’s nothing quite like the thrill of seeing a massive bonus post to your loyalty account. From there, you can start dreaming …Credit card welcome offers and sign-up bonuses are the fastest way to increase your points and miles stash. There’s nothing quite like the thrill of seeing a massive bonus post to your loyalty account.