•   
  •   
  •   

Offbeat Afghan villagers search for survivors after landslide destroys nearly 300 homes

12:05  12 july  2018
12:05  12 july  2018 Source:   reuters.com

Indonesia says at least 29 dead in ferry sinking, search goes on

  Indonesia says at least 29 dead in ferry sinking, search goes on At least 29 people died after a ferry sank near Indonesia's Sulawesi island, officials said on Wednesday, as rescue teams searched for dozens of missing passengers a day after the country's latest ferry disaster.Tuesday's sinking came a few weeks after an overcrowded ferry sank on Lake Toba, one of the world's deepest volcanic lakes, claiming more than 200 lives.

Along the base of this picturesque valley, where a massive chunk of earth cleaved from a neighboring mountain cascaded onto his and nearly 300 other homes on Residents of the Afghan village of Abi Barak searched for survivors of a landslide that killed hundreds of people as aid groups and the

Afghans search for survivors after a massive landslide landslide buried a village May 2 in northeastern Afghanistan . A hill collapsed on the village of Hobo Barik on Friday afternoon, burying nearly 300 homes — about a third of all houses in the area.

A landslide destroyed nearly 300 homes, killing at least 10 people, as it swept through an Afghan village where residents were using only basic digging tools to search for survivors, officials said.

Two helicopters with a rescue team and emergency aid flew to the northeastern province of Panjshir where disaster struck on Wednesday night, officials said.

Top priority was to save those trapped in the debris after the landslide hit Peshghor village in Khenj district, Omar Mohammadi, spokesman for the National Disaster Management Authority, said on Thursday.

Several regions of Afghanistan regularly suffer landslides when snow melts in the spring, but deforestation in some parts has increased their frequency.

President Ashraf Ghani, in Brussels for the NATO summit, ordered authorities to provide victims with necessary assistance, his office said in a statement.

(Reporting by Qadir Sediqi, Writing by Rupam Jain; Editing by Nick Macfie)

US not ready to negotiate directly with Taliban: NATO .
NATO's Afghanistan mission denied Monday reports that its commander has said America is ready to join direct talks with the Taliban. US General John Nicholson spoke with Afghan officials in Kandahar, where he reportedly said the US was "ready" to talk to the Taliban -- a shift from the long-held position of Kabul needing to lead any peace process.In a statement, Nicholson said his comments had been mischaracterized and that he was merely reaffirming remarks by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who in June said the US is prepared to "support, facilitate and participate" in eventual peace talks.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!