Entertainment: Concerts canceled, investigation opened into Placido Domingo - Plácido Domingo, balance your tenor - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

EntertainmentConcerts canceled, investigation opened into Placido Domingo

01:55  14 august  2019
01:55  14 august  2019 Source:   ap.org

"This is Puerto Rico": A community still suffering from Maria

Domingo Villafane, 76, said he would tell the people of America that Puerto Rico is "abandoned"

“ Placido Domingo has been a dynamic creative force in the life of LA opera and the artistic culture of Los Angeles for more than three decades,” the In canceling its invitation for Domingo to sing at its Sept. 18 opening gala, the Philadelphia Orchestra issued a statement saying: “We are committed to

Placído Domingo has been at home on the world’s stages for over half a century. Well over 4,000 singing and conducting engagements to date have taken him across the globe, from leading opera houses to historic concerts celebrating some of the greatest international events.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades.

Concerts canceled, investigation opened into Placido Domingo © Provided by The Associated Press FILE - In this Nov. 5, 1994 file photo, Placido Domingo performs in the San Francisco Opera's production of "Herodiade" in San Francisco. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, the San Francisco Opera said it is canceling an October concert featuring Domingo after the publication of an Associated Press story that quoted numerous women as saying they were sexually harassed or subjected to inappropriate behavior by the superstar. (AP Photo/Dwayne Newton)

Domingo has been general director of the LA Opera since 2003 and previously served as the company's artistic director, jobs that gave him the power to cast roles and — his accusers say — make, or break, careers.

Women accuse opera legend Domingo of sexual harassment

Women accuse opera legend Domingo of sexual harassment For decades, Placido Domingo, one of the most celebrated and powerful men in opera, has tried to pressure women into sexual relationships by dangling jobs and then sometimes punishing the women professionally when they refused his advances, numerous accusers told The Associated Press. 

The opera singer Plácido Domingo has been accused by several women of sexual harassment. Eight singers and a dancer said they were sexually harassed by the Spanish tenor in incidents Only one woman, the mezzo-soprano Patricia Wulf, consented to her name being used in the AP investigation .

22, 2004, file photo, Placido Domingo sings during his performance at the National Theater in Santiago, Dominican Republic. “The Philadelphia Orchestra Association has withdrawn its invitation to Plácido Domingo to appear as part of its Opening Night concert on September 18, 2019.

Some of the women told the AP that Domingo used his power at the LA company and elsewhere to try to pressure them into sexual relationships, with several saying that he dangled jobs and then sometimes punished them professionally if they refused his advances.

On Tuesday, the Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star, regarded as one of the greatest opera singers of all time.

New York's Metropolitan Opera said it would await the results of LA Opera's investigation "before making any final decisions about Mr. Domingo's future at the Met," where he is scheduled to appear next month.

The 78-year-old Domingo is one of the industry's most powerful figures and more than three dozen people in the opera world told the AP that his behavior has long been an open secret.

Philadelphia Orchestra Cancels Placido Domingo Appearance at Opening Gala

Philadelphia Orchestra Cancels Placido Domingo Appearance at Opening Gala Just hours after reports emerged that legendary opera singer Placido Domingo had pressured at least nine women for sexual favors by dangling prospects of work as reward, the Philadelphia Orchestra withdrew its invitation for the vocalist to appear with music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin in the season’s gala opening concert September 18. The gala’s date will remain the same and the Orchestra is currently looking for a replacement.

Opera great Placido Domingo defended himself against multiple accusations of sexual harassment Tuesday as the Los Angeles Opera opened an investigation into the "concerning allegations" and another group canceled one of his performances.

For decades, Placido Domingo , one of the most celebrated and powerful men in opera, has tried to Domingo ’s pursuits extended beyond the concert hall, according to one singer who said she Domingo — who was in Rome that summer performing “Tosca” for a live broadcast around the world

The accusers who spoke to the AP — all but one of whom requested anonymity — said they had feared speaking out previously would kill their careers due to his immense standing.

Domingo issued a statement to the AP calling the allegations "deeply troubling and, as presented inaccurate," adding "I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual."

The LA Opera said it would hire outside counsel to investigate the "concerning allegations" against Domingo.

"Placido Domingo has been a dynamic creative force in the life of LA opera and the artistic culture of Los Angeles for more than three decades," the company said in a statement. "Nevertheless, we are committed to doing everything we can to foster a professional and collaborative environment where all our employees and artists feel equally comfortable, valued and respected."

Los Angeles Opera Investigating ‘Concerning Allegations’ Against Placido Domingo

Los Angeles Opera Investigating ‘Concerning Allegations’ Against Placido Domingo In response to the sexual harassment allegations leveled by nine women against opera singer Placido Domingo, the Los Angeles Opera, where the singer has been General Director since 2003, offered a written statement sent by its Director of Communications. “We believe all employees and artists should be treated respectfully and feel safe and secure within their work environment. LA Opera has robust human resources policies and procedures in place. In accordance with those policies, LA Opera will engage outside counsel to investigate the concerning allegations about Plácido Domingo.

Placido Domingo , Jose Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti sing during the Three Tenors” concert She said when she brought her husband, Richard Lew, to the “Magic Flute” opening night party Domingo — who was in Rome that summer performing “Tosca” for a live broadcast around the world — sent a

For decades, opera legend Placido Domingo has tried to pressure women into sexual relationships, numerous accusers told The Associated Press. MTV suspended the show in order to conduct an investigation Spanish tenor Placido Domingo and his wife, Marta, have been married since 1962.

Three women quoted in the story detailed encounters that they said occurred while working with Domingo at LA Opera, including one woman who told the AP that he stuck his hand down her skirt after urging her to come sing an aria for him at his apartment.

In canceling its invitation for Domingo to sing at its Sept. 18 opening gala, the Philadelphia Orchestra issued a statement saying: "We are committed to providing a safe, supportive, respectful, and appropriate environment for the orchestra and staff, for collaborating artists and composers, and for our audiences and communities."

Concerts canceled, investigation opened into Placido Domingo © Provided by The Associated Press A cyclist passes by The Kimmel Center for the Performance Arts, Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, in Philadelphia. On Tuesday, the Philadelphia Orchestra rescinded an invitation for Placido Domingo appear at its opening night concert in September. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

The San Francisco Opera said it would scrub a sold-out Oct. 6 concert featuring Domingo, which had been to mark his 50th anniversary with the company. It was promoted as a "special one performance-only event" with "one of the most influential singing actors in the history of opera" and was one of several gala events this year to celebrate his legendary career.

European Opera Houses Standing By Placido Domingo… For Now

European Opera Houses Standing By Placido Domingo… For Now While two U.S. opera houses immediately canceled performances by famed tenor Placido Domingo following sexual harassment allegations, European opera houses are taking stances ranging from supportive to wait-and-see. © Mark Thompson/Getty Images. The Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera immediately announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star and the Los Angeles Opera opened an investigation following an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades.

Plácido Domingo is a world-renowned, multifaceted artist. Opening Night Concert & Gala. September 18 - 2019 Philadelphia, PA Singing.

The world-famous opera star Plácido Domingo is facing multiple accusations of sexual harassment after an in-depth report by the Associated Press. Eight singers and a dancer told the AP that the Italian singer had pursued them romantically, and in some cases pressured them into sexual encounters.

The Met held a black-tie dinner in April for Domingo, where seats started at $2,500. He is scheduled to play the lead of "Macbeth" in three Met shows in September and October.

"We take accusations of sexual harassment and abuse of power with extreme seriousness," the opera house said in a statement, noting that "Mr. Domingo has never been in a position to influence casting decisions for anyone other than himself" at the Met.

At the Salzburg Festival in Austria, where Domingo is scheduled to appear Aug. 31 — his next scheduled performance — festival president Helga Rabl-Stadler said organizers agreed he should appear as planned.

"I have known Placido Domingo for more than 25 years," Rabl-Stadler said in a statement. "In addition to his artistic competence, I was impressed from the very beginning by his appreciative treatment of all festival employees."

"I would find it factually wrong and morally irresponsible to make irreversible judgments at this point," she said.

Domingo served as artistic director for the Washington Opera from 1996-2003 and as the company's general director from 2003 to 2011, during which time its name was changed to Washington National Opera. In 2011, the company merged with the Kennedy Center.

In a joint statement to AP, the institutions said the allegations against Domingo predated the merger.

CBS Evening News' Norah O'Donnell Caught on Hot Mic During Placido Domingo Segment

CBS Evening News' Norah O'Donnell Caught on Hot Mic During Placido Domingo Segment accusations against opera star Placido Domingo, CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell was caught on a hot mic saying what sounded like, "Sounds like somebody else here…" O'Donnell was overheard during a portion of the report in which Domingo said he believed all relationships in his past were consensual. But her comment was scrubbed from the audio when the clip was uploaded to the CBS website. You can hear her comment at the 1:45 mark in the

15-year-old American Coco Gauff gets US Open wild-card entry. 'Thank you for breaking into my truck': Minnesota man posts sign in yard after break-in. The Latest: Concerts canceled over Hong Kong airport protest. Opera singer Placido Domingo accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, AP reports.

Placido Domingo is one of the world's greatest opera singers but some of his female colleagues allege he sexually harassed them. A number of female opera singers and other performers have alleged Domingo tried to pressure them into sexual relationships and sometimes punished them when they

"The Kennedy Center did not receive any documented complaints about Mr. Domingo's behavior prior to WNO's affiliation with the Kennedy Center, and we have not received any since then," the statement said, adding that the company has "zero tolerance policies with regard to harassment, discrimination or abuse of any kind, and we take allegations of this nature very seriously."

Retired mezzo-soprano Patricia Wulf, the sole accuser to allow her name to be used, told the AP that Domingo behaved inappropriately with her when she worked at the Washington Opera.

Even after she repeatedly rebuffed his advances, she said, his persistence continued and he would often knock on her dressing room door, causing her to fear emerging if he was in the hallway.

Wulf recalled the compassion of a male colleague who offered to stand up for her if she wanted to report him. "They're not going to fire him — they'll fire me," she remembered telling him.

Too fearful to complain about Domingo at the time, Wulf said she spoke out now to end the culture of silence about abuse in the opera world.

"I'm stepping forward because I hope that it can help other women come forward, or be strong enough to say no," she said.

Read More

New women accuse opera legend Domingo of sexual harassment.
The glittering production was a high point of the Washington Opera's 1999-2000 season: Jules Massenet's "Le Cid," about a legendary Spanish conqueror, starring a tenor legendary in his own right — Placido Domingo, then the company's artistic director. The opera, also being filmed for broadcast on public television, was unquestionably a career break for a 28-year-old singer named Angela Turner Wilson, who'd been cast as the second female lead and was singled out for praise in reviews. "I knew this was the start of big things for me," she says now.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!