•   
  •   
  •   

Offbeat Containers of Hurricane Donations Found Rotting in Puerto Rico Parking Lot

03:40  11 august  2018
03:40  11 august  2018 Source:   nytimes.com

Finally, 11 months after Maria, power is restored in Puerto Rico -- except for 25 customers

  Finally, 11 months after Maria, power is restored in Puerto Rico -- except for 25 customers Nearly a year after Hurricane Maria wreaked havoc on Puerto Rico, officials there say power has been restored to most of the island's residents.Of the nearly 1.4 million customers who lost electric service after the storm, just 25 remain in the dark, the island's electric provider tweeted Monday.

The containers , collected from private donors by a group controlled by Puerto Rico ’s first lady, are sitting in a state parking lot , crumbling and infested with rats. It was not the first time food donated for Puerto Rico ’s hurricane victims has gone to waste.

Hurricanes are massive storms with deadly force. Find out how they form, and what's being done to better predict their impact.

People queue to buy gasoline after the area was hit by Hurricane Maria in Caguas, Puerto Rico on September 22, 2017. © Carlos Garcia Rawlins/Reuters People queue to buy gasoline after the area was hit by Hurricane Maria in Caguas, Puerto Rico on September 22, 2017.

SAN JUAN, P.R. — At least 10 trailers full of food, water and baby supplies donated for victims of Hurricane Maria were left to rot at a state elections office in Puerto Rico, where they broke open and became infested by rats.

Radio Isla, a local radio station, posted a video Friday showing cases of beans, water, Tylenol and other goods covered in rat and lizard droppings.

The Puerto Rico elections commission offices had been used as a collection center for goods donated from around the country for victims of the devastating hurricane that struck the island last year. For weeks, hurricane survivors lacked running water and electricity. Widespread power failures and a severe diesel shortage kept stores, restaurants and banks closed, making it difficult for people to purchase groceries.

Puerto Rico bankruptcy judge upholds oversight board powers over government

  Puerto Rico bankruptcy judge upholds oversight board powers over government A U.S. judge ruled on Tuesday that Puerto Rico's federal oversight board has the power to enforce fiscal discipline on the bankrupt island's government through the budgetary process, but lacks authority to demand changes in law.Governor Ricardo Rossello and Puerto Rico's legislature filed lawsuits in July claiming the board, which was created by the U.S. Congress under the so-called PROMESA Act in 2016, overstepped its power by imposing a belt-tightening fiscal plan and budget on the government that require public policy actions.

Officials warn that Guajataca Dam, in the island’s north-west, has caused flash floods downstream: ‘This is an extremely dangerous situation’.

Hurricane Maria makes landfall just south of Yabucoa Harbor in Puerto Rico at 6:15 a.m. “That’s fine. We saved a lot of lives.” He also compares Maria favorably to Hurricane Katrina. Hurricane Maria killed 34 people in Puerto Rico , he says.

Records show that an additional 1,427 people died in the months after the storm, compared to previous years.

Sign Up for the Morning Briefing Newsletter

The goods donated by private entities and nonprofit groups were collected at the elections commission offices, and then distributed by the National Guard. Once the crisis subsided, goods were moved to trailers in the parking lot of the election bureau’s San Juan offices but apparently not delivered, despite continuing problems on the island. Authorities on Friday acknowledged that they have been there for nearly a year.

“I agree, it should have been handed out as soon as possible,” said Maj. Paul Dahlen, a spokesman for the National Guard.

He said some of the materials arrived after the National Guard ended its mission in May. He could not explain why no other agency distributed the materials after that.

Puerto Rico sends costlier reconstruction plan to U.S. Congress

  Puerto Rico sends costlier reconstruction plan to U.S. Congress Puerto Rico submitted a recovery plan to the U.S. Congress on Wednesday that carries an estimated price tag of $139 billion, which is 47 percent more than the bankrupt U.S. commonwealth requested in November. The economic and disaster recovery plan allocates the money to housing, water and energy systems, education, transportation, public buildings, communications, planning, municipalities, as well as to the economy and environment, according to Governor Ricardo Rossello's office.

Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what's happening in the world as it unfolds. At least 10,000 containers of supplies -- including food, water and medicine -- were sitting Thursday at the San Juan port, said Jose Ayala, the Crowley shipping company's vice president in Puerto Rico .

Mr. Andrés (center), his nonprofit World Central Kitchen and local chefs (joined under the name #chefsforpuertorico) spent a month cooking stews and paella in the parking lot of the largest stadium in Puerto Rico to feed people after Hurricane Maria.CreditEric Rojas for The New York Times.

But the head of the elections commission said that he has been calling the governor’s office and the National Guard regularly inquiring about plans to distribute the material, to no avail.

“Whatever was left after the National Guard left was put in those containers,” Nicolás Gautier, interim president of the elections council, told CBS News. “In one of these containers was food for dogs and apparently several of the boxes were broken. After the placement in the van, that brings a lot of rats and it infected everything.”

Mr. Gautier said the rats had moved from the trailers into the elections commission offices.

A spokeswoman for the elections commission said the offices were being used as a storage point at the request of Puerto Rico’s first lady, Beatriz Rosselló, who founded a group that served as an umbrella for donations, United for Puerto Rico. The spokeswoman said the donated material was being managed by the National Guard.

Puerto Rico admits hurricane death toll 20 times higher than it first claimed

  Puerto Rico admits hurricane death toll 20 times higher than it first claimed The Puerto Rican government acknowledged in a new report on the aftermath of Hurricane Maria that more than 1,400 people likely died on the island because of the storm, roughly 20 times the previous number that had been provided. The government on Thursday published a report titled "Transformation and Innovation in the Wake of Devastation," which outlines the island's response to the storm and what it intends to do to strengthen its economy and infrastructure moving forward. It also includes new estimates on the death toll.

Find useful resources that will help you donate to the victims of the recent hurricanes in Puerto Rico . UNICEF: "UNICEF USA is mobilizing to get immediate, critical support to the children of Puerto Rico affected by Hurricane Maria," according to its website, and it needs donations to do so.

“There’s a lot of tension, it’s hard to find water and food right now and we still don’t have any Jeffrey Buchanan was expected to arrive in Puerto Rico Thursday evening to help with hurricane relief “Overall in the ports of Puerto Rico there are over 9,500 containers ” full of necessary supplies, Jose

United for Puerto Rico said it had no knowledge of the containers and had nothing to do with them. In a statement, the National Guard said the container captured on video was being used to hold food that had arrived after its expiration date, and had not been held back from distribution in order to protect peoples’ health. However, the video also showed cases of water, which was also in short supply at times after the storm.

The Guard said that the material in the trailers that isn’t spoiled, including batteries, electric fans and food, will be distributed to nonprofit groups in the coming days. It did not explain why the material had not been handed out earlier.

The New York Times viewed the containers on Friday, two days after Radio Isla shot the video, but by then, they had been padlocked.

“The containers have been there for a long time, but they weren’t necessarily filled at all times,” Major Dahlen said. “The good thing is now that thanks to investigative journalism, it will help move along the process and get it where it needs to go in the coming days.”

It is unclear how many trailers had been at the site throughout the year. On Wednesday, the radio station saw nine trailers, plus a 10th that was being removed by the Department of Corrections.

It was not the first time food donated for Puerto Rico’s hurricane victims has gone to waste. Tons of supplies collected and sent by a South Florida man went bad when it turned out that he had paid the charter flight companies with fake checks. The airlines put a lien on the materials, which got soaked and ruined in the damaged airport.

On Thursday the man who organized the drive, Emilio I. Vazquez, 47, of Coral Gables, Fla., was ordered to pay $1.5 million restitution and sentenced to 120 months in prison.

It took 11 months to restore power to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. A similar crisis could happen again. .
1.5 million customers lost electricity across Puerto Rico, causing the largest blackout in US history. The government of Puerto Rico says it has restored power to the last neighborhood that lost electricity after Hurricane Maria — 328 days after the Category 4 storm hit the island. On Tuesday, the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) announced that it had finally reconnected all 1.5 million customers to the power grid, ending the largest blackout in US history and the second-largest blackout in the world. (Though some customers say the electricity is hardly reliable.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!