•   
  •   
  •   

OffbeatSalvadoran national accused in L.A., Santa Monica homeless slayings charged with additional attacks

22:40  08 november  2018
22:40  08 november  2018 Source:   latimes.com

Uber driver arrested after police say he tried to kidnap Santa Monica passengers

Uber driver arrested after police say he tried to kidnap Santa Monica passengers An Uber driver who police said threatened to kidnap several passengers after picking them up for rides in Santa Monica on Halloween night was arrested after a pursuit, authorities said. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); Khaled Elasyedsa Ali, 35, of Anaheim is being held on suspicion of kidnapping and evading police after threatening to or attempting to kidnap at least six people Wednesday evening, Santa Monica police said. Police began searching for Ali shortly before 7 p.m.

Salvadoran national accused in L.A., Santa Monica homeless slayings charged with additional attacks© Texas Department of Public Safety, Los Angeles Police Department

A Salvadoran national suspected of killing at least four men during a spate of savage attacks on Los Angeles County’s vulnerable homeless community earlier this year was charged with four additional counts of attempted murder, a prosecutor said after a court hearing on Thursday.

Ramon Escobar, 47, was arrested in late September and charged in a weeks-long series of assaults that left a number of homeless men beaten to death or comatose in downtown Los Angeles and Santa Monica. The attacks left four dead and several others critically injured, police said.

Oklahoma zookeeper accused of killing 5 tigers, selling cubs

Oklahoma zookeeper accused of killing 5 tigers, selling cubs A former Oklahoma zookeeper and candidate for governor already accused in a murder-for-hire plot has been indicted on 19 new counts accusing him of killing tigers and selling tiger cubs. A federal grand jury unsealed the charges Wednesday against 55-year-old Joseph Maldonado-Passage, who's known as "Joe Exotic" and formerly operated a zoo in Wynnewood, Oklahoma. Maldonado-Passage ran unsuccessfully for Oklahoma governor this year. Maldonado-Passage was indicted in September for allegedly trying to hire someone to kill the operator of a Florida-based animal sanctuary. He's pleaded not guilty.

The four additional attempted murders occurred during the same stretch of September when Escobar is accused of committing the other attacks.

In an amended complaint filed by prosecutors on Thursday, Escobar was charged with attempted murder and robbery in a Sept. 11 attack on Albert Scott in the 4700 block of West Slauson Avenue in Windsor Hills.

Another new attempted murder charge stemmed from an attack on Sept. 15 at the edge of MacArthur Park. The victim, Michelle Matice, was severely injured, as was Scott. Matice may have been a transient, but Scott was not homeless, said Los Angeles County Deputy Dist. Atty. Victor Avila.

On Sept. 19, four days after Matice was attacked, Escobar allegedly assaulted Kyla Renard and David Dotson in Griffith Park, leaving them severely injured, Avila said. Escobar was also charged with robbing Renard. Avila said he was not sure whether the two victims were homeless.

Not guilty pleas by inmates charged in prison knife attacks

Not guilty pleas by inmates charged in prison knife attacks Two prison inmates charged in separate knife attacks at an Ohio prison that left a guard severely wounded and injured four prisoners have entered not guilty pleas. Authorities say the four prisoners couldn't defend themselves during a June 2017 attack because they were handcuffed to a table. The injured guard, Matthew Matthias, received 32 stab wounds and numerous internal injuries in an attack this past February. He was hospitalized for weeks and hasn't yet returned to work.

Prosecutors also upgraded a previous attempted murder charge against Escobar to murder. The victim, 63-year-old Jorge Martinez, was attacked on the morning of Sept. 24 in Santa Monica and died six days later.

Escobar was arrested near the scene of the attack on Martinez. In a downtown courtroom early Thursday morning, Escobar appeared in handcuffs and blue jail scrubs, sporting a thick salt-and-pepper beard. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Escobar last lived in the Houston area, but police say he fled to Southern California after his aunt and uncle, Dina and Rogelio Escobar, disappeared in late August. The charred remains of Dina Escobar’s car were found on a beach in Galveston, Texas, in early September, and Houston Police have said they believe they were victims of foul play.

Investigators believe Escobar arrived in Santa Monica on Sept. 5, living out of his car for the next three weeks as he allegedly launched a series of attacks on men who appeared to be sleeping outside.

Police: Armed man believed to be homeless, living near store

Police: Armed man believed to be homeless, living near store Police in New Hampshire say an armed man at a Walmart parking lot ran off into nearby woods where he was living and fired at police helicopters overnight before he was surrounded and arrested.

In each case, Escobar is accused of attacking his victims from behind while wielding either a baseball bat or a pair of bolt cutters, prosecutors said. His first two alleged victims were sleeping near the beach in Santa Monica on Sept. 8 and Sept. 10. One of them remains comatose, according to Lt. Saul Rodriguez, a Santa Monica police spokesman. It was not immediately clear if the man was expected to recover.

Six days later, Escobar is accused of using a bat to pummel three men as they slept in downtown Los Angeles’ Financial District before robbing them. Kelvin Williams, 59, and Braden Ridout, 34, died of the injuries they suffered on Sept. 16. Another man sleeping nearby, 23-year-old Tievon Harmon, 23, was critically injured, police said.

Who Is Michael Gargiulo? New Details On The Serial Killer Charged With The 2001 Murder Of Ashton Kutcher's Girlfriend

Who Is Michael Gargiulo? New Details On The Serial Killer Charged With The 2001 Murder Of Ashton Kutcher's Girlfriend Who is Michael Gargiulo? The accused serial killer has been charged with the murder of no fewer than three women, including 22-year-old Ashley Ellerin, who was romantically linked to a young Ashton Kutcher at the time of her death in 2001. Gargiulo,

On Sept. 20, authorities said, Escobar returned to the Santa Monica area, where he is alleged to have beaten 39-year-old San Gabriel resident Steven Ray Cruze Jr. to death as he slept under the Santa Monica Pier after an overnight fishing trip. Escobar is also accused of using a pair of bolt cutters to seriously injure a man near Sawtelle and Venice boulevards on Sept. 22, police have said.

White supremacy group members indicted on charges of inciting violence at political rallies

White supremacy group members indicted on charges of inciting violence at political rallies Four members of a white supremacy group have been indicted by a federal grand jury in California on charges of inciting violence at political rallies in the state last year. 

Despite fears that someone was specifically trying to hurt members of the area’s sprawling homeless population, investigators believe Escobar was targeting people who appeared to be isolated so he could rob them.

Shortly after his capture, Escobar’s immigration status became a topic of debate when U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement revealed that he had been deported from the U.S. six times from 1997 to 2011.

Escobar was arrested several times on suspicion of assault between 1992 and 2018, according to a review of state and federal court records, which showed he was most often detained on suspicion of illegally entering the U.S.

At the time of the Southern California attacks, however, Escobar had a legal right to be in the country. Records show he was granted an appeal of his deportation order in December 2016 and released from federal custody in January of last year, according to ICE.

An ICE spokeswoman could not say why Escobar’s appeal was granted. Earlier this year, the LAPD said Escobar had been allowed to re-enter the U.S. on an asylum claim, but court records relating to asylum claims are not generally open to the public.

The Times has filed a Freedom of Information Act request with regard to Escobar’s case, but the Executive Office ror Immigration Review has yet to respond.

[email protected]

Follow @JamesQueallyLAT for crime and police news in California.

U.S. designates son of Hezbollah leader a terrorist.
U.S. designates son of Hezbollah leader a terrorist

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!