Sport NFL Playoff Projection: Raiders have a clear path to the playoffs
Winners, losers from Raiders' comeback win over Chargers
Oakland's playoff hopes are very much alive after a rousing come-from-behind victory at home over a maddeningly inconsistent Chargers squad.Winners of two consecutive, Los Angeles needed another victory to remain alive in the playoff race. The Raiders entered Week 10 with a surprising 4-4 record and just a half game behind Kansas City in the loss column.
The NFC and AFC playoff races couldn’t be more different.
In the NFC, quality teams will be left out. NFC teams who can reasonably called Super Bowl contenders won’t make the playoffs. In this week’s playoff projection, we couldn’t find a spot for the Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Rams or Carolina Panthers. Any one of those teams would be an easy pick for a wild-card spot in the AFC.
But the NFL isn’t changing the rules before the end of the season. Six AFC teams will be allowed into the postseason. And in this week’s playoff projection, we have a fun entry as the No. 6 seed:
Winners, losers from Raiders' comeback win over Chargers
Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr gets emotional after Raiders' come-from-behind victory.
Hey, remember? You don’t hear them much anymore.
Last week’s win over the Los Angeles Chargers put the Raiders in a good spot. Everyone has talked about that brutal stretch to their schedule in the first half of the season, when they went without a game in Oakland for two months. Nobody talked much about how the Raiders’ schedule got a lot easier in the second half of the season.
Here are the Raiders’ final seven games:
Week 11: vs. Bengals
Week 12: at Jets
Week 13: at Chiefs
Week 14: vs. Titans
Week 15: vs. Jaguars
Week 16: at Chargers
Week 17: at Broncos
Aside from the game in Kansas City, every one of the other six games for the Raiders is winnable (and even the game in Kansas City isn’t impossible given the Chiefs’ issues on defense). Let’s give the Raiders a 4-3 finish, which seems a little conservative. That would put them at 9-7 and that should be good enough in a soft AFC.
Mahomes with stunning 63-yard jump-pass touchdown
Mahomes continues to do things that make our jaws hit the floor. © Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports The reigning NFL MVP, back after his two-game absence due to a dislocated kneecap, raised the bar on highlight-reel worthy plays with a stunning touchdown throw to Mecole Hardman Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.Watch as Mahomes eludes pressure coming from the edge, moves up in the pocket and then throws a jump pass to Hardman, who takes it to the house. Mahomes hit em with the jump pass and Mecole Hardman did the rest @PatrickMahomes @MecoleHardman4 pic.twitter.
Some other observations from the:
• The Vikings’ win over the Cowboys has huge implications. The Cowboys’ schedule is brutal. They have to go to Philadelphia for the rematch against the Eagles. Dallas has now lost to the Vikings and Packers (and therefore lost the tiebreaker), and one of those NFC North teams will likely get a wild-card spot. Dallas is a good team but it is in some trouble.
• Dallas might not have had the most damaging loss of Week 10. The Colts’ loss to the Dolphins will haunt them. Now they practically have to beat the Texans in Houston later this season. Not good.
• If the Raiders falter with that easy schedule, the Steelers have kept themselves in the playoff conversation. Pittsburgh’s win over the Rams was a big result for both teams. The Steelers are still in the race, and the Rams continue to fade.
• Back to Minnesota. Winning at Dallas keeps a lot of pressure on the Packers. If the Vikings can win at Seattle, they have a realistic shot of winning out. The Packers-Vikings game on Dec. 23 could be the de facto NFC North championship game, and it’s in Minnesota.
Best, worst QB performances from NFL Week 10
Lamar Jackson continues to excel. Philip Rivers Continues to not excel.A bit of NFL history was made on Sunday as a second-year quarterback did something only one other player has done in the league. We’ll go ahead and start there as we highlight the best and worst quarterback performances from NFL Week 10.
• Even with Seattle’s win at San Francisco, the 49ers still get the slight nod as the projected NFC West champ. The Seahawks’ schedule is really tough the rest of the way. But getting a Week 17 game against the 49ers in Seattle — let’s just flex that game to prime time right now — could be an equalizer.
– – – – – – –
is a writer for Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at or follow him on Twitter!
More from Yahoo Sports:
Report: No teams express interest in Kaepernick since workout .
The approach from teams has been no different in the wake of Colin Kaepernick’s workout than it has been over the past three years, according to Schefter.There are apparently talent evaluators out there who believe Kaepernick is good enough to be on an NFL roster, but the issue is likely that teams still don’t feel he could provide enough on the field to justify all the media attention and potential distractions he would attract. Kaepernick is now 32 and has been out of football for nearly three full seasons, and teams have opted against signing him, even with a ton of injuries at the position this season.
2018 Nfl Playoffs Predictions Road to Winning Super Bowl 52 Full Bracket - Huskyey
My Picks for the Nfl 2018 Playoffs Predictions. You don't have to have the best record to make it to the super bowl. #Nfl Predictions #Nfl2018 #Huskyey ...
2009 NFC Wild Card: Packers vs. Cardinals | "Most Points Scored in Playoff History" | NFL Full Game
The NFL presents the 2009 NFC Wild Card Playoffs between the Green Bay Packers & Arizona Cardinals! 0:47 Rodgers Picked Off by Rodgers-Cromartie 7:15 ...