•   
  •   
  •   

Crime Trial date set for man accused in 5 Medical Center rapes

23:40  30 october  2019
23:40  30 october  2019 Source:   expressnews.com

Burned by ‘bad science’: How a doctor’s questionable opinion can help send caregivers to prison

  Burned by ‘bad science’: How a doctor’s questionable opinion can help send caregivers to prison DALLAS — A prosecutor projected a grisly photo onto a screen for the jury. It showed a little girl’s feet, burned up to her ankles and covered in blisters. The 2-year-old had climbed into a bathtub when nobody was looking, her grandparents had said, and the hot water must have been set too high. In the Texas courthouse 100 miles east of Dallas that day in September 2012, the prosecutor turned to his expert witness and asked whether he believed the child’s injuries could have been the result of an accident.“The pattern of her burn injuries is what I would call a forced immersion,” the expert, Dr.

A judge Wednesday set a January trial date for a San Antonio man accused of raping five women in the Medical Center area.

a person looking at the camera: Anton Harris, shown in this Aug. 26 photo, is accused of raping five women. A judge has set a trial date of Jan. 21.© Jerry Lara /Staff File Photo

Anton Harris, shown in this Aug. 26 photo, is accused of raping five women. A judge has set a trial date of Jan. 21.

Anton Harris is accused of raping five women, either at gun- or knifepoint, in and around the Medical Center area on the Northwest Side.

San Antonio police have accused Harris of a crime spree that began in 2015 when he was 16 and ended in 2017 with his arrest, two days after he graduated from high school.

He is charged in five aggravated sexual assaults and one aggravated robbery. He faces six life sentences, his attorney Jonathan Watkins said.

How the Astros got their swagger back

  How the Astros got their swagger back WASHINGTON — Nearly half the room was filled with champions. Their rings, each studded with 25 natural sapphires and 214 diamonds, from 2017 still glimmered, if not in lock boxes, certainly in memories. They knew better than to feel as shaken as they had looked coming off the Minute Maid Park field last week. They were beleaguered from an embarrassing Game 2 loss that frittered away home-field advantage and put them down 2-0 in the World Series to the chest-pounding Washington Nationals, who were playing more like the Astros had two years ago.

Separately, Harris sought to have Judge Frank J. Castro recused from hearing the cases. Castro in August denied a plea agreement that would have sent Harris, 20, to prison for a maximum term of 40 years, citing “strong objections” from one of the alleged victims.

When Castro refused to recuse himself, 4th Administrative Regio Judge Sid Harle denied the motion.

Castro set Jan. 21 for trial.

Elizabeth Zavala covers county and state courts in San Antonio. Read her on our free site, mySA.com, and on our subscriber site, ExpressNews.com. | ezavala@express-news.net | Twitter: @elizabeth2863

International court sentences Congo warlord to 30 years .
The International Criminal Court passed its highest ever sentence Thursday, sending a Congolese warlord known as "The Terminator" to prison for 30 years for crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery. Bosco Ntaganda was found guilty in July of 18 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity for his role as a military commander in atrocities in a bloody ethnic conflict in a mineral-rich region of Congo in 2002-2003.

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!