•   
  •   
  •   

Offbeat Couple Who Survived Charlottesville Attack Marry, Honor Heather Heyer

01:56  20 may  2018
01:56  20 may  2018 Source:   huffingtonpost.com

Delaware becomes first state to fully ban child marriage

  Delaware becomes first state to fully ban child marriage Delaware has become the first state in the nation to completely ban marriage for anyone under 18. Democratic Gov. John Carney on Wednesday signed into law the measure that makes it illegal for minors to get married, even if their parents approve. Previously, anyone could get married in the state at any age with a judge's approval.Democratic Gov. John Carney on Wednesday signed into law the measure that makes it illegal for minors to get married, even if their parents approve. Previously, anyone could get married in the state at any age with a judge's approval.

a group of people posing for a picture © Inside Edition

Less than a year after a car plowed into anti-racist protestors in Charlottesville, Virginia, two people who survived the attack tied the knot while honoring their friend who was killed.

Marcus Martin pushed his then-fiancee, Marissa Blair, out of the way right before a white supremacist could hit her in a vehicle he intentionally drove into a crowd protesting the white nationalist Unite the Right rally last August. Martin broke his leg when the car hit him instead. A photo snapped in the moment shows Martin in midair after being hit. 

a group of people riding on the back of a car: Marcus Martin, seen in a white shirt, pushed his fiancee out of the way before a car targeting anti-racist protestors hit him instead. © Ryan M Kelly/The Daily Progress Marcus Martin, seen in a white shirt, pushed his fiancee out of the way before a car targeting anti-racist protestors hit him instead.

“He always said he would do any and everything to protect me and he proved it,” Blair told NBC29.

Ernest Medina, key figure in My Lai Massacre, dies at 81

  Ernest Medina, key figure in My Lai Massacre, dies at 81 Former Army Capt. Ernest L. Medina, a key figure in the My Lai Massacre during the Vietnam War, has died in Wisconsin. He was 81. Medina was an Army captain on March 16, 1968, when American troops under his command killed hundreds of unarmed Vietnamese civilians. He was acquitted in a court-martial over the massacre.Medina died May 8, according to an obituary written by his family. No cause of death was given. He was being buried Monday.Medina was captain of Charlie Company whose mission was to attack a crack Vietcong unit.

“I just had a reaction, not even a thought, just reacting,” Martin said of his quick thinking. “I can’t even explain it.”

Last Saturday, the two finally got married, with 30 vendors helping to pay for their ceremony. 

Their close friend, 32-year-old Heather Heyer, was killed in the attack. The ceremony was colored in purple, Heyer’s favorite. 

“Without Heather this wouldn’t be possible, and if Heather was still here, Heather would definitely be here on the front row,” Blair said.

Heyer’s mother, Susan Bro, attended the wedding and released butterflies in honor of her daughter.

“She’s watching over those that she loves, and that includes Marcus and Marissa,” Bro told NBC29.

The newlyweds first met at James Madison University in 2011.

In Cannes, Spike Lee lambasts Trump over Charlottesville

  In Cannes, Spike Lee lambasts Trump over Charlottesville In a passionate, expletive-ridden monologue at the Cannes Film Festival, Spike Lee has lambasted President Trump over his response to last year's violent white supremacist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia. Lee on Tuesday told reporters that following the violence in Charlottesville, Trump had the opportunity to denounce the Ku Klux Klan and the alt-right. But Trump instead said there was "blame on both sides" in the unrest between neo-Nazi groups and counter-protesters. The 61-year-old filmmaker said Trump — whom he refused to call by name — had "a chance to say we are about love and not hate," and sharply criticized him for not denouncing the KKK.

“I’m sure I had seen him in passing,” Blair told The New York Times. “His sister and I graduated high school the same year. But I remember one day I went over to somebody’s house, and he was there, and I thought he was so handsome. I went home and told my mother I met this gorgeous man.” 

This article originally appeared on 

HuffPost

.

He objects! Ronaldinho says he won’t marry two women at once .
Former Brazilian soccer star Ronaldinho Gaucho denied rumors that he plans to marry his two fiancees in a civil ceremony this August.Former Brazilian soccer star Ronaldinho Gaucho objected to rumors that he plans to marry his two fiancees in one civil ceremony this August.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!