•   
  •   
  •   

Offbeat 6 killed in strikes on Yemen capital: medical source

16:15  07 may  2018
16:15  07 may  2018 Source:   msn.com

Reports: Fighting near Syrian capital kills, wounds dozens

  Reports: Fighting near Syrian capital kills, wounds dozens Syrian state media and a war monitor say violence between Syrian troops and Islamic State group fighters in southern neighborhoods of Damascus killed and wounded dozens of people.The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said government bombardment killed 17 people, including seven children and two women in the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk mostly controlled by IS.

Yemenis check the presidential office building in the rebel-held capital Sanaa on May 7, 2018 after it was hit by air strikes that reportedly killed six people and wounded 30 © Provided by AFP Yemenis check the presidential office building in the rebel-held capital Sanaa on May 7, 2018 after it was hit by air strikes that reportedly killed six people and wounded 30

Two air raids targeted the office of the presidency in Yemen's rebel-held capital Sanaa on Monday, leaving at least six people killed and 30 wounded, a medical source told AFP.

The rebel-run Al-Masirah television blamed the Saudi-led coalition for the raids.

Witnesses said the office, used by the Huthi rebel administration and located in the Tahrir district of Sanaa, is normally bustling with employees.

Residents said they heard two powerful explosions hit the building, which is located near a hotel, a bank and shops, and not far from the central bank.

Tehran dismisses Pompeo's 'unfounded' accusations

  Tehran dismisses Pompeo's 'unfounded' accusations Iran on Monday dismissed "unfounded" accusations by new US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo over its "ambition to dominate the Middle East".Pompeo lashed out at Tehran on Sunday during a rapid tour of Middle East allies ahead of a crucial White House decision on whether to quit a landmark 2015 nuclear deal with Iran.

"We were working next door to the presidential offices and heard a plane, and then an explosion," Ahmed Dehashir, a first responder, told AFP at the scene of the attack.

"Some people rushed to the scene and saw the destruction and people caught under the rubble. We tried to dig out the dead and wounded from under the debris, and then there was a second strike," he said.

"There are a lot of people trapped under the rubble," Dehashir added.

The Huthis' Al-Masirah television accused the Saudi-led coalition, which has been fighting the rebels since 2015 to shore up the internationally recognised government, of responsibility for the strikes.

The coalition could not immediately be reached for comment.

The strikes came hours after Saudi Arabia's air defences intercepted two ballistic missiles launched by the Huthis that targeted the south of the kingdom, said coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki.

Missile strikes on Syria kill 26, mostly Iranian, forces

  Missile strikes on Syria kill 26, mostly Iranian, forces Missile strikes on central Syria killed 26 pro-regime fighters, most of them Iranians, a monitor said Monday, in a raid that bore the hallmarks of Tehran's archfoe Israel.Load Error

He said the rockets were launched from northern Yemen toward "populated areas" of Saudi Arabia, but were intercepted overnight without any casualties or damage.

"This hostile act... proves the continued involvement of the Iranian regime in supporting the Huthi militia with qualitative capabilities," Malki added.

Since November of last year, the Iran-backed insurgents have intensified missile attacks into neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi-led coalition launched a military intervention in Yemen in 2015 with the goal of rolling back the Huthis and restoring the internationally-recognised government to power.

The conflict has left nearly 10,000 people killed, tens of thousands wounded, and millions on the brink of famine in what the United Nations has called the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

Cleanup underway a day after powerful storms pound Northeast .
The cleanup is underway throughout the Northeast a day after powerful storms pounded the region with torrential rain and marble-sized hail, leaving at least three people dead and hundreds of thousands of customers without power. Connecticut officials said a man was killed Tuesday when a tree fell on his truck in New Fairfield, and in Danbury, a man who had taken refuge to escape the storm was killed when a tree fell on his truck. An 11-year-old New York girl was killed when a large tree toppled onto the car she was in.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!