•   
  •   
  •   

Politics Trump issues order to bring former troops back to active duty to assist in coronavirus response

08:41  28 march  2020
08:41  28 march  2020 Source:   washingtonpost.com

California governor issues statewide 'stay at home' order over coronavirus

  California governor issues statewide 'stay at home' order over coronavirus California's governor on Thursday issued a statewide "stay at home order" directing residents to leave their homes only when necessary during the coronavirus pandemic. © Reuters A general view of Hollywood Blvd during the global outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Los Angeles, California, U.S., March 18, 2020. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni Governor Gavin Newsom said that modeling has shown that 56 percent of California residents were expected to contract COVID-19 over the next eight weeks, requiring nearly 20,000 more hospital beds than the state could currently provide.

President Trump issued an order Friday night that permits the Pentagon to bring former U.S. troops and members of the National Guard and Reserve The Individual Ready Reserve comprises former active - duty and reserve service members, who are commonly considered out of the military and

MORE: Coronavirus government response updates: US, Trump says, not built to be 'shut down'. "We are on the brink of catastrophic consequences Trump signed an executive order last week invoking the Defense Production Act, a 1950 wartime law that requires private companies to prioritize product

President Trump issued an order Friday night that permits the Pentagon to bring former U.S. troops and members of the National Guard and Reserve back to active duty to augment forces already involved in the U.S. military’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, senior U.S. officials said.

Donald Trump wearing a suit and tie: President Trump speaks about the coronavirus at the White House on Friday. © Alex Brandon/AP President Trump speaks about the coronavirus at the White House on Friday.

Trump signed an executive order that allows Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper to order units and individual members “and certain Individual Ready Reserve” members, Chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Rath Hoffman said in a statement released just after midnight on Saturday morning. The Individual Ready Reserve comprises former active-duty and reserve service members, who are commonly considered out of the military and rarely recalled.

US troops remain at southern border despite waning migration, as coronavirus spreads elsewhere

  US troops remain at southern border despite waning migration, as coronavirus spreads elsewhere The United States is in a state of emergency, with thousands of active-duty military and National Guard troops deployed - and not because of the coronavirus. Under the "national emergency" President Donald Trump declared in February 2019, roughly 5,200 troops remain at the U.S. southern border to assist in detecting undocumented migrants, though apprehensions are at the lowest levels in years. While other National Guard and military units respond to the rapidly spreading virus, the troops at the border are authorized to stay there through Sept. 30, according to the Defense Department.

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that his administration was "starting the process" of having the US Army Corps of Engineers assist New York in its response to the coronavirus pandemic, an action sought by the state's governor Andrew Cuomo, but suggested that no final decision had been made.

President Donald Trump issued a federal order Friday to force auto giant General Motors to Trump invoked the rarely-used Defense Production Act to order GM to speed up its commitment to make Trump Authorizes DoD to Bring Reservists and Some Former Troops on Active Duty for COVID-19

Hoffman, who could not be reached for comment early Saturday, said that decisions about which people may be activated are still being reviewed. The statement did not address whether anyone will be involuntarily recalled.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

“Generally, these members will be persons in Headquarters units and persons with high demand medical capabilities whose call-up would not adversely affect their civilian communities,” Hoffman’s statement said.

News to stay informed. Advice to stay safe.
Click here for complete coronavirus coverage from Microsoft News

Before relying on any National Guard Reserve forces, Esper and the Department of Health and Human Services will consult with state officials, Hoffman added. Governors have control of their own National Guard forces in most cases.

Trump says more than 1 million Americans have been tested for coronavirus

  Trump says more than 1 million Americans have been tested for coronavirus President Donald Trump said on Monday that more than 1 million Americans had been tested for coronavirus and urged people to continue to follow social distancing measures through April to prevent the virus from spreading. © Reuters/TOM BRENNER U.S. President Trump leads the daily coronavirus response briefing at the White House in Washington "Every one of us has a role to play in winning this war. Every citizen, family, and business can make the difference in stopping the virus. This is our shared patriotic duty.

Trump uses Defense Production Act to order GM to produce ventilators after accusing car giant of price-gouging in its initial US death toll from coronavirus surged past 1,200 on Thursday. Pentagon said that 280 US It is not known if the Army plans to install retired troops back to active duty status.

The goal was to practice a US troop deployment to Europe, as well as fending off a potential large-scale aggression. The US military and top officials in NATO said that the maneuvers are not directed against any particular country. Still, the drills were criticized by Moscow, which called them provocative.

“As this is a dynamic situation, we do not currently have a projected number of expected activations, but the Department is now fully authorized to make activations as needed,” Hoffman said. “We will provide updates as they become available.”

The executive order, released by the White House, states that anyone recalled can remain on active duty for up to 24 months straight.

The Pentagon already has dispatched its two Navy hospital ships, the USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy, to New York and Los Angeles, respectively, and deployed Army hospital units to other locations. The hospital ships are heavily staffed with military reservists.

Earlier this week, the Army sent a message to some veterans who served in medical fields to ask whether they would be interested in serving in the coronavirus response. Service officials were interested in people who previously served in eight jobs: critical care officer, anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, critical care nurse, nurse practitioner, emergency-room nurse, respiratory specialist and medic.

“When the Nation called — you answered, and now, that call may come again,” wrote Lt. Gen. Thomas C. Seamands.

Coronavirus: Trump says he offered US aid to Iran and North Korea .
SANTE-CORONAVIRUS-TRUMP: Coronavirus: Trump says he offered US aid to Iran and North Korea © Reuters / YURI GRIPAS CORONAVIRUS: TRUMP SAYS TO HAVE OFFERED US AID TO IRAN AND NORTH KOREA WASHINGTON (Reuters) - US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he has declared to Iran, North Korea and countries other than the United States were ready to assist in the fight against the coronavirus.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 1
This is interesting!