•   
  •   
  •   

Offbeat Settlement reached in LA shooting of homeless black man

07:35  11 may  2018
07:35  11 may  2018 Source:   msn.com

Jackie Chan's Estranged Gay Daughter Says She's Been Homeless for a Month Due to Homophobia

  Jackie Chan's Estranged Gay Daughter Says She's Been Homeless for a Month Due to Homophobia ackie Chan’s estranged daughter and her partner claim they’ve been homeless and sleeping under a bridge “due to homophobic parents.”Etta Ng, 18, and her girlfriend Andi Autumn posted a short video to YouTube last week claiming that they’ve run out of options because their friends and family have refused to offer them support.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A settlement of .9 million was reached Thursday in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal police shooting of a homeless black man on Skid Row in Los Angeles three years ago, attorneys said.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A settlement of .9 million was reached Thursday in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal police shooting of a homeless black man on Skid Row in Los Angeles three years ago, attorneys said.

FILE - In this March 2, 2015, file photo, a pedestrian walks past flowers and candles placed on a sidewalk near where Charly Keunang, a homeless man was shot and killed by police in the Skid Row section of downtown Los Angeles. A jury has found the two Los Angeles police officers liable for damages in the fatal 2015 shooting. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File) © The Associated Press FILE - In this March 2, 2015, file photo, a pedestrian walks past flowers and candles placed on a sidewalk near where Charly Keunang, a homeless man was shot and killed by police in the Skid Row section of downtown Los Angeles. A jury has found the two Los Angeles police officers liable for damages in the fatal 2015 shooting. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File)

LOS ANGELES — A settlement of $1.9 million was reached Thursday in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal police shooting of a homeless black man on Skid Row in Los Angeles three years ago, attorneys said.

A jury earlier in the day found two police officers liable for financial damages in the shooting death of Charly "Africa" Keunang, a transient from Cameroon.

Miners suffering from deadly lung disease get $400 million settlement

  Miners suffering from deadly lung disease get $400 million settlement Thousands of miners are suffering from degenerative lung disease that they got after inhaling dangerous dust while working underground for decades. When CBS News first met Zwelindaba Mgidi, he didn't have much time left. He was slowly dying from silicosis, a degenerative lung disease contracted during his 33 years underground in South Africa's gold mines."I just sit around at home all day," he said. "It's very difficult and painful."When he first entered the mine he was young, fit and a local boxing champion. Now he can barely walk a few steps without a hacking cough.

LOS ANGELES — A settlement of .9 million was reached Thursday in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal police shooting of a homeless black man on Skid Row in Los Angeles three years ago, attorneys said.

Attorneys say a settlement of .9 million has been reached in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal police shooting of a homeless black man on Skid Row in Los Angeles . May 10, 2018, at 11:54 p.m.

Jurors were set to begin the damages phase of the trial when the settlement was announced. The agreement, which requires City Council approval, resolves all fees, costs and claims and closes any future litigation over Keunang's death, City News Service reported. The settlement will go to Keunang's family if approved.

"There's no amount of money that's going to bring back the loved one," U.S. District Judge Terry J. Hatter Jr. said at the conclusion of the federal civil trial.

The eight-member jury unanimously determined that Officer Francisco Martinez deprived Keunang of his Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable force and that Sgt. Chand Syed breached his duty as a supervisor to intervene during the fatal encounter.

4-year-old superhero getting lots of love for crusade to help homeless

  4-year-old superhero getting lots of love for crusade to help homeless Since we first told you about 4-year-old Austin Perine, his cause has gotten a lot of attention"It's just the right thing to do," Austin told us.

LOS ANGELES — A settlement of .9 million was reached Thursday in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal police shooting of a homeless black man on Skid Row in Los Angeles three years ago, attorneys said.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on a civil trial over the fatal shooting of a homeless man in Los Angeles (all times local)

Prosecutors in 2016 declined to file charges against the officers after it was determined the shooting justified because Keunang grabbed a rookie officer's gun during a struggle March 1, 2015.

The Los Angeles Police Department issued a statement saying that it stands by the findings of the LAPD, the city Police Commission and the Los Angeles County district attorney's office that "the uses of force by our officers were consistent with the law and Department policy."

LAPD officers "make every effort to safely take suspects into custody without the use of force," the statement said. "In this situation, force was necessary because of the violent behavior of the suspect."

Officers were responding to reports that Keunang, 43, a Cameroon national, had threatened another man living on the street in the section of the city teeming with homeless people.

Video of the shooting by a bystander was viewed millions of times online and prompted protests in the city and drew comparisons with the deaths of other black men killed by officers in the U.S.

A lawyer representing Keunang's family in the lawsuit disputed that the homeless man ever had hold of an officer's gun.

The Police Commission cleared officers of the shooting, though it found one officer's tactics violated policy. It did not publicly reveal what policy was violated.

Keunang's family sued the city of Los Angeles and four officers, seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages on allegations of wrongful death, negligence and civil rights violations.

The jury cleared a third defendant, Officer Daniel Torres, while former Officer Joshua Volasgis — who was named as a defendant — had been expected to face proceedings in state court, but the settlement effectively ends that case, said Deputy City Attorney Christian R. Bojorquez.

For sex abuse victim, MSU settlement is a "victory" but the fight isn't over .
Michigan State University will pay $500 million​ to settle claims from survivors of the biggest sex assault case in sports history . More than 300 women sued Michigan State for allegedly ignoring complaints about disgraced former doctor, Larry Nassar. He abused female gymnasts and other athletes for decades, and will be in prison the rest of his life. The details of the settlement are still being finalized, but Michigan State's trustees approved its basic terms on Wednesday. Some survivors feel vindicated by this settlement, but they also insist their fight for justice is far from over, reports CBS News' Dr.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!