Woman charged with serving meth-laced bean dip
An Oregon woman is under arrest after police say she shared bean dip with an extra ingredient: methamphetamine. Cassandra Medina-Hernandez gave some of the meth-laced dip to a fellow employee in the deli of the grocery store where she worked, according to a news release from the Marion County Sheriff's office.The co-worker began feeling ill, went to the hospital, and was told the dip might have been contaminated with meth, deputies said. A least one other employee might have eaten some of the dip, deputies said, but they don't think any customers did.
" South Dakota 's anti- meth campaign launch is sparking conversations around the state and the country," she said . "The mission of the campaign is to raise awareness — to get people talking about how they can be part of the solution and not just the problem. It is working." According to the Argus
Noem says South Dakota ’s meth problem is “growing at an alarming rate.” The Argus Leader reports a Minneapolis marketing agency created the campaign. South Dakota ’s Department of Social Services paid the agency nearly 9,000 this fall, according to the state’s finances website.
South Dakota's new anti-meth campaign definitely got people to notice. On Monday, Gov. Kristi Noem launched a program to bring attention to the problem of methamphetamine abuse in the Mount Rushmore State, and the slogan couldn't help but draw comments. The campaign is using the motto, "Meth. We're on it," and featuring various images of South Dakotans or an image of the state itself.
"There is a meth problem in South Dakota, and we need everyone on it,"about the new campaign.
Readers might do a double take over the double meaning. The state (apparently) doesn't mean "on it" as in encouraging its citizens to become hooked on the drug, but "on it" as in attuned to the crisis and trying to help fix it.
Sriracha meth bust: Police find $200M of drugs in hot sauce bottles
Four people have been arrested after allegedly trying to sneak 400 kilograms (880 lb) of methamphetamine into Australia in hundreds of bottles of Sriracha-branded hot sauce. © New South Wales Police The meth smuggled inside Sriracha bottles was destined for a Sydney drugs lab, police said. The boxes -- which were sent by freight from the United States to Sydney -- were declared as containing bottles of the chilli sauce, Australia's New South Wales (NSW) police said in a statement Thursday.
“ South Dakota ’s meth crisis is growing at an alarming rate,” Noem says in a video introducing the campaign, further details about which can be found at the aptly named website OnMeth.com. “It impacts every community in our state and it threatens the success of the next generation.”
Think of the things that are important to you. Use meth and chances are, they’ll all be gone. That ’s because using meth just once can lead to addiction.
Laurie Gill, South Dakota secretary of the Department of Social Services, says in the statement that about 83% of the state's 2019 court admissions for controlled substances were related to meth. The state has a website,, offering details about the program and how to get treatment or volunteer to help others.
Naturally, Twitter users had thoughts, especially after the the state has paid nearly $449,000 to a Minneapolis ad agency for the campaign in 2019.
Wrote one Twitter user, "For half the cost of this campaign I will develop an even better slogan: 'Drugs. Hell yeah.'"
Flagler County woman shows up for court with meth in her pocket, deputies say
A Flagler County woman was arrested after deputies said she showed up to court with methamphetamine in her pocket. Officials with the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office said that when Tessa Lilly was passing through security at the courthouse Wednesday the metal detector went off and a deputy asked her to empty her pockets. Sign up for our Newsletters After initially telling deputies, “I have nothing in my pockets,” Lilly removed a plastic baggie from her pocket and said it was her makeup, an arrest report said. Deputies said the contents in the baggie tested positive for methamphetamine and Lilly was placed under arrest. She’s charged with possession of methamphetamine.
South Dakota has rolled out a new anti-drug campaign warning about the dangers of substance abuse and costing taxpayers almost half a million. But its wording, “ Meth . We ’ re On It,” has drawn ridicule online. Taking a bizarre twist on “I am Spartacus,” the ads portray average South Dakotans – a kindly
South Dakota 's new anti- meth campaign logo. TV ads, billboards and posters about South Dakota ’s growing epidemic feature people of all demographics saying , “I’m on meth .” South Dakota is NOT on meth . They running a poorly thought out ad campaign though!,” @romanknitter attempted to clarify.
Even one of the Argus Leader's own Twitter accounts poked at the state, noting that while South Dakota is announcing, "Meth. We're on it," the rest of the country may be responding with, "Hey, um, are you guys OK over there?"
Turns out South Dakota has launched other questionable ad campaigns, and Twitter users remember them. A "Don't Jerk and Drive" campaign was supposed to urge South Dakota drivers not to jerk the steering wheel in winter weather. But some saw a more adult meaning to the word "jerk."
And a 2015 ad campaign promoted the state as a better place to live than Mars because it has air.
Other states got involved. Jennifer Brooks, a columnist at the Minneapolis-based Star Tribune, saw a chance for neighbor-state needling, tweeting a picture of Minnesota pointing at South Dakota with the words, "Meth. They're on it."
"I think we can piggyback on this moment," she wrote.
But not everyone hated it. Wrote one Twitter user, "Considering this is the only anti-meth campaign I've ever heard of, it's pretty genius."
And the governor herself responded that the attention being paid to the campaign meant it's doing its job. "Hey Twitter, the whole point of this ad campaign is to raise awareness," she wrote. "So I think that's working."
Man died from meth overdose before he was eaten by alligator in Polk County .
A Florida man, found eaten by an alligator this summer, died from a meth overdose before his body was ripped apart by the reptile, according to a medical examiner’s findings. Michael Ford, 45, was found face down in a canal in Fort Meade on June 27 and Polk County Sheriff’s investigators theorized he might have drowned before an alligator began eating the man’s remains. Sign up for our Newsletters A hand and a foot belonging to Ford was found in the beast’s stomach.“It is my opinion that Michael Glenn Ford II died as a result of a methamphetamine intoxication,” District Medical Examiner Stephen Nelson wrote in an autopsy report obtained by NBC News on Thursday.