EntertainmentEuropean Opera Houses Standing By Placido Domingo… For Now
"This is Puerto Rico": A community still suffering from Maria
Domingo Villafane, 76, said he would tell the people of America that Puerto Rico is "abandoned"
While two U.S. opera houses immediately canceled performances by famed tenor Placido Domingo following sexual harassment allegations, European opera houses are taking stances ranging from supportive to wait-and-see.
The Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera immediately announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star and the Los Angeles Opera opened an investigation following an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades.
In Europe, there were no immediate cancellations of the 78-year-old Domingo's performances and even some words of support for the star. Opera world officials noted that no charges had been brought against Domingo and no formal judicial investigations were underway that might provide legal underpinning to cancel any contractual obligations.
Women accuse opera legend Domingo of sexual harassment
For decades, Placido Domingo, one of the most celebrated and powerful men in opera, has tried to pressure women into sexual relationships by dangling jobs and then sometimes punishing the women professionally when they refused his advances, numerous accusers told The Associated Press.
Nineteen of the singer's 24 engagements through November 2020 are on European stages, according to his website. Upcoming performances in Salzburg, Milan, London, Zurich, Cologne, Hamburg and Geneva were still on but some venues said they would monitor the investigation in Los Angeles, where Domingo has been general director since 2003 and previously was artistic director.
Other venues postponed comment, citing the summer holiday, or were not reachable.
The stark differences in the levels of urgency in the responses underline the differences in the footing of the #MeToo movement on both sides of the Atlantic.
Opera houses in the United States might consider the possibility of damaging protests outside their venues if they maintained the scheduled performances. But, in Europe Domingo's status as one of the most popular and influential figures in the opera world could trigger a backlash against venues if performances were canceled without due process, said one opera official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of lack of authorization to discuss personnel matters.
Philadelphia Orchestra Cancels Placido Domingo Appearance at Opening Gala
Just hours after reports emerged that legendary opera singer Placido Domingo had pressured at least nine women for sexual favors by dangling prospects of work as reward, the Philadelphia Orchestra withdrew its invitation for the vocalist to appear with music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin in the season’s gala opening concert September 18. The gala’s date will remain the same and the Orchestra is currently looking for a replacement.
"Some attitudes, seen in hindsight, risk being misunderstood," cultural journalist Leonetta Bentivoglio wrote Wednesday in the Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That he was a Don Juan was something everyone knew, and in the promiscuous theater world he is not alone. We must add that his charm has always attracted a crowd of women, and often it was he who had to defend himself."
Bentivoglio recalled an incident at a Paris hotel during Domingo's "Three Tenors" heyday with Luciano Pavarotti and Jose Carreras, when he asked journalists to pretend to accompany him in the elevator "to escape to his room without being followed by some beautiful young women," who were in pursuit.
"These are difficult stories to tell in the slippery era of #MeToo," she wrote.
Domingo did not respond to detailed questions from the AP about specific incidents, but issued a statement calling the allegations "deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate."
Los Angeles Opera Investigating ‘Concerning Allegations’ Against Placido Domingo
In response to the sexual harassment allegations leveled by nine women against opera singer Placido Domingo, the Los Angeles Opera, where the singer has been General Director since 2003, offered a written statement sent by its Director of Communications. “We believe all employees and artists should be treated respectfully and feel safe and secure within their work environment. LA Opera has robust human resources policies and procedures in place. In accordance with those policies, LA Opera will engage outside counsel to investigate the concerning allegations about Plácido Domingo.
"Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable — no matter how long ago and despite my best intentions. I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual. People who know me or who have worked with me know that I am not someone who would intentionally harm, offend, or embarrass anyone," the statement said.
"However, I recognize that the rules and standards by which we are —and should be — measured against today are very different than they were in the past. I am blessed and privileged to have had a more than 50-year career in opera and will hold myself to the highest standards."
Domingo has received direct support from the Salzburg Festival in Austria, his next scheduled performance on Aug. 31, as well as from some singers who have shared the stage with him.
Salzburg Festival president Helga Rabl-Stadler, who said she has known Domingo for 25 years and has long appreciated both his "artistic competence" and "appreciative treatment of all festival employees," said "it would be factually wrong and morally irresponsible to make irreversible judgments at this point."
Concerts canceled, investigation opened into Placido Domingo
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades. Domingo has been general director of the LA Opera since 2003 and previously served as the company's artistic director, jobs that gave him the power to cast roles and — his accusers say — make, or break, careers.
The Hamburg opera house in Germany also said Domingo's Nov. 27 appearance there was still on, citing the lack of any legal action against the tenor.
"As a public institution we neither tolerate nor trivialize sexual assaults, but we are also bound by the principles of the rule of law in our actions. Valid contracts with the concert promoter exist for the appearance of Plácido Domingo," the opera house said in a statement. "Subject to further developments, the concert will therefore take place as planned."
Domingo has a reputation for making the rounds of offices when he arrives at theaters to greet employees and workers at every level — a characteristic that has helped make him beloved in a world full of demanding divas and divos. He also founded the Operalia world opera contest, an event attracting 1,000 applicants each year that has helped launch careers for the last 26 years.
Three Spanish sopranos have come to his defense, saying that they have never experienced the sort of behavior described in the AP story, which included accusations that he put his hand down one woman's skirt and forced wet kisses on three others. All of the allegations were related to incidents in the United States, spanning two decades beginning in the late 1980s.
Spain's Europa Press news agency on Wednesday quoted Spanish soprano Davinia Rodriguez as saying she "never felt the least indication of what they accuse the maestro of," adding that Domingo had always shown her and theater workers "the maximum of respect, with the humbleness and generosity that characterizes him."
CBS Evening News' Norah O'Donnell Caught on Hot Mic During Placido Domingo Segment
accusations against opera star Placido Domingo, CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell was caught on a hot mic saying what sounded like, "Sounds like somebody else here…" O'Donnell was overheard during a portion of the report in which Domingo said he believed all relationships in his past were consensual. But her comment was scrubbed from the audio when the clip was uploaded to the CBS website. You can hear her comment at the 1:45 mark in the
Fellow Spanish soprano Pilar Jurado said that Domingo had always behaved "as a perfect gentleman" with her and Spanish soprano Ainho Arteta expressed shock at the allegations, saying she considered Domingo and his wife to be family.
"I have no idea if he might have flirted and scored. That sort of thing went on before and still does now, but I know he is not a harasser, I'd put my hand in the fire on it," Arteta told the Spanish daily El Pais.
Related video: Placido Domingo accused of sexual harassment (Provided by ABC):
Plácido Domingo: He is said to have molested women
Placido Domingo is currently not a welcome guest in the opera houses of the world. The singer and conductor are charged with serious crimes: nine women accuse him of sexual harassment.
, 78, is said to have inappropriately approached the women, eight singers and one dancer. The charge of sexual harassment is in the room. First opera houses are drawing their consequences: the Philadelphia Orchestra is canceling a season-opening concert with the Spanish star tenor in September, the San Francisco Opera is scheduling a scheduled event in October, and the Los Angeles Opera is apparently conducting investigations. The otherwise wide open doors of the concert halls appear to close one after the other before the vocal legend, spoiled for success.
Plácido Domingo: This is accused him
The nine women involved, other artists and employees of opera houses have, according to their own statements, told the news agency AP. Respondents are said to have confirmed that the award-winning tenor has approached immature, especially younger women. These attacks would have begun at the end of the eighties. Terrifying: Domingo's behavior was no secret in the industry.
Those interested in other MSN readers:
Fallen cycling star:
A concerned describes accordingly, how Domingo put his hand into her skirt. Three other alleged victims of the attacks claim that he has imposed "wet kisses" on them. The sexual harassment should have taken place in a dressing room, a hotel room and a lunch. "A business lunch is not unusual," said one of the singers. "Someone who tries to hold your hand during a business lunch is strange - or putting your hand on your knee is also a bit strange. He has always somehow touched and always kissed you. "
Domingo publishes a statement
Domingo does not appear to have requested AP's request, but instead publishes a statement:" The allegations of these unnamed individuals, dating back to thirty years, are It is deeply disturbing and, as shown, inaccurate, "writes the 78-year-old," but it is painful to hear that I have angered someone or that someone has felt uncomfortable - no matter how long ago and despite my best intentions. I believed that all my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual. "
Women accusing Placido Domingo of sexual harassment to describe similar mo: late night phone calls, career talk and requests for private meetings at his apartment or hotel room response below Read more:- The Associated Press (@AP)
The hitherto scandal-free tenor appeals to the people, who know him or have worked with him, who would know that he is not a person who "intentionally injures, insults, or embarrasses anyone." However, the twilight star continues, "But I recognize that the rules and standards that we should measure - and measure - today are very different from those in the past. I am blessed and privileged to have more than 50 years of operatic career behind me and will adhere to the highest standards. "
" MeToo Movement "Encouraged Suspected Victims
If the allegations turn out to be true, It is probably too late for Domingo's now optimized standard claims on himself. His reputation is currently damaged, if only because renowned opera houses take the allegations of the nine women seriously. Incidentally, the alleged victims make it clear to AP that they felt encouraged by the #Metoo movement. Her decision to talk about her experiences with the famous and opera-powerful singer and conductor is "the most effective way to attack the deadlocked sexual misconduct of her industry."
Sources used: AP The Associated Press
More on MSN
New women accuse opera legend Domingo of sexual harassment.
The glittering production was a high point of the Washington Opera's 1999-2000 season: Jules Massenet's "Le Cid," about a legendary Spanish conqueror, starring a tenor legendary in his own right — Placido Domingo, then the company's artistic director. The opera, also being filmed for broadcast on public television, was unquestionably a career break for a 28-year-old singer named Angela Turner Wilson, who'd been cast as the second female lead and was singled out for praise in reviews. "I knew this was the start of big things for me," she says now.
La voce in bellezza – International Opera Studio Zurich (2011)
The Zurich Opera operates an international opera studio that each year allows twenty young singers from all over the world to fine-tune their skills and become ...
Puccini's original 'Madame Butterfly' returns to La Scala
Milan's La Scala opera house has opened its new season with the original more brutal version of Puccini's "Madame Butterfly". First performed in 1904 the ...