Politics: Feds end investigation into Trump Org and hush money payments - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

PoliticsFeds end investigation into Trump Org and hush money payments

22:15  17 july  2019
22:15  17 july  2019 Source:   cnn.com

Trump wins dismissal of emoluments court case that challenged payments to his D.C. hotel by foreigners

Trump wins dismissal of emoluments court case that challenged payments to his D.C. hotel by foreigners President Donald Trump on Wednesday won the dismissal of a lawsuit against him by Maryland and the District of Columbia.

Feds end investigation into Trump Org and hush money payments© Spencer Platt/Getty Images North America/Getty Images NEW YORK, NY - AUGUST 14: Trump Tower stands along Fifth Avenue on August 14, 2017 in New York City. Security throughout the area is high as President Donald Trump is expected to arrive at his residence in the tower later today, his first visit back to his apartment since the inauguration. Numerous protests and extensive road closures are planned for the area. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Federal prosecutors in New York have ended their investigation into the Trump Organization's role in hush money payments made to women who alleged affairs with President Donald Trump and have been ordered by a judge to release additional information connected to their related probe of former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

Judge orders release of docs tied to Cohen's hush-money payments to Stormy Daniels

Judge orders release of docs tied to Cohen's hush-money payments to Stormy Daniels Judge William Pauley III told prosecutors to release the materials by 11 a.m. Thursday. Last August, Cohen admitted to making illegal payments to two women, identified as porn star Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal, at Trump's behest to silence them ahead of the 2016 election. Trump has denied the affairs.

CNN reported Friday that the Manhattan US Attorney's office had approached the end of its investigation of the Trump Organization and wasn't poised to charge any executives involved in the company's effort to reimburse Cohen for money he paid to silence one of the women. That payment constituted an illegal campaign contribution, according to prosecutors. Trump has denied the affair allegations.

"The campaign finance violations discussed in the Materials are a matter of national importance," US District Court Judge William Pauley wrote in his decision. "Now that the Government's investigation into those violations has concluded, it is time that every American has an opportunity to scrutinize the Materials."

Documents on Trump ex-lawyer's porn star hush payment released

Documents on Trump ex-lawyer's porn star hush payment released Hundreds of pages of documents regarding hush-money payments by Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen to a porn star and a Playboy model who said they had sexual encounters with the president were made public on Thursday, offering a window into a probe that began last year and landed Cohen in prison. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); U.S.

Pauley ordered a copy of the government's July status report and copies of search warrant materials from the Cohen case to be filed publicly with very limited redactions by Thursday at 11 a.m. ET.

The conclusion of federal prosecutors' investigation of the Trump company's role in the Cohen matter marks a significant victory for the President's family business, although it likely doesn't come as a complete surprise. There had been no contact between the Manhattan US Attorney's office and officials at the Trump Organization in more than five months, CNN reported Friday.

An attorney for the company declined to comment.

A lawyer for Trump, Jay Sekulow, said: "We are pleased that the investigation surrounding these ridiculous campaign finance allegations is now closed. We have maintained from the outset that the President never engaged in any campaign finance violation."

FBI believed Trump was closely involved in hush-money scheme, unsealed documents show

FBI believed Trump was closely involved in hush-money scheme, unsealed documents show The release of the previously redacted documents came one day after the judge in the case disclosed that prosecutors had concluded their probe into Cohen’s campaign finance crimes.

In April 2018, the FBI executed searches of Cohen's home, hotel room, safe deposit box, cell phones and email accounts. Portions of the search warrant material were made public earlier this year after the judge ordered them revealed in response to a request by media companies. But the judge allowed prosecutors to redact significant parts of the material because they related to the government's "ongoing investigation."

RELATED: Michael Cohen's life behind bars

The Trump Organization investigation was launched out of the Cohen case, in which he pleaded guilty to eight counts, including two counts of campaign-finance violations for orchestrating or making payments during the 2016 election to two women -- adult-film actress Stormy Daniels and ex-Playboy model Karen McDougal -- who alleged affairs with Trump. Cohen is now serving a three-year prison sentence.

After Cohen made the $130,000 payment to Daniels, he was reimbursed, prosecutors said in court filings, by the Trump Organization. The company's executives authorized payments to him totaling $420,000, in an effort to cover his original payment, tax liabilities and reward him with a bonus, according to prosecutors, and they falsely recorded those payments as legal expenses in their books.

The criminal inquiry centered on whether those payments, like the hush money Cohen gave to Daniels, violated campaign-finance law.

The judge on Wednesday said he would allow the government to keep the redaction of an uncharged third party when it files its status report and would permit the search warrant materials to be filed with redactions of the names of law-enforcement investigators and people who did business with Cohen in connection to taxi medallions he owned.

This story has been updated.

Schiff suggests Justice Department could reopen Trump hush-money probe once president is out of office.
The Intelligence Committee chairman said he assumes the case "will be reopened when he leaves office and the Justice Department will have to weigh whether to indict the former president." Schiff earlier said "it's been clear," based on comments from special counsel Robert Mueller, that the Department of Justice is bound by an Office of Legal Counsel memo that says a sitting president cannot be indicted. "From my point of view, if the evidence supports that, he should be indicted," Schiff added.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!