•   
  •   
  •   

Politics Pence: White House could have better handled Porter situation

20:45  14 february  2018
20:45  14 february  2018 Source:   thehill.com

White House scrambles to contain Porter fallout

  White House scrambles to contain Porter fallout Rob Porter will be out as early as Thursday, a senior White House official said Wednesday night, in another signal the West Wing is scrambling to contain the fallout over his continued employment even though officials were aware of the domestic abuse allegations against him. Porter, a top White House staffer, resigned from his position Wednesday after allegations of domestic abuse were made public by his two ex-wives. Porter has denied their allegations.A top aide to White House chief of staff John Kelly, Porter was initially defended by glowing White House statements in spite of his resignation.

Pence said that the Trump administration has “no tolerance for domestic violence,” but added that “the White House could have handled this better .” Kelly has said he would not have handled the Porter situation any differently.

Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that the White House could have handled the Rob Porter situation better , doubling down on comments he made last week about the ex- White House staff secretary who resigned over domestic abuse allegations.

a man wearing a suit and tie © Provided by The Hill

Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday said the White House could have done a better job handling the Rob Porter domestic-abuse allegations.

Pence said that the Trump administration has "no tolerance for domestic violence," but added that "the White House could have handled this better."

The vice president's remarks come as the saga surrounding Porter shows no signs of ending, and after House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) announced his panel would begin an investigation.

The White House itself has said it could have handled the situation better, though President Trump has offered no public remarks suggesting he agrees with that sentiment.

Biden on Trump aide Rob Porter: 'It's long past due that he left'

  Biden on Trump aide Rob Porter: 'It's long past due that he left' Joe Biden criticized the White House Thursday for allowing a top aide to President Donald Trump to stay on despite his alleged history of domestic abuse. That aide, White House staff secretary Rob Porter, resigned Wednesday after the allegations became public."I can't explain it. It's long past due that he left," Biden told NBC News' Andrea Mitchell when asked about Porter's access to the president, as well as White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.

Vice President Mike Pence admitted that the White House ’s handling of the Rob Porter situation could have gone better , during a Wednesday interview with Axios. Pence reiterated that the Trump administration does not tolerate domestic violence

Vice President Mike Pence conceded in a Wednesday interview that the White House could have handled the situation with White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter and allegations of domestic abuse against him “ better .”

Porter resigned as staff secretary last week after two of his ex-wives publicly accused him of domestic abuse. The FBI had completed a background check investigation in July, but Porter remained working at the White House until last week.

The White House has offered different explanations for how Porter remained at the White House, and chief of staff John Kelly has come under heavy criticism - including from prominent supporters of President Trump.

Pence offered a note of confidence for Kelly.

"John Kelly has done a remarkable job as chief of staff for the president of the United States and I look forward to working with him for many, many months to come," Pence said at an event sponsored by Axios.

The vice president said he would offer more advice on the matter privately to Trump.

Pence, however, dodged when asked if Kelly has been completely honest in explaining how the White House handled the allegations against Porter.

"There are very few Americans or American families that have served this country more honorably nor sacrificed more than the family of John Kelly," he said.

Kelly has said he would not have handled the Porter situation any differently.

"It was all done right," he told The Wall Street Journal on Monday.

FBI had photos showing Porter’s alleged abuse in early 2017: report .
<p>The FBI had photos showing former White House staff secretary Rob Porter's alleged domestic abuse toward his ex-wife in early 2017, CNN reports, raising questions about what information senior aides such as counsel Don McGahn had access to regarding Porter.</p>The bureau obtained the photos of Porter's first wife Colbie Holderness with a black eye just seven days after President Trump's inauguration, according to CNN. Holderness provided the photos as part of Porter's background check to obtain a security clearance.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!