•   
  •   
  •   

Politics Trump says US may put a 'very powerful hold' on funding to World Health Organization

01:55  08 april  2020
01:55  08 april  2020 Source:   foxnews.com

The World Health Organization shares its concerns regarding the evolution of Covid-19

 The World Health Organization shares its concerns regarding the evolution of Covid-19 This Wednesday, the leading members of the World Health Organization reacted to the number of victims of the coronavirus. Worried, the organization calls for the greatest vigilance and solidarity. © Supplied by Euronews For four months, the date of the appearance of the Covid-19 pandemic, the virus has spread at high speed across countries around the world.

President Donald Trump has threatened to withhold US funding from the World Health " We 're going to put a hold on money spent for WHO," he said during the briefing before rolling back the "They seem to be very China-centric. And we have to look into that so we 'll look into it we pay for a

President Trump said he would “ put a hold ” on funding for the World Health Organization , before saying , “I’m not saying I’m going to do it.” Trump at first announced he would be cutting off U . S . funding to the organization . But when pressed on whether it was the right time, given the current

Slideshow by photo services

Coronavirus failure by World Health Organization justifies Trump’s aid cutoff

  Coronavirus failure by World Health Organization justifies Trump’s aid cutoff President Trump called the World Health Organization on the carpet Tuesday for its mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic in the most effective way he could: by cutting off U.S. funds until he finds out exactly what went wrong at the United Nations organization in January and February. Trump said he will halt funding “while a review is conducted to assess the role of the WHO in mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.” U.S. taxpayers were scheduled to provide $893 million to the WHO in the current two-year funding period – far more than China, which provides $40 million per year.

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.

President Trump signaled Tuesday he may put a "very powerful hold” on funding to the World Health Organization as he lashed out at the United Nations specialized agency and accused it of “being very China-centric" amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Reiterating his complaints from a tweet earlier in the day, the president said that the WHO “has been wrong about a lot things.” While Trump didn’t elaborate on what he believes the organization is doing wrong, but he has in the past been critical of the WHO for contracting the travel ban from China and Europe.

U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the daily coronavirus task force briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque © Reuters U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the daily coronavirus task force briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

“They’ve been wrong about a lot of things,” Trump said during the daily press briefing of the White House coronavirus task force. “They seem very China centric.”

He added: “We’re going to put a hold on the money sent to the WHO.”

CORONAVIRUS IN THE US: STATE-BY-STATE BREAKDOWN

Trump, however, backtracked when questioned on that statement by members of media, saying he was “going to look into” cutting off funding to the WHO and denying his earlier statement.

WHO has increasingly been the focus of questions about its response to the coronavirus pandemic, including information it tweeted in January that quoted “preliminary” findings from Chinese authorities that downplayed the seriousness of the virus that has since turned into a pandemic, shutting down daily life around the globe.

COVID-19 Symptoms Survey
Help researchers at the Regenstrief Institute track the outbreak
Go to the survey

The United States is the single largest contributor to the WHO. The most recent invoice from the WHO to the United States, which is one of many countries that fund the organization, was for nearly $116 million per year. The United States also voluntarily gives between approximately $100 million and $400 million more per year to the WHO for specific projects -- contributions that totaled over $400 million in 2017, the most recent year for which figures are available.

That means the United States contributed over $500 million in total to the WHO that year, which is just under one-quarter of the organization's yearly budget. The WHO's total budget for 2016 and 2017 combined was over $4 billion.

“WHO receives vast amounts of money from us,” Trump added.

News to stay informed. Advice to stay safe.
Click here for complete coronavirus coverage from Microsoft News
                  

The president’s main gripe with WHO saying in late January that “travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation” of coronavirus cases and instead could have a “have a significant economic and social impact.”

CLICK FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

“In general, evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions,” the WHO reported, adding that such measures could “interrupt needed aid and technical support” and “disrupt businesses.”

The organization did note that a travel ban “may have a public health rationale at the beginning of the containment phase of an outbreak, as they may allow affected countries to implement sustained response measures, and non-affected countries to gain time to initiate and implement effective preparedness measures.”

But it countered that the measures should be “short in duration, proportionate to the public health risks, and be reconsidered regularly as the situation evolves.

Fox News’ Adam Shaw contributed to this report.

Coronavirus failure by World Health Organization justifies Trump’s aid cutoff .
President Trump called the World Health Organization on the carpet Tuesday for its mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic in the most effective way he could: by cutting off U.S. funds until he finds out exactly what went wrong at the United Nations organization in January and February. Trump said he will halt funding “while a review is conducted to assess the role of the WHO in mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.” U.S. taxpayers were scheduled to provide $893 million to the WHO in the current two-year funding period – far more than China, which provides $40 million per year.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 6
This is interesting!