•   
  •   
  •   

Crime Miami-Dade judge approves pursuing sale of Surfside property that is site of condo collapse

23:51  14 july  2021
23:51  14 july  2021 Source:   miamiherald.com

Surfside Mayor Says Rescue Still On, Notes Woman in Bangladesh Survived 17 Days After Collapse

  Surfside Mayor Says Rescue Still On, Notes Woman in Bangladesh Survived 17 Days After Collapse "This rescue effortwill go on until everybody's pulled out of that debris," mayor Charles Burkett said Sunday.Speaking on CBS' Face the Nation Sunday, mayor Charles Burkett remained optimistic about search and rescue efforts to find missing residents of Champlain Towers South, a 12-story oceanfront condo that came crashing down on June 24. As of Sunday, at least two dozen people have been confirmed dead from the incident, while an additional 121 people remain unaccounted for.

SURFSIDE, Fla. — Hundreds of victims of the deadly collapse of a Surfside condo building could expect to see compensation in the near future, as a Miami-Dade Circuit judge Wednesday approved the planned sale of the oceanfront property, valued at more than $100 million, as well as the disbursement of millions more in insurance payments for property and personal damages.

Part of the 12- story oceanfront Champlain Towers South Condo, with more than 100 units at 8777 Collins Ave. in Surfside, Florida, collapsed early on June 24, 2021. © Amy Beth Bennett/South Florida Sun Sentinel/TNS Part of the 12- story oceanfront Champlain Towers South Condo, with more than 100 units at 8777 Collins Ave. in Surfside, Florida, collapsed early on June 24, 2021.

Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman told a courtroom packed with civil attorneys that he wanted to start the process of putting the site of the partially collapsed 12-story Champlain Towers South up for sale immediately. He also wants the court-appointed receiver for its condominium association to begin disbursing millions of dollars in insurance payments to former owners of the 136-unit building.

Report found Surfside condo association was deeply underfunded as repair bills piled up

  Report found Surfside condo association was deeply underfunded as repair bills piled up An independent budget review warned the Champlain Towers South condo association that its financial reserves were critically underfunded in the face of urgently needed structural repairs a little over a year before the building collapsed, a document obtained by CNN shows. The condo association only had 6.9% of the recommended level of money to complete repair and replacement projects and stay financially secure, according to a March 2020 report from Association Reserves, a company that analyzes housing association finances.

Hanzman ruled out the possibility of converting the entire Champlain property to a memorial site because any potential sale for that purpose would not generate much money for the victims of the collapse.

“This is a case where there is no amount of money in the world that could account for the loss and suffering of these victims,” Hanzman told about 50 lawyers. “This is going to be an extremely difficult case. This case is going to move at rapid speed.”

The judge also put a class-action case filed against the Champlain condominium association on a fast track and warned lawyers involved in a leadership committee not to expect to receive any contingency fees for their work and that he would consider approving payments for their hourly rate and expenses.

Death toll following Surfside condo collapse reaches 64

  Death toll following Surfside condo collapse reaches 64 Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava (D) said Thursday evening that the number of people confirmed dead following the Surfside condo collapse stands at 64 after four additional victims were found.Earlier on Thursday, Cava had said the number of confirmed deaths stood at 60 people.The number of people unaccounted for now stands at 76, down from more than 150 last week.Cava said some of the families who had lost members in the collapse were able to visit the site Thursday at their request. Video: Death toll in Surfside condo building collapse rises to 64 (CBS News) Your browser does not support this video "We held a moment of silence with our first responders.

Hanzman said he wanted to “monetize that property” as quickly as possibly so that the victims participating in the class-action case or in individual lawsuits can receive immediate compensation for relocation costs, loss of property and personal injury or death. Since the June 24 collapse of about half of the Champlain condo units, at least 95 people have been declared dead while a dozen more are still missing. Miami-Dade County has led the rescue and recovery efforts at 8777 Collins Ave.

With his swift actions Wednesday, the judge authorized the Champlain condo board receiver, Michael Goldberg, to begin the process of selling the property. There have already been inquiries to buy the property for between $100 million and $110 million, according to the court record, but the offers could go higher.

Goldberg said he agreed with the judge’s approach and wanted to pursue a “stalking horse” with an initial bid and then open up the process to competitive bids.

Searching for clues in the rubble at Surfside

  Searching for clues in the rubble at Surfside Allyn Kilsheimer, Surfside city's hired investigator, has been collecting evidence about the fallen condo and its design and maintenance in search of clues that could identify who, if anyone, should be held accountable for its collapse. The overlapping probes -- involving homicide detectives, local prosecutors and government engineers -- could take years to complete; and, any desire by survivors of the collapse or victims' families for a criminal resolution will run up against a legal standard that makes charges in a case like this difficult to bring.The evidence at the investigators' disposal is growing by the day.

On another track, Goldberg said he has already received a donation of $1 million from Miami civil attorney John Ruiz and that he has started to distribute some of that money to 20 of the 24 Champlain Towers South survivors who requested relocation benefits. He said four others were rejected, including a woman who had rented in the condo tower but left in January months before the collapse and three owners who had been renting their units to others.

Goldberg said there is a total of $48 million of insurance coverage held by the Champlain condo association — $30 million for property damage and $18 million for personal injury.

He identified a handful of insurers who have already paid or made commitments to pay the full personal injury coverage, while one other insurer appears ready to commit to the full property damage coverage.

At the same time, Paul Singerman, another attorney representing the receiver, requested and got the judge’s approval to disburse $2.4 million in deposits that some Champlain condo owners had already made towards a $15 million assessment for planned structural, mechanical and electrical repairs on the building. That assessment was meant to cover the cost of Champlain’s 40-year recertification required by Miami-Dade County. It was moving forward in the months before the partial collapse of the tower.

'Condo wars:' Surfside association fighting in Florida was extreme, but it's a familiar battle for HOAs

  'Condo wars:' Surfside association fighting in Florida was extreme, but it's a familiar battle for HOAs Infighting and financial battles play out across the nation in condos, homeowner associations and co-ops — roughly 380,000 associations in all."Why is all of this so complicated and expensive?" read the question that topped the board's meeting minutes over a list of major structural problems last October as the deadline for a state-required recertification of the Surfside, Florida building approached.

Goldberg said the Champlain tragedy makes this case like no other, saying he has been receiving calls from survivors and relatives of deceased victims who are “extremely sad.”

Hanzman acknowledged that the case was “heart-wrenching.”

“It’s going to take a lot of hand holding, but I know you’re up to the task,” Hanzman told Goldberg.

In addition, the judge advised the lawyers in the courtroom that he wanted to establish a leadership committee for the class-action case by Friday. Miami attorney Harley Tropin, who is heading the group, said he would be able to meet that deadline.

Hanzman made it clear that none of the lawyers working on the class-action case should expect to receive any contingency fees as they normally do on the scale of 30 percent or higher in typical personal injury claims. The judge said he would be willing to consider covering their hourly rate and costs at the end.

“There is no legal right to payments of any type for services rendered in this [class-action] case,” Hanzman said, emphasizing that he wanted as much of the recovered insurance and other proceeds to go to the Champlain victims.

There are two tracks for the class-action case — property and personal injury claims. The latter claims will be more challenging to sort out because the victims in the Champlain tower collapse have varied backgrounds and ages.

Those who opt out of the class action can pursue individual claims. So far, more than 30 negligence lawsuits have been filed against the Champlain Towers South’s condo association and other defendants.

———

Condo collapse: Investigation into the Surfside building won't begin while the site remains a crime scene, expert says .
The Surfside community in Florida is anxious to learn what caused the condo building collapse that has killed at least 97 people, but a structural engineer said the investigation will not reach full force until search crews have finished their work. © Miami-Dade Fire Rescue/Twitter Task force members working at the residential building collapse site in Miami-Dade County, Florida are seen in this photo released by the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue on July 10.

usr: 1
This is interesting!