Politics Donald Trump's State of the Union guests include girl born prematurely, Army veteran, family of fallen soldier
Knightdale-based soldier killed during vehicle rollover in Syria
Knightdale-based soldier killed during vehicle rollover in SyriaSpecialist Antonio I. Moore, 22, of Wilmington, died on Jan. 24 in Deir ez Zor Province, Syria during a rollover accident while conducting route clearing operations, the DOD said. This was Moore's first deployment.
WASHINGTON – Like his predecessors, President Donald Trump plans to illustrate his State of the Union arguments Tuesday introducing up to a dozen guests sitting in the gallery.
"From brave military families to hardworking local leaders, this year’s guests come from many walks of life,"about State of the Union attendees who , health care, immigration and the military.
Trump to tout U.S. 'comeback' at State of the Union speech
President Donald Trump will use next week’s State of the Union to promote what he calls the “Great American comeback,” according to a senior administration official. The speech comes at a moment when Trump is hoping to put his Senate impeachment trial behind him. White House officials say Trump wants to use the nationally-televised address to highlight his administration’s efforts to bolster the economy, tighten immigration rules and lower prescription drug costs just as his reelection effort accelerate.
Trump plans to discuss these and other items in an address that takes place a day before the Senate is expected to acquit him in.
Aides said Trump plans to advocate new middle class tax cuts, proposals to lower drug costs, and tax credits to benefit parents who want to send their children to private school.
He is not expected to discuss impeachment, aides added.
"I don't think so," White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said during an interview on Fox & Friends. "I think that this has gone on for too long and I think that if you look at the ratings, the American people are, frankly, bored of it."
Appeal of man who shot Army recruiters in Arkansas rejected
The Arkansas Supreme Court has rejected the appeal of a man who fatally shot a U.S. Army soldier and wounded another outside a recruiting station in Little Rock. © Provided by Associated Press This undated photo provided by the Arkansas Department of Correction shows Abdulhakim Muhammad. The Arkansas Supreme Court has rejected the appeal of Muhammad, who fatally shot a U.S. Army soldier and wounded another outside a recr (Arkansas Department of Correction via AP) The ruling dated Thursday and first reported by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette said Abdulhakim Muhammad's appeal is without merit.
Trump's speech, which he is calling "The Great American Comeback," will take place before a joint session of Congress at 9 p.m. EST and offers Trump a high-profile platform to argue for his reelection.
The speech also comes a day after problems with the Iowa caucus left the outcome of the first contest in the Democratic nominating contest uncertain. Trump's campaign blasted the Iowa Democratic Party over
The traditional of introducing State of the Union guests began in 1982 when President Ronald Reagan invited a government employee named Lenny Skutnik to the event after he had saved a woman from drowning after a plane crashed into the Potomac River.
Trump's guests this year include:
– Kelli Hake and her 1-year-old son Gage from Stillwater, Oklahoma. The White House said Hake's husband, Army Staff Sergeant Christopher Hake, was killed in Iraq by a roadside supplied by Qasem Soleimani – the Iranian leader killed by a U.S. drone strike last month.
Third House Democrat announces plans to boycott State of the Union
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) announced plans on Monday to boycott President Trump's Tuesday State of the Union address. Blumenauer also skipped Trump's previous State of the Union addresses. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), who also skipped Trump's previous State of the Union addresses, said that he will not be attending the speech on Tuesday.
– Jody Jones from Farmersville, California, whose brother Rocky was killed in 2018 by a migrant in the country illegally, the White House said.
– Paul Morrow from Montgomery, Alabama. An Army veteran, Morrow started a successful contracting business and is currently building a new concrete plant under the administration's "Opportunity Zone" program that offers tax incentives to invest in distressed areas, the White House said.
– Robin and Ellie Schneider from Kansas City, Missouri. The White House said that "Ellie was born at just 21 weeks and six days. She is one of the youngest babies to survive in the United States."
– Ivan Simonovis from Caracas, Venezuela. The former Chief of Police in Venezuela’s capital city, Simonovis was held prisoner for nearly 15 years by the country's socialist regimes, the White House said.
– Stephanie and Janiyah Davis from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, who are associated with Trump's "school choice" proposal to offer tax credits to people who make contributions to private school scholarship programs. The White House said Stephanie Davis is a single-mother who wanted to send her fourth-grade daughter Janiya, to a "school that best serves her needs" rather than the "low performing schools" to which she has been assigned.
Last week, the administration announced two other guests: Raul Ortiz, a member of the Border Patrol recently promoted to deputy chief, and Tony Rankins, an Army veteran and recovering addict who found work doing construction as part of the administration's "Opportunity Zone" program.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:
Military family has heartwarming reunion during State of the Union address .
Sgt. 1st Class Townsend Williams had a surprise reunion with his wife and two children in the House chamber after being on deployment for seven months in Afghanistan.President Trump drew attention to the sacrifices made by Amy Williams and her daughter Elliana, 6, and son Rowan, 3, before letting them know they had a special visitor.
State of the Union 2019 and Democratic response in full
President Trump is delivering his second State of the Union address before a joint session of Congress Tuesday night (a president's first address to Congress is ...
U.S. Senate: Impeachment Trial (Day 7)
The Senate impeachment trial of President Trump continues with opening arguments by the President's defense team.