Sport Extraordinary prosecutor to investigate meetings between Swiss legal chief and FIFA boss Infantino
Lionel Messi calls Barcelona 'weak' after Real Madrid win La Liga title
Lionel Messi was harshly critical of Barca after their rivals Real Madrid notched their first La Liga title since 2017 on Thursday. Barcelona's shocking 2-1 defeat to Osasuna coupled with Real's 2-1 victory over Villarreal dropped Barca to seven points beneath the champions with one match remaining on the domestic calendar.Per ESPN's Sam Marsden, Messi was brutally honest about his club after the loss amid rumors that he could leave the Spanish giants when the summer transfer window opens."We didn't expect or want it to end in this way, but it's a reflection of our season.
An extraordinary prosecutor was appointed Friday to examen criminal complaints made against Switzerland's attorney-general Michael Lauber and FIFA president Gianni Infantino.
The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) said that Stefan Keller, president of the country's Supreme Court as well as of the Administrative Tribunal of the Canton of Obwalden, will "examine the criminal complaints transmitted to the OAG by the presidents of the Federal Council".
The complaints target Lauber and Infantino "as well as other people", the OAG's statement said.
Banned for life by FIFA, soccer officials line up to appeal
GENEVA (AP) — The first of a number of appeals by former soccer officials banned for life by FIFA was heard Tuesday at sport's highest court. FIFA said Ariel Alvarado — a former member of its ethics committee — challenged its verdict at the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Alvarado is one of at least 29 officials banned for life by soccer's governing body in the last five years. The Panamanian’s case kicked off a monthly series of upcoming appeals at CAS brought by Latin American soccer officials removed from soccer after being indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice on various charges of racketeering, money laundering and wire fraud conspiracy.
A Swiss parliamentary commission decided in May to open proceedings as part of an investigation over a number of alleged secret meetings between Lauber and Infantino.
Lauber was suspected of "serious violation of the duties of office either intentionally or by gross negligence" and of violating "several duties of office" by meeting Infantino on three occasions in 2016 and 2017.
Three criminal complaints were made on June 11 to the OAG, which said it has since received one other related complaint.
If the extraordinary prosecutor decides there is enough evidence for a case against Lauber, he will request that criminal proceedings be opened, the statement said.
Lauber, 54, has already been sanctioned to the tune of an eight percent salary deduction, which he has appealed before a federal tribunal.
What is the world’s best soccer rivalry?
We discussed our favorite rivalries from best ever to most underreated.In honor of Rivalry Week, we recently assembled some of the greatest soccer minds from around SB Nation to discuss their favorites.
FIFA responded by saying it "welcomed" the decision.
"FIFA has been fully and transparently cooperating with the authorities and will continue to do so. It is also in FIFA's best interests for the anonymous complaints to be investigated as quickly as possible," world football's governing body, which is based in Zurich, said in a statement.
Infantino has not denied the meetings took place and last week called them "perfectly legitimate" and "perfectly legal".
"It's no violation of anything. On the contrary, it is also part of the fiduciary duties of the president of FIFA," he said.
FIFA has explained that the meetings were intended to show that the international football federation, which has the status of complainant in certain procedures, was "ready to collaborate with Swiss justice".
However, the legal uncertainty surrounding the meetings raises the question of possible collusion between FIFA and the Swiss justice system.
FIFA announce five substitute rule to stay until 2021 .
FIFA have announced that the new five substitute rule will remain in place until the end of the 2020-21 season. © Getty Images [ MORE: New PL TV schedule ] The rule allows each team to make five substitutes per game, up from three, and was put in place due to the extra physical demands put on players due to the suspension of leagues due to the COVID-19 pandemic and then the quick reductions and jammed-packed schedules. FIFA confirmed that the five substitutes will still only be allowed to be made across three windows during the game so it doesn’t disrupt the flow of play.