PoliticsTrump expected to end his fight to add citizenship question to census, sources say
Trump Administration Drops Bid To Put Citizenship Question On 2020 Census
There will not be a question asking about citizenship on the 2020 census, the Trump administration said Tuesday. The decision comes days after the Supreme Court temporarily blocked the administration from adding the question, saying it did not provide an adequate explanation for the addition. Here’s the email from DOJ pic.twitter.com/PdyfK0a1hJ — Daniel Jacobson (@Dan_F_Jacobson) July 2, 2019 This is a developing story. Check back for details. This article originally appeared on HuffPost.
Presidentis expected to announce later Thursday he is backing down from his effort to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and will instead take executive action that instructs the Commerce Department to survey the American public on the question through other means, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter.
The expected announcement will bring to a close weeks of escalating confusion within the government over his demands that the controversial question be included despite a Supreme Court order that had blocked the move. The White House declined to comment about what exactly the president plans to announce.
Poll: Two-Thirds of Voters Say Citizenship Question Should Be Allowed on Census
Two-thirds of voters support allowing the U.S. census to include a question about an individual's citizenship status, according to a new poll.
As recently as Thursday morning, administration officials had been repeatedly suggesting the president would take executive action calling for the question be added to the census. It was not immediately clear when and why the final decision was made not to move forward with that plan.
Attorney General William Barr, who is also expected to attend the announcement, will now have to determine a path forward for three separate ongoing court cases the administration is fighting in Maryland, California and New York over the administration's efforts to add the question to the census.
The Department of Justice declined to comment to ABC News.
Judge signs order permanently blocking citizenship question from 2020 census.
A federal judge in New York on Tuesday signed an order permanently blocking the Trump administration from adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census, days after President Trump gave up on his efforts to get such a question on next year's census.The order, signed by Judge Jesse Furman, was jointly drafted by the parties opposing the citizenship question.It stops administration officials "from including a citizenship question on the 2020 decennial census questionnaire; from delaying the process of printing the 2020 decennial census questionnaire after June 30, 2019 for the purpose of including a citizenship question; and from asking persons about citizenship sta
Spicer thinks White House can prevail on census citizenship question
Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer says a citizenship question on the 2020 census is a common sense idea supported by the majority of ...
AG Barr sees path to legally add citizenship question to census
Census clash continues; reaction from former deputy assistant attorney general John Yoo and national security attorney Bradley Moss.