•   
  •   
  •   

Crime Man who admitted to string of killings could be released

09:21  07 march  2018
09:21  07 march  2018 Source:   ap.org

Slovak journalist and partner shot dead

  Slovak journalist and partner shot dead A contract killing is suspected as the journalist had been investigating alleged fraud.Jan Kuciak, 27, and Martina Kusnirova were shot dead at the weekend at home in Velka Maca, a village 65km (40.4 miles) east of the capital Bratislava.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight murders in the 1980s is close to walking. Utah Man Released From Venezuela Prison, Trump to Welcome Him Home at the White House.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight murders in the 1980s is Rejecting his release would likely lead to a court fight because of the signed agreement in 2000. County Prosecutor Julia Bates said she can 't go back on

This undated, file photo provided by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction shows Nathaniel Cook. Cook, one of two brothers who admitted killing a 12-year-old girl during a string of murders that terrorized an Ohio city in the early 1980s, could be released from prison within months. A judge has set a hearing for Thursday, March 8, 2018, to begin determining whether Cook should be registered as a sex offender if he's released. (Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction via AP) © The Associated Press This undated, file photo provided by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction shows Nathaniel Cook. Cook, one of two brothers who admitted killing a 12-year-old girl during a string of murders that terrorized an Ohio city in the early 1980s, could be released from prison within months. A judge has set a hearing for Thursday, March 8, 2018, to begin determining whether Cook should be registered as a sex offender if he's released. (Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction via AP)

TOLEDO, Ohio — One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight murders in the 1980s is close to walking out of prison.

Accused California child killer pleads guilty to torture and murder

  Accused California child killer pleads guilty to torture and murder The aunt of a 6-year-old boy and 3-year-old girl who died after suffering brutal beatings and starvation, pleaded guilty Wednesday to first-degree murder. In a Salinas, Calif. courtroom, Tami Joy Huntsman admitted that the 2015 killings of her niece and nephew were intentional.Shaun Tara, 6, and his sister Delylah, 3 were starved and abused for months at the hands of Huntsman and Curiel, prosecutors said. Their bodies were found in a storage shed in Plumas County on December 14, 2015.Their 9-year-old sister survived.Huntsman's boyfriend at the time, Gonzalo Curiel is also charged with torture and murder.

Man convicted in killings could be released from prison. TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight murders in the 1980s is close to walking out of prison.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - One of two brothers who admitted killing a 12-year-old girl during a string of murders that terrorized an Ohio city in the early 1980s could be released from prison within months.

Nathaniel Cook confessed to three murders in all with his older brother, the ringleader who's serving two life sentences, but he has a good chance of being freed after serving 20 years.

The victims' families and prosecutors agreed to a plea deal nearly two decades ago that called for Nathaniel Cook's eventual release this year in exchange for the brothers' confessions. It's now in a judge's hands to decide whether to uphold the agreement.

For the families, the confessions gave them answers they long sought, but now they're hoping there's some way to block his release.

"It's hard to think about it," said Mitch Balonek, whose 21-year-old sister Stacey was among the last victims killed by Anthony Cook in 1981. "I can't imagine anyone else, anywhere else getting out after being involved in those types of crimes."

Madness or murder? Trial begins for nanny who killed 2 kids

  Madness or murder? Trial begins for nanny who killed 2 kids A defense lawyer says it was an act of madness. Prosecutors will begin trying to prove Thursday that it was murder. Five years ago, Yoselyn Ortega, a trusted nanny to a well-to-do family, took two young children in her care into a bathroom at their Manhattan apartment, slaughtered them with a knife and then slit her own throat.The killings of Leo Krim, 2, and Lucia Krim, 6, shocked New Yorkers, especially the thousands of parents who depend on loving nannies to take care of their children.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) – One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight Rejecting his release would likely lead to a court fight because of the signed agreement in 2000. County Prosecutor Julia Bates said she can ’t go back on the deal because “if my

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight murders in the 1980s is 'Deadpool 2' has 2 end-credits scenes — here's what they mean for the future of the X- Men franchise. could she possibly appear in future movies?

His family didn't know who killed his sister and her boyfriend until Anthony Cook admitted to police that he had abducted the couple, raped Stacey and beat them to death with a baseball bat.

Nathaniel Cook, now 59, wasn't involved in either of those deaths, according to the brothers.

His role in the murders began in 1980 when he shot their first victim and then took part in the next two killings, the pair told detectives.

But for unexplained reasons Nathaniel Cook said he never killed again while his brother Anthony went on to kill five more people before he was arrested in just one of the killings in 1981 and sentenced to life in prison.

Nathaniel Cook later said the two never discussed the other killings and he tried to forget what they had done.

"He had to know that was his brother's work when he heard about those other murders and didn't say anything or do anything," Balonek said. "He doesn't deserve to be out."

Declassified Spy Papers Reveal a 1981 Attempt to Assassinate Queen Elizabeth II in New Zealand

  Declassified Spy Papers Reveal a 1981 Attempt to Assassinate Queen Elizabeth II in New Zealand Declassified intelligence documents released Thursday reveal that a mentally disturbed teenager attempted to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II while she was visiting New Zealand in 1981. The contents of the documents have led to claims that police tried to cover up the attempt, New Zealand news website Stuff reports. Subsequently, New Zealand police have launched an examination of the original investigation and case file.

TOLEDO, Ohio — A man who confessed to killing three people and now wants to be released from an Ohio prison under a plea deal is due back in court. A judge plans to hold a hearing in Toledo on Thursday, when she could decide whether to release Nathaniel Cook.

TOLEDO, Ohio — A man who confessed to killing three people and now wants to be released from an Ohio prison under a plea deal is due back in court. A judge plans to hold a hearing in Toledo on Thursday, when she could decide whether to release Nathaniel Cook.

It will be up to a Lucas County judge to decide whether to grant Nathaniel Cook's release. A hearing was set for Thursday to begin determining whether he should be registered as a sex offender and forced to disclose his address if he gets out.

The question before the judge is whether there's any other choice. Rejecting his release would likely lead to a court fight because of the signed agreement in 2000.

County Prosecutor Julia Bates said she can't go back on the deal because "if my word isn't my word then nobody is ever going to trust the prosecutor in the future ever again."

"But I didn't say I would agree to it, support it or recommend it. I said I wouldn't oppose it," she said.

Still, she doesn't regret the decision, especially when she thinks about how the relatives held hands and clapped when the brothers were sentenced. It felt then Nathaniel Cook's chance for release was far away.

"That 20 years is gone like a flash, at least it does seem that way to me," Bates said.

About a month ago she gathered the families of Nathaniel Cook's victims so they wouldn't be blindsided by the possibility of his release. A therapy dog was in the room.

Philippines' Duterte tells police, soldiers not to cooperate in any drug war probe

  Philippines' Duterte tells police, soldiers not to cooperate in any drug war probe Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered police and soldiers not to cooperate in any investigation into his bloody war on drugs, amid international calls for an external probe. Western countries and rights groups have expressed alarm over the killing by police of more than 4,000 Filipinos since Duterte took office in June 2016, plus hundreds more killings of drug users by unknown gunmen."When it comes to human rights, or whoever rapporteur it is, my order to you: Do not answer. Do not bother," Duterte said in a speech before elite armed police units in his home city of Davao late Thursday.

A man who confessed to killing three people and now wants to be released from an Ohio prison under a plea deal is due back in court. A judge plans to hold a hearing in Toledo on Thursday, when she could decide whether to release Nathaniel Cook.

One of two brothers who admitted stalking, raping and killing young women during a string of eight murders in the 1980s is close to walking out of prison. Could This Trendy Ear Piercing Also Help Prevent Your Migraines? admits of the 18% of women or 6% of men

"It was pretty awful," Bates said. "These people are still are in a lot of pain."

Sharon Backes-Wright, the mother of the youngest victim, said there's no reason why her 12-year-old daughter's killer should be released.

"They used Dawn as a plea bargaining chip," she said. "I'm sure Dawn pleaded for her life and now they expect the same considerations."

Investigators long had suspected the Cook brothers were involved in the series of killings, but lacked evidence. In 1998, they finally tied them to one of the shooting deaths and rapes using blood samples and DNA evidence.

The brothers were about to stand trial but they offered to confess to the series of murders in exchange for a chance of parole for Nathaniel Cook. They told of how they preyed on women walking alone and young couples in parked cars, raping the women before killing them.

It wasn't an easy choice for the families or prosecutors to accept the deal, but those involved said the case against the brothers in the decades-old killing wasn't a sure thing. And the death penalty or even a life sentence without parole weren't on the table because Ohio didn't have those options when the killings occurred.

Anthony Cook's confession to all eight killings in the early 1980s included admitting to the death of a ninth person, a woman he raped and shot in the 1970s. Nathaniel Cook admitted to three killings, but only pleaded guilty to kidnapping and attempted murder and was sentenced to serve another 18 years.

Despite the confessions, investigators kept trying to connect the brothers to other unsolved slayings. Both had worked as truck drivers and detectives suspected there were more victims somewhere.

They also figured if they could convict Nathaniel Cook in another case, he'd never be paroled.

Detectives worked with the FBI on a half-dozen solid possibilities, said Frank Stiles, a retired investigator who spent decades pursuing the brothers.

"We always thought within 20 years we could come up with something," Stiles said. "But it didn't happen, and now those 20 years are up."

LAPD officer won't face charges in killing of unarmed man .
LOS ANGELES — Nearly three years after a police shooting that sparked protests in Los Angeles, prosecutors said Thursday that they will not bring criminal charges against an officer who shot and killed an unarmed homeless man, despite a recommendation from the city's police chief that the officer be charged.Los Angeles County prosecutors released an 83-page report Thursday that found there is insufficient evidence to prove that Officer Clifford Proctor acted unlawfully when he fatally shot Brendon Glenn in May 2015 in Venice."After an independent and thorough review of all the evidence in this case, we cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Officer Proctor did not act within the law,"

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!