Playoff clinching scenarios: Patriots, 49ers can join field
One spot down, 11 to go. The NFL playoff picture can get a little clearer on Sunday, as two more teams can secure spots.With the NFL in its final month of the season, the playoff field is starting to take shape. The New Orleans Saints became the first team to secure a place in the postseason with a Thanksgiving win over the Atlanta Falcons. And on Sunday, two more teams — the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers — can join the field with a win and a little help.
Schedule and Standings for the NFL Playoffs . What would the NFL Playoffs look like if the season ended today? NFL Playoff Picture . In The Hunt. Tiebreaking Procedures.
NFL playoff scenarios week thirteen . Bill Belichick and the Patriots can clinch a playoff berth The AFC and NFC have almost entirely different playoff pictures entering Week 13 of the NFL season . The NFC, meanwhile, has a number of teams that are in excellent postseason shape, alongside a
Here's how the NFL playoff picture looks with Week 13 underway:
1. San Francisco 49ers (10-1): NFC West leader.keeps them on top for time being. But it only gets tougher for Niners given upcoming trips to Baltimore and New Orleans. A win or tie this weekend paired with a Rams loss clinches berth for San Fran.
The NFL's current playoff seeding system is unfair and needs to be scrapped
The NFL's current playoff seeding system is unfair and needs to be scrappedBut things are not quite so fair at the bottom of the conference’s current seeding system. If the regular season ended today, the 49ers, who also have a 10-2 record with losses to the Ravens and Seahawks, would travel to Dallas during the wild-card round to face the Cowboys, who currently lead the NFC East with a record of… 6-6.
No NFL team has clinched a playoff berth going into Week 13 of the 2019 season , and only one — the winless Bengals — has been eliminated. It’s just a matter of time until that changes. It could even happen as soon as this week. As many as three teams can clinch a spot in the postseason in Week
NFL playoff clinching scenarios: Patriots, Saints There's still five weeks remaining in the regular season , but there are a trio of teams that can already starting thinking about the postseason entering Week 13 . Take a look at the 2019 NFL Playoff Picture here. Saints can clinch NFC South with
x-2. New Orleans Saints (10-2): NFC South champions. They served up some Thanksgiving revenge in Atlanta to become the first team in 2019 to clinch a playoff berth. Squarely in race for home-field advantage, too.
3. Green Bay Packers (8-3): NFC North leader. Time for serious self-scouting after setback at San Francisco knocked them from No. 2 slot. But Pack currently have just one more game remaining against opponent with winning record (at Minnesota in Week 16).
4. Dallas Cowboys (6-6): NFC East leader.is latest problem for Jason Garrett. But Dallas will remain in first place into next week regardless of what Eagles do.
5. Seattle Seahawks (9-2): Wild card No. 1.to move up but can't lose focus themselves with freshened Vikings on way to Seattle for Monday night meeting to end Week 13.
Bill Belichick won’t confirm Patriots will re-sign kicker Nick Folk
The Patriots are still without a kicker days before they take on the Chiefs.The NFL Network intially reported that Folk, who was cut last week after undergoing an appendectomy on Thanksgiving, would return ahead of Sunday’s game against the Chiefs.
Which NFL teams clinched a playoff spot in Week 13 and which were eliminated? The Rams became the first team to punch their ticket to the postseason By the end of the month, the NFL playoff picture will be officially set. But December just started and before Sunday, no teams had clinched a
Share All sharing options for: 2015 NFL playoff picture , Week 13 : Panthers Both the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers had the chance to clinch a spot in the postseason last week, but That's exactly what happened, and the Panthers became the first team to clinch as the Falcons lost
6. Minnesota Vikings (8-3): Wild card No. 2. Coming out of bye, they've got tougher path to NFC North crown than Green Bay. But Vikes are now two games clear of closest pursuer for conference's final berth after Ravens dealt Rams (6-5) potentially mortal blow.
1. New England Patriots (10-1): AFC East leader. Beat the Cowboys in the rain as they continue to try to extend their reign. But scant margin for error with the division-leading Texans and Chiefs next up on docket. Pats punch 11th consecutive postseason card this weekend by winning coupled with a loss by either the Steelers or Raiders.
2. Baltimore Ravens (9-2): AFC North leader., case bolstered they're league's top team. Pats one mistake from ceding top seed to Baltimore.
3. Houston Texans (7-4): AFC South leader. Recovered from their beatdown at Baltimore toand claim first place in the division outright. Week 6 win at Kansas City moved Texans from sixth spot all the way to third. But beware, Texans, as you emerge from mini-bye: Patriots are coming to town.
Mohamed Sanu might be a source of hope for Patriots offense
The New England Patriots have stayed positive about the state of the offense. But there’s no escaping the obvious: Over the last four weeks, they’ve regressed while averaging 18 points per game. It’s becoming clear that they need production in the passing game beyond receiver Julian Edelman and running back James White. Tom Brady has needed help. And there’s one skill player who seems to have fallen out of the public eye: receiver Mohamed Sanu.
Week 13 NFL playoff picture : Saints ' win clinches NFC South on Thanksgiving night. Let's take a closer look at the playoff picture as it stands now through the Thanksgiving Day games of Note: X denotes a team that has clinched a playoff berth , while Z shows a team that has clinched its
Which NFL teams clinched a playoff spot in Week 16 and which were eliminated? New, 1 comment. The Cowboys, Patriots, Texans, and Seahawks are now in Teams that have clinched their division: 5 Teams that have clinched a playoff spot: 9 Teams that have clinched a first-round bye: 1 Teams
4. Kansas City Chiefs (7-4): AFC West leader. Coming out of off week, they'll hostin Week 13.
5. Buffalo Bills (9-3): Wild card No. 1. Dismantling Dallas allows them to continue padding wild-card lead ahead of date with Ravens.
6. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-5): Wild card No. 2. This spot continues to be hot potato — Colts and Oakland, both also 6-5, have also held it recently — but Pittsburgh has reclaimed it ... for now. The Steelers host the Browns (5-6), who are playing much better than they are, in Week 13. Titans (6-5) also squarely in mix and can help own tie-breaking scenarios by winning at Indianapolis.
x — clinched playoff berth
Follow USA TODAY Sports' Nate Davis on Twitter
If you love talking football, we have the perfect spot for you. Join our Facebook Group, The Ruling Off the Field, to engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:
Related slideshow: The 2019 NFL Season (Provided by imagn)
Which NFL game will be flexed into primetime in Week 17? .
Each year when the NFL schedule is released, there is a noticeable empty spot in the schedule in Week 17.