Politics: White House knew of Shanahan domestic incident for months, officials say - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

PoliticsWhite House knew of Shanahan domestic incident for months, officials say

00:30  19 june  2019
00:30  19 june  2019 Source:   cbsnews.com

Trump to announce US troop increase in Poland

Trump to announce US troop increase in Poland President Trump on Wednesday plans to announce an increased U.S. troop presence in Poland, administration officials indicated. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); The "significant announcement," to be made during a meeting between Trump and Polish President Andrzej Duda at the White House, will be about the "new facet of our military-to-military relationship" between Washington and Warsaw, officials told reporters during a Tuesday background briefing. "This meeting . . .

Shanahan then openly lobbied for months to get the secretary job permanently, before Still, many lawmakers will probably be willing to believe that Shanahan didn’t know of the plans for the destroyer, said Regardless of what Shanahan knew about the McCain, high-ranking retired officers and

Two officials familiar with the matter said that Trump was prepared to back his nominee, but Shanahan told the president he The meeting took place just before Trump announced Shanahan 's departure. Neither the White House nor the Pentagon has said when Shanahan plans to leave his

White House knew of Shanahan domestic incident for months, officials say© 2019 Getty Images WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 02: Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan (2nd R) attends a Cabinet meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House January 02, 2019 in Washington, DC. A partial federal government shutdown entered its 12th day as Trump and House Democrats are at an impasse over funding for border security, including the president’s demand for $5 billion for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) The White House knew about a violent domestic dispute between members of outgoing Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan's family that derailed his expected nomination to become the permanent secretary, according to two administration officials familiar with the matter.

FBI examining 2010 domestic fight involving acting defense secretary Shanahan; accounts differ on aggressor

FBI examining 2010 domestic fight involving acting defense secretary Shanahan; accounts differ on aggressor Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan and his then-wife each told police they had been hit by the other. He denies striking her.

Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan and his then -wife each told police they had been hit by the other. WASHINGTON — The FBI has been examining a violent domestic dispute from nine years ago between acting Defense Secretary Patrick M. Shanahan and his then -wife as part of a

Our first president, George Washington, selected the site for the White House in 1791. Every president since John Adams has occupied the White House , and the history of this building extends far beyond the construction of its walls.

Shanahan withdrew from consideration for the top Pentagon post on Tuesday, as reports emerged about two confrontations dating back to 2010 and 2011. In the 2010 incident, Shanahan and his then-wife, Kimberly Jordinson, each claimed to have been punched by the other, according to divorce records. Shanahan denied hitting Jordinson and she was arrested, but the case was later dropped.

In 2011, the couple's son, William Shanahan, brutally beat his mother with a baseball bat, leaving her unconscious and fracturing her skull, records show. The incident was first reported by The Washington Post on Tuesday, shortly after Mr. Trump announced Shanahan was withdrawing from consideration. Shanahan wrote a memo defending his son shortly after the 2011 incident, but told The Post he did so without full knowledge of his then-wife's injuries.

Acting defense secretary bows out of running to be confirmed as Pentagon chief

Acting defense secretary bows out of running to be confirmed as Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan served for six months as acting defense secretary.

A White House official referred questions about the status of Shanahan ’s background check to the FBI, which declined to comment. Shanahan ’s stalled confirmation has also prompted rumors Trump may be having second thoughts about tapping him to lead the Defense Department.

The White House is the official residence and workplace of the president of the United States. It is located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington

One senior administration official told CBS News the White House was aware of the incident involving Shanahan's son, but didn't know about the 2010 confrontation. Another official said the White House knew about the 2011 incident dating back to when Bill Shine was White House communications director. Shine resigned in March of this year.

The White House had not formally nominated Shanahan to become permanent defense secretary, but plans to do so were on track "even of this morning," an administration official told CBS News. After reports by Yahoo News and USA Today revealed some of the details of Shanahan's contentious divorce and the 2010 allegations, he went to the White House on Tuesday and informed acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney he was withdrawing his name, the official said. He then met with President Trump in the Oval Office and told him he was withdrawing.

Democrats and some Republicans question Trump’s vetting process after Shanahan withdrawal

Democrats and some Republicans question Trump’s vetting process after Shanahan withdrawal Senators wonder why they weren’t told sooner about the domestic abuse allegations involving Shanahan, but they are divided over whether to investigate the matter further.

Shanahan was the longest official in history to serve as secretary of defense in only an acting capacity, according to Pentagon records. Trump’s announcement of Shanahan ’s decision came shortly after USA Today reported that the FBI had been examining a nine-year-old domestic dispute involving

Shanahan spoke prior to meeting with Portuguese Defense Minister Joao Titternigton Gomes Cravinho at the Pentagon. He said DOD is supporting efforts by Secretary of State Mike The incidents in the Gulf of Oman involve Norwegian and Japanese ships, and Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said Mr. Trump called him Tuesday morning to inform him of Shanahan's decision.

After Shanahan withdrew from consideration, lawmakers immediately began raising questions about what the White House knew and when.

Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, who serves on the Senate Armed Services Committee, told reporters the committee was not informed of Shanahan's domestic history when he was nominated and confirmed as deputy secretary in 2017. He said failure to disclose the incidents was "possibly a deliberate concealment" and called for an investigation by the Pentagon's inspector general. Blumenthal also said Shanahan may have violated the law if he failed to disclose the incidents to the White House or during his FBI background check.

"I want to know whether it's the FBI, or some deliberate concealment by Shanahan," Blumenthal said.

In a statement Tuesday, Shanahan said he was withdrawing because "a painful and deeply personal family situation from long ago is being dredged up and painted in an incomplete and therefore misleading way in the course of this process."

Clare Hymes, Robert Legare and Nancy Cordes contributed reporting.

Stockton Fire Chief out on bail after arrest for domestic violence.
Stockton Fire Chief Erik Newman is out on bail following an arrest Thursday over an alleged domestic violence incident, according to officials with the Turlock Police Department. The 52-year-old was wanted on one felony count of "corporal injury to a spouse or cohabitant," according to the Turlock Police Department. He was booked into the Stanislaus County Jail on $50,000 bail. The arrest stems from an alleged incident that happened June 14 in the 4600 block of Visions Drive in Turlock, according to Turlock Police. No other details of the alleged incident were released.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!