Politics Where Biden and Trump stand in the polls 1 day out from Election Day
Everything you need to know about election polls in 2020
Insider answers some of the most common polling-related questions of the 2020 election season.It's easy to get confused by political polls and surveys due to their intricacies, averages, and varying methodologies, so Business Insider answered some of the most common polling-related questions of the 2020 election:
- Former Vice President Joe Biden is leading President Donald Trump in the national polls on election eve.
- The candidates are neck-and-neck in the polls in crucial battleground states like Texas and Ohio.
- Biden has solid leads over Trump in key states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
It's election eve in the US and former Vice President Joe Biden is leading President Donald Trump in the national polls.
Biden also has leads over Trump in a number of key battleground states, but the candidates are neck-and-neck in crucial states like Texas and Ohio.
The week in polls: Trump gains in 9 of 12 swing states, but Biden still leads in 10 of them
With just eight days to go to Election Day, both national polls and swing state surveys make it clear the race between Trump and Biden is tightening.President Donald Trump gained on his Democratic challenger Joe Biden in national polling averages, and in nine of 12 contested states. But Biden still holds a sizable lead in the national polls and is still ahead of Trump in 10 of the 12 states that could decide the election.
The former vice president has an 8.4 percentage-point lead over Trump nationally (51.9% to 43.5%), according toof 2020 presidential general election polls.
Gallery: The 7 states most likely to decide the election for Biden or Trump (Business Insider)
Here's where Biden and Trump currently stand in battleground states, per FiveThirtyEight's updating average:
- Biden has a slight edge over Trump in Florida and is leading by 2.3 percentage points: 49.9% to 46.5%
- Trump is leading Biden by less than a percentage point in Ohio: 47.5% to 47.1%
- Trump is leading Biden by a percentage point in Texas: 48.5% to 47.5%
- Biden is leading Trump by 8.1 percentage points in Michigan: 51.1% to 43%
- Biden has a solid lead over Trump in Wisconsin, and is currently ahead by 8.2 percentage points: 51.9% to 43.7%
- Biden has a 5.1 percentage-point lead over Trump in Pennsylvania: 50.3% to 45.2%
- Biden also has a narrow, 1.9 percentage-point lead over Trump in North Carolina: 48.8% to 47%
- The race is also tight in Georgia, where Biden has a 1.3 percentage-point lead over Trump: 48.4% to 47.1%
- Biden has a 9.3 percentage-point lead over Trump in Minnesota: 52% to 42.6%
- Biden has a 2.9 percentage-point lead over Trump in Arizona: 48.6% to 45.7%
- Biden has a lead of 4.9 percentage points in Nevada: 49.4% to 44.5%
In Morning Consult'sbefore Election Day, Biden has an eight point lead over Trump: 51.9% to 43.9%.
Other notable tidbits from the Morning Consult poll:
- The poll showed Biden and Trump in a tie in Texas: 48.1% to 48.1%
- Biden has a six point lead over Trump in Florida: 51.5% to 45.5%
- 85% of likely Black voters said they support Biden, compared to 10% for Trump
- 52% of likely white voters said they support Trump, compared to 44% for Biden
- Biden leads Trump with independent voters: 49% to 39%
- 54% of likely female voters said they support Biden, while 41% backed Trump
- 49% of likely male voters backed Biden, while 47% said they support Trump
Puerto Rico unearths over 100 briefcases with uncounted ballots a week after election .
Puerto Rico’s elections commission said it has found over 100 briefcases with uncounted ballots a week after the U.S. territory held its election.Francisco Rosado, the commission’s new president, said the briefcases were found in a secured vault and blamed the situation on what he said was an underfunded and understaffed administrative board responsible for counting a record number of absentee and early votes.