Sport Vettel is bound to be distracted by Ferrari axe, says Brawn
Vettel could walk away from F1 for good without right offer
SPIELBERG, Austria (AP) Sebastian Vettel is prepared to walk away from Formula One for good if he doesn't get a convincing offer for next season. The four-time F1 champion will leave Ferrari at the end of the year after failing to get a new contract. He faces an uncertain future with only limited options available for 2021 and has not started discussions with other teams. The truncated season starts Sunday at the Austrian Grand Prix.''I want to make sure I make the right decision for myself and my future.
(Reuters) - Sebastian Vettel endured a nightmare start to the season in Austria on Sunday and Formula One's motorsport managing director Ross Brawn suggested being dropped by Ferrari for 2021 had affected his concentration.
Vettel, a four-times world champion with Red Bull, qualified only 11th at the Red Bull Ring and then tangled with McLaren's Carlos Sainz in the race, finishing 10th for the final point on offer.
Spaniard Sainz is also the man replacing the German at Maranello next year alongside Charles Leclerc, who finished a surprise second on Sunday despite Ferrari's performance problems.
Leclerc podium cannot mask Ferrari problems says Brawn
Charles Leclerc may have scored a surprise podium finish for Ferrari in Sunday’s Austrian Grand Prix, but team-mate Sebastian Vettel faces a struggle with his concentration, according to former team chief Ross Brawn. And team boss Mattia Binotto warned, the scarlet scuderia and their fans cannot expect the upgrades package planned for the third race at Budapest to deliver a ‘silver bullet’ solution to their problems. Brawn, who guided Michael Schumacher to five drivers’ titles at Ferrari, is now Formula One’s motorsport managing director and on Monday suggested that four-time champion Vettel is understandably distracted after being told this is his last year with the
"It was a difficult start to Sebastian's final season with the team," said Brawn, a former Ferrari technical director and ex-Mercedes team boss, on Monday.
"Everything must be swirling round in his head, after he found out Ferrari did not want to renew his services for next season.
"Sometimes, the things that put off a driver are quite subtle. Sebastian has appeared surprised and shocked by what has happened and it must be a distraction, understandably so."
Ferrari lack straight line speed and the car is slower than last year's which won three races.
Vettel told reporters at Spielberg that he had been surprised when Ferrari decided in May they were not renewing his contract, and he had not been offered a new deal despite understanding he was the number one choice.
Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto said the COVID-19 pandemic, which put the season on hold in March, had changed everything. [nL4N2EA2OY]
"It was a disappointing race for me, even if we knew beforehand it would be tough," said Vettel of his afternoon.
"I struggled for the entire race, already after the first two laps, just as I had done in qualifying. The balance and speed I had on Friday just slipped away from us and I was really struggling to keep the car on track."
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Christian Radnedge)
Nightmare start for Ferrari as cars crash on opening lap, both retire .
Ferrari's nightmare start to the 2020 Formula One season continued on Sunday when Charles Leclerc collided with Sebastian Vettel on the opening lap of the Styrian Grand Prix. The Monegasque attempted to push past his team-mate on the inside of Turn Three, but rode the kerbs and instead launched his vehicle into the rear of Vettel's machine. The impact severely damaged the rear of the four-time champion's car, tearing off the rear wing and forcing him to pit and retire after a Safety Car had been deployed.