Technology Amazon Music now streams tunes to your Apple TV
Apple is reportedly in talks to let Siri play Spotify tracks
You wouldn't think that Apple and Spotify's relationship would be thawing out anytime soon, given that Spotify has lodged an antitrust complaint against its streaming rival in the EU. However, the two companies are reportedly discussing a plan to let iPhone users play Spotify songs, playlists and albums using Siri voice commands, according to The Information. When it unveiled iOS 13, Apple opened up the possibility of Siri working with rival music services via new SiriKit updates. If Apple and Spotify can work something out, you'd be able to play Spotify tunes using Siri from an iPhone without the need to open the app.
Spotify isn't the only large music service tothis week. Amazon Music is now on Apple's media box in 13 countries, including the US, UK, Canada and Australia. Pair the app through your browser and you can listen to Prime Music or Music Unlimited in the living room even if you're in an otherwise Apple-centric household. You'll have access to all your purchased and imported music, complete with ( ) synced lyrics.
The timing is certainly convenient for Amazon, which now has a direct answer to Spotify's app. However, it also underscores Apple's (slightly) more liberal approach to competing music services as of late, including Siri integration with Spotify. Even if that's, the end result is the same -- you don't have to be an Apple Music or iTunes aficionado to easily stream songs on an Apple TV. ,
Music: YouTube ordered by Brussels to better pay rights holders
The European Commission is taking part in the quarrel between YouTube and the labels on the remuneration of recorded music broadcast on streaming platforms. According to the "Financial Times", the European Commissioner for Digital, Estonian Andrus Ansip, calls on the Google subsidiary to be more generous with the rights holders of the streamed tracks.
According to(SNEP), on 50 billion tracks "streamed" in France in 2015, about 65% are on video platforms, YouTube being by far the main one. The rest is broadcast on audio platforms like Spotify or Deezer. But these videos, YouTube represent only 10% of the 104 million euros in streaming revenue in 2015, the remaining 90% coming from Deezer, Spotify and others.
40% of global music consumption but 4% of
revenue A YouTube streamer would earn 54 times less (0.50 euro) than a subscriber to a streaming service and 3 times less than the user of an audio service free.
The problem is the same worldwide: last October, Jimmy Iovine, the boss of the streaming platform Apple Music, had encrypted at 40% the weight of YouTube in the world music consumption, but only 4% its contribution to industry revenues.
Andrus Ansip, who is currently working on a European copyright reform, says that the low revenues YouTube has allocated to rights holders give it an unfair competitive advantage over rivals, starting with Spotify. According to him, the American, which has 1 billion users and is paid by advertising, only finances the music industry each year about 600 million euros, when the Swedish, which has 30 million paying subscribers contributes around 1.6 billion euros.
Next Renegotiation of
Contracts YouTube replies that things are not comparable and recalls that at this point it has paid $ 3 billion to the music industry, a figure that "grows significantly every year". some sources close to the US platform, only 20% of Internet users agree to pay to consume music.
Can the European Commission change the situation? In France, the SNEP expects a lot of it. But if he recognizes the problem, the European Commissioner for Digital also admits that it will be difficult, in practice, to bridge the differences in the treatment of rights holders depending on platforms dissemination. In the coming months, Universal Music, Sony Music and Warner Music have all planned to renegotiate their contracts with YouTube.
Amazon Music is coming to Apple TV. Here's how to set it up .
The new app brings access to 50 million songs.Amazon Music customers "should be able to stream music simply and easily on any device they choose," said Karolina Joynathsing, director of business development for Amazon Music.
Your Apple Watch can now stream music
The newest Apple Watch update adds a new radio app and supports streaming Apple Music. Scott Stein played with it for a couple days. Here's how it works.
How to Use Amazon Music App - Find & Listen to Music for Free!
If you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can use the Amazon Music streaming service for free! Watch this video to find out how to use the Amazon Music ...