Duck’s Dynasty? Backup Hodges leads Steelers by Browns 20-13
PITTSBURGH (AP) — No fighting. No helmet swinging. Barely any trash talking. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns kept things civil in their highly anticipated rematch, which ended the way they always seem to end at Heinz Field: the Steelers walking off in triumph 20-13, leaving the Browns to ponder how another one got away. Devlin “Duck” Hodges threw for 212 yards with a touchdown and an interception in his second career start. Rookie Benny Snell ran for 63 yards and his first NFL touchdown, and the banged-up Steelers exacted revenge for their whipping at the hands of the Browns two weeks ago with a 20-13 victory on Sunday.
BEREA, Ohio -- Baker Mayfield didn’t attempt a pass in the early portion of practice open to the media on Wednesday while his counterparts, Garrett Gilbert and practice squad QB Eric Dungey threw in position drills.
Mayfield, who bruised the hand late in the first half of Sunday’s 20-13 loss to the Steelers, wore a wrap on the hand with his fingers exposed. He handed off once during the session, but didn’t throw.
Baker Mayfield’s wife upset over question about Freddie Kitchens’ t-shirt
Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens created headlines leading up to his team’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers when he decided to wear a T-shirt that read “Pittsburgh Started It."Mayfield was asked about Kitchens wearing the shirt and whether or not it may have motivated the Steelers, and he defended the head coach with a lighthearted response. His wife Emily, however, was not amused. She criticized the media for asking about the shirt.
Coach Freddie Kitchens said in his press conference before practice Mayfield "should not be'' limited, but that proved not to be the case.
Mayfiled came back in the second half in Pittsburgh and finished the game, completing 8-of-15 attempts for 98 yards with one INT and one lost fumble on a sack.
Kitchens expects Mayfield to be ready to start against the Bengals on Sunday. The Browns need to win out and finish 9-7 to have a chance at the second and final AFC Wildcard berth.
In other Browns injury news:
* Greg Robinson was cleared from the concussion protocol and was at practice. He’s expected to start vs. the Bengals on Sunday.
* Browns safety Eric Murray (knee) who’s missed five games with his knee injury, was back at practice today.
Blackhawks place Andrew Shaw in concussion protocol
Shaw is the third Chicago player this season to suffer a concussion.Shaw skated 14:10 minutes in the Blackhawks’ 7-3 loss to the Avalanche on Saturday in Denver, but did not play in Chicago’s 4-0 loss to the Blues on Monday. The Blackhawks said Monday morning he was “undergoing further evaluation,” but did not give specifics as to what the potential injury was.
* Center JC Tretter (knee) got banged up during Steelers game, Kitchens acknowledged. It’s a possible knee injury, but one source told cleveland.com that he’ll try to gut it out. Tretter has started every game at center since he joined the Browns in 2017, and battled through a high ankle sprain most of last season.
* Kitchens said his decision on whether or not to activate tight end David Njoku is still day-to-day. He said Njoku has missed so much time, he wants to make sure he’s ready to go.
* He said defensive end Olivier Vernon (knee) played about 12-15 snaps and came through the game okay.
More Browns coverage
©2019 The Plain Dealer, Cleveland
Visit The Plain Dealer, Cleveland at
Kliff Kingsbury, Baker Mayfield express regret over beef from Texas Tech days .
Baker Mayfield and Kliff Kingsbury clashed at Texas Tech, leading to the QB's transfer. But the two have cleared the air and will meet Sunday.He throws a touchdown pass of more than 50 yards, 90 seconds into the game. The other quarterback goes nuts, but Mayfield provides a 30-24 lead with another TD pass in the final seconds of the first half.