Three people have died of a mysterious lung illness linked to vaping as cases skyrocket
CDC encourages people to stop vaping as investigation continues
The Food and Drug Administration opened a criminal investigation into the vaping supply chain earlier this summer, it has emerged. The Office of Criminal Investigations started the probe following. The agency now says more than 530 people have been affected, and seven have been attributed to the illness thus far.
Officials suspect a type of chemical exposure is to blame, but the cause of the illness has not yet been verified. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea. All of the cases are linked to vaping or e-cigarette use. Some affected people used e-cigarette products with THC, while others used nicotine ones or those with both THC and nicotine. Some people used black market products.
FDA criticizes Juul for telling students its e-cigs are ‘totally safe’
In a letter published today, the US Food and Drug Administration criticized Juul for telling students that its vaping products are "totally safe" and "99% safer than cigarettes." According to the letter, Juul portrayed its products as "modified risk tobacco products." That is, Juul presented its vaping products as having "a lower risk of tobacco-related disease or are less harmful than one or more other commercially marketed tobacco products." Such claims can only be made with FDA approval, which Juul did not have.
The agency isn't targeting individuals for their personal use of controlled substances through the investigation,Mitch Zeller, the director of FDA's Center for Tobacco Products. The probe extends across several states, hundreds of cases and a broad range of products and substances, Anne Schuchat, the CDC's principal deputy director, told reporters on a conference call.
News of the investigation comes amid a regulatory crackdown on vaping and e-cigarettes in the US and elsewhere. The federal governmentwhile and have already blocked sales of them. Chinese retailers of Juul products this week, while India has .
Investigations against collapsed bridge operator in Genoa
Following the collapse of the bridge in Genoa, the Italian judiciary has launched an investigation into 20 individuals and the operator Autostrade per l'Italia. They face a charge of negligent homicide and disregard of safety regulations, as the Procuratorate in Genoa announced on Thursday.
You may also be interested in
head of government Giuseppe Conte said on Thursday, however, that nationalization is not the "only answer". Autostrade per l'Italia is a subsidiary of the Atlantis group controlled by the entrepreneurial Benetton family. The Atlantia share has fallen by more than 30 percent since the disaster. However, according to Contes recent statements on Thursday, the price increased by about four percent.
43 people were killed in mid-August when the highway bridge collapsed. The Italian Government accused the motorway operator Autostrade per l'Italia of poor maintenance and threatened to withdraw its license and nationalize the company.
More on MSNYour browser does not support this video X1
Apple removes all vaping-related apps from the App Store .
The company says it’s responding to the vaping ‘health crisis’“[We’ve] updated our App Store Review Guidelines to reflect that apps encouraging or facilitating the use of these products are not permitted,” said Apple in a press statement. “As of today, these apps are no longer available to download.