•   
  •   
  •   

Politics Standoff over funding leaves 13,400 immigration workers facing furlough

15:17  06 july  2020
15:17  06 july  2020 Source:   cbsnews.com

Amid COVID-19, Trump administration keeps immigration courts open, putting judges, lawyers and immigrants at risk

  Amid COVID-19, Trump administration keeps immigration courts open, putting judges, lawyers and immigrants at risk A labor union representing the nation’s immigration judges filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration in part over the COVID-19 threat.The judges’ lawsuit is the latest signal of deep distrust between the professionals who work in the nation’s immigration courts and President Donald Trump’s administration. The lawsuit comes as the government moves to reopen immigration courts it had previously closed because of the pandemic.

In less than 30 days, the cash-strapped U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will start furloughing more than 13,400 employees — nearly 70% of its workforce — unless Congress authorizes emergency funding to avoid a scenario that would cripple the nation's legal immigration system.

a group of people standing in front of a building: Virus Outbreak Immigration Ceremony New York © Frank Franklin II / AP Virus Outbreak Immigration Ceremony New York

USCIS — which administers green card applications, work permits, asylum requests, naturalization ceremonies for would-be U.S. citizens and other immigration services — has been facing an unprecedented financial crisis, which it attributes to a drastic decrease in applications during the coronavirus pandemic that has deprived the fee-funded agency of its main source of revenue.

Coronavirus updates: Florida sets new record in deaths but confirmed cases down; Infectious Diseases Society backs Anthony Fauci

  Coronavirus updates: Florida sets new record in deaths but confirmed cases down; Infectious Diseases Society backs Anthony Fauci New York will deploy testing and contract tracing teams to Atlanta. Hawaii extended its quarantine. Oregon to limit group gatherings. Latest news.New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday in a joint conference with Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms that his state would send testing and contact tracing teams to the city.

Thousands of USCIS employees have already received notices of their looming furloughs, which would start on August 3. "If that happens, the agency would be left with a skeleton crew that will make it difficult to sustain our critical mission of administering our nation's lawful immigration system," Joseph Edlow, deputy director for policy at USCIS and the de facto head of the agency, said in a statement to CBS News.

USCIS, which is a division of the Department of Homeland Security, informed Congress of its financial woes in the middle of May, requesting $1.2 billion in emergency funding and promising to repay the funds by imposing a 10% surcharge on applications. However, in the ensuing weeks, a standoff has emerged between Congress and the Trump administration, leaving a cloud of uncertainty hanging over the USCIS workforce and the millions of immigrants who file petitions with the agency in any given year.

Immigration judges union suing Justice Dept. over policy restricting public speaking

  Immigration judges union suing Justice Dept. over policy restricting public speaking A union representing hundreds of immigration judges is preparing to sue the Department of Justice's (DOJ) Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) over a policy imposing restrictions on judges who wish to speak or write in their personal capacity on matters relevant to their work.The Knight First Amendment Institute, a legal group at Columbia University, is expected to file the suit on Wednesday in federal court on behalf of the National Association of Immigration Judges (NAIJ), a representative from the group said.

a group of people walking on a sidewalk: People take the oath of citizenship during a naturalization ceremony at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service's Field Office on Thursday, July 2, 2020, in New York. / Credit: Frank Franklin II / AP © Provided by CBS News People take the oath of citizenship during a naturalization ceremony at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service's Field Office on Thursday, July 2, 2020, in New York. / Credit: Frank Franklin II / AP

Democratic and Republican congressional officials said the administration has yet to file a formal budget request, frustrating the lawmakers responsible for authorizing the funds. "It's a moving target right now in terms of what specifically it is that we need to address in order to prevent these furloughs," Democratic Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard, the chair of the House Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, told CBS News.

"Everyone is in agreement and focusing on the fact that we're going to prevent those furloughs. But unfortunately, with OMB not taking any action at this time, it is very difficult to sit down and finalize what exactly is needed," Roybal-Allard added, referring to the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Julian Castro plans to get out the immigrant vote in 2020

  Julian Castro plans to get out the immigrant vote in 2020 While Julián Castro’s run for president may have ended earlier this year, his work as a key, multifaceted purveyor of progressive politics in the 2020 election has only started gaining steam. In his time on the primaries debate stage, Castro unapologetically centered conversations about immigration, policing, climate justice, and indigenous and transgender rights — issues […] The post Julian Castro plans to get out the immigrant vote in 2020 appeared first on Roll Call. Video: Trump pledges to preserve DACA, says U.S.

The Trump administration, however, says Congress has all it needs to bailout USCIS. "The Administration has formally requested the resources necessary to keep USCIS running," an OMB spokesperson told CBS News. "Our hope is that Congressional Democrats accept our proposal to keep the lights on in a responsible manner."

On June 19, Acting OMB Director Russell Vought sent letters to congressional appropriators expressing support for a "pay-it-forward deficit neutral approach" to grant USCIS emergency funds. The letters, however, did not specify an amount.

"The Trump White House is responsible for requesting supplemental funding, but all they have sent Congress is a one-page letter that provides virtually no information on the shortfall or proposed remedies," said Evan Hollander, a spokesperson for the House appropriations panel. "Despite this egregious lack of communication, House Democrats are closely tracking USCIS' financial difficulties and are prepared to discuss solutions as part of negotiations on the next phase of coronavirus response legislation. So far, Senate Republicans are unwilling to begin those talks."

Texas Rangers furlough 12% of their workforce

  Texas Rangers furlough 12% of their workforce Bad news for Rangers workers in an already bad time.Team co-chairman Ray Davis has released a statement about the Texas Rangers furlough in which he says that budget cuts and salary decreases have not been enough to offset losses resulting from the lack of ticket sales and minor league baseball, making the furloughs inevitable. He says that he “remains optimistic” that the furloughed employees will be brought back in the future.

A Republican Senate aide said House appropriators have not reached out about the USCIS emergency funds. The aide also said the White House has not made a formal request for the funds, noting that Vought's June 19 letter did not include a dollar figure.

Roybal-Allard said she and other lawmakers are also asking USCIS to identify the factors — in addition to fewer applications during the pandemic — that precipitated the agency's budget shortfall. Congress has yet to receive a response, she said. "COVID is definitely a factor, but I don't believe that it is the whole reason that we are in this situation. And that's exactly what we're trying to find out, so that it can be corrected and we don't end up in the same place next year," she said.

"A recipe for disaster"

In May, USCIS attributed the agency's potential bankruptcy to a "dramatic" drop in applications during the pandemic, predicting that it would see a 61% decline in petition receipts through the end of September. An agency spokesperson said receipts "have slightly improved" since, but noted that the $1.2 billion request to Congress remained "unchanged."

There is consensus among lawmakers, congressional staff, immigration experts and USCIS employees that the pandemic has had a large impact on the agency's operations and fee-funded model. USCIS had to postpone in-person interviews, fingerprint and photo appointments, naturalization ceremonies and other services because of the coronavirus. Though some have reopened in a limited capacity, virtually all offices were closed to the public in the spring. The agency has recently conducted smaller naturalization ceremonies, but tens of thousands of immigrants seeking to finalize their path to U.S. citizenship are still waiting to complete their postponed appointments.

NHL, NHLPA hoping to finalize CBA, return-to-play agreement Saturday?

  NHL, NHLPA hoping to finalize CBA, return-to-play agreement Saturday? The NHL and NHLPA are hoping that they will finalize a six-year CBA agreement Saturday along with a tentative agreement on Phase 3 and 4 protocols as well as a critical calendar.Assuming the new CBA is agreed upon, it would need to be ratified by the Board of Governors and the full membership of the NHLPA, where the players would get 72 hours, starting Monday.

However, there's disagreement over whether the coronavirus is the sole catalyst of USCIS' dire financial predicament. Lawmakers, experts, former USCIS officials and current employees believe the agency's fiscal crisis had been brewing well before the coronavirus became widespread in the U.S., fueled by the Trump administration's restrictive immigration policies and funding priorities.

USCIS publicly forecast a $1.26 billion deficit in November 2019, when it proposed fee hikes for a wide-range of its services.

A recent analysis by the non-partisan Migration Policy Institute shows that revenue from petition fees has declined in the past three consecutive fiscal years — a trend that ran parallel to dwindling petitions for programs the administration has limited or sought to dismantle entirely. In fiscal year 2019, USCIS brought in $13 million less in fee revenue than in 2018, which had already seen a $152 million drop in petition funds from the previous year.

Between fiscal years 2017 and 2019, USCIS has seen a significant drop in petitions for family-based green cards, naturalization, including from U.S. service members, and programs that protect certain immigrants from deportation, like Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, and the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival, or DACA.

The Trump administration has sought to end the TPS and DACA programs, but its efforts have been stymied by the courts. It has also taken unilateral action to restrict family-based immigration, including by imposing a broad wealth test for green cards that is expected to disproportionately affect low-income applicants. Citing the economic impact of the pandemic, President Trump has recently issued two sets of restrictions to limit immigrant and work visas.

Britain unveils fresh £30bn package to stimulate economy

  Britain unveils fresh £30bn package to stimulate economy The UK government on Wednesday unveiled a package worth £30 billion ($37 billion, 33 billion euros) to save jobs, help the young into work and kickstart the British economy ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic. Delivering a mini-budget to parliament, finance minister Rishi Sunak's announced measures including bonuses to companies retaining staff and taking on apprentices, investment in 'green' jobs and even allowing the whole country to enjoy discounted meals in restaurants. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.

"Over the last four years, the policies of this administration and the way that they ran things pushed the agency to the very edge of a cliff — and COVID was the finger on the back that sent it over," a USCIS employee who requested anonymity to speak freely told CBS News.

Another USCIS employee, who also requested anonymity and had received a furlough notice, agreed, noting the agency recently expanded its fraud detection and national security units. "To double the size of a directorate that doesn't actually perform the core function of our agency — which is to adjudicate requests for immigration benefits — is a recipe for financial disaster," the employee told CBS News.

USCIS pushed back on this criticism. "There is nothing in the budget or the analysis to suggest that there is any drop in our receipts that is outside historical norms based on any policy that has been implemented during this administration," a spokesman said. "In fact, the second quarter of fiscal year 2020 was better by $100M than fiscal year 2019 and far better ($200M) than it was in 2016, which should illustrate just how far receipts fell in late March forward due to COVID-19."

León Rodríguez, who led USCIS during President Barack Obama's second term, said the current situation could highlight the value of having some of the agency's offices, like those for processing asylum and refugee requests, transition from a fee-funded model, to one appropriated by Congress. "Because both asylum and refugee work are so bound up with U.S. foreign policy — and the humanitarian and national security strategic objectives of U.S. foreign policy — it makes sense for that to be a shared investment of all the American people," Rodríguez told CBS News.

Michael Knowles, an asylum officer and president of the union for USCIS employees in the Washington, D.C. area, said he doesn't think the American public has fully grasped the consequences of his agency's potential partial shutdown. "Millions of people will be affected, not just people who have yet to come to the U.S., but millions who are here. Millions of workers who depend on their work permits. Millions of lawful, tax paying residents who deserve to become citizens."

Knowles said he's still hopeful Congress and the administration may reach a compromise before August 3, noting that the two branches have frequently acted "at the last minute" during crises.

Does Blue Jays being over 60-man limit suggest more positive COVID-19 tests? .
Toronto originally announced a player pool with 58 names, so the addition of these four will put them over the limit. However, as Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi tweets, a team can exceed 60 players if exceptions need to be made due to positive COVID-19 tests. It’s likely, then, that the Jays either have had additional positives in the organization that will remove some players from the 60-man pool or that additional transactions are coming Thursday. Notably, the MLB.

usr: 0
This is interesting!